Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

jakkuh_t
Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

Just started now! Great concept though. I have an average computer (laptop basically) with a core i5-5200U and Nvidia 920M and a mobile shared internet connection. ?

But I think it should be sufficient.

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-11-09_13-59-18.png

4 minutes ago, PNG said:

Just started now! Great concept though. I have an average computer (laptop basically) with a core i5-5200U and Nvidia 920M and a mobile shared internet connection. ?

But I think it should be sufficient.

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-11-09_13-59-18.png

Every little bit helps man. 

Technically we're helping out by lending our computing power and not by giving money. We will still get higher monthly bills but helping this way is much more useful to the research!

What time zone is general (not event) daily folding stats done on? I'm thinking, this weekend I might go all out for 24h just to see what my peak rate is, but it would not be sustainable due to heat output...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Doing around 231k per day on full 24/7 usage with my 8700K and GTX1050Ti, but, as i have a FreeNas server with a Ryzen 5 1400 for transcoding 4K video to my TV i'd like to double my PPD by virtualizing two of it's cores and then adding a couple of cheap GPU:s to that VM. I have a fixed electricity bill included in my rent every month so power consumption is no issue for running this 24/7, I however don't plan to bankcrupt myself just to fold and that's why I'm here. Any recommendations for GPU's with a good output to price ratio under the 200$ mark would be much appreciated.

Posting my work in progress gaming rig for them street credZZZ

20181109_160027.jpg

21 hours ago, CmndoBrndo said:

Here's my AMD rig.  I made a bunch of money on their stock so I reciprocated by buying a VEGA 64.  That's a RX 480 hiding underneath it.  Makes for great DX 12 / Vulkan gaming.  Not pretty, but it works and keeps my condo warm during the winter months in Port Moody.

Is that an H55 I spy there? Great AIO, I had one myself back in the days when I had an A6...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

21 hours ago, m0nss7erKill said:

I don`t have any GPU to fold with, but atleast I can use my ryzen 1600. 2nd dead GPU for 2 years (GTS 450 and GTX 780) Currently I use the GTS, because works more than the 780. Both with bad memory. Its something

As a 780 user, hearing of dead 780s always pains me..

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Am I late to the party? I just got done setting up the client on a 24/7 machine here at the office. Barring a major power outtage (got it hooked up to a no-break) it should be golden for a few years to come. Hoping to get my name in there for one of the 1070's, been shopping around for one for a while, but down here in Mexico anything tech is pretty pricey. Would go great with the new PC I'm trying to build. Here's hoping, though helping out with important research in itself is awesome. Didn't know I could do something like that from my own home or office.

MoBo: Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 (rev. 1) | CPU: Intel Core-i5 8600k | GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2070 Super 8gb Twin Fan | RAM: 2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition | PSU: Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 650w 80-Plus Bronze | Storage: 1x ADATA 120gb SSD + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD | Case: Corsair Carbide 275R (white)

3 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

As a 780 user, hearing of dead 780s always pains me..

I  dont know whats my problem for killing 2nd gpu with same(kinda) memory issue

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 631 3.3GHz OC 1,450V core, stock cooler
GPU: Palit GTS 450 Core Voltage: 1037mV, Core Clock 860MHz, Memory Clock 1870MHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 4GB x1 
Motherboard: AsRock a75m-hvs 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 1070
RAM: G SKill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x370-F Gaming
Monitor: Aorus AD27QD

Starting to fold ! I'm starting with my gaming laptop i7-7700HQ + GTX 1070. Kinda modest compared to you guys but... Yeah, I like the project. :D

I'd like to add my Linux servers to the mix, but I have a few questions for the pro-folders (sorry if this has been asked, I kinda read the topic but maybe I missed it !) :

1/ Is there any non .deb/.rpm tarball on the officiel website ? I'd like to avoid installing any .deb files to my system, not to mention I have a Gentoo into the mix, and I'm planning to get a FreeBSD for other reasons that could join the troops later on. Again, if I missed it, my bad, it's late where I am. ?

2/ Most of my servers are actually VMs under XEN. Performance wise, what would be best ? Running just one instance on the Dom0 or running an instance on every VM, just to bruteforce it ? I'm leaning towards the first option, for I think obvious reasons, but maybe I'm missing something. :)

2*/ I just thought of something that could solve both my problems. What if I run a VM with a clean Debian just for the .deb client ? I shouldn't have a big difference than running it in Dom0, right ?

Anyway. Here's hoping my beloved companion won't have too much cramps folding all that.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:19 PM, jakkuh_t said:

Left my PC on full load for 3 days while I was on a school trip. Not yet sure if I screwed up my PC because 75 degrees for 3 days doesn't sound appealing, but at least I gained another 14k points and around 110 WUs.
image.png.be5c6c63ae291f5b8f87e370c2bdbcb3.png

Nice. Additional mentions on WAN.

We gained 752 people from the discord mention to make a total of 1042 people folding in November (As of Nov 9th).

I think it'll be cool analyzing the community outreach attempts and their effects upon participation.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 hour ago, Nusic said:

Left my PC on full load for 3 days while I was on a school trip. Not yet sure if I screwed up my PC because 75 degrees for 3 days doesn't sound appealing, but at least I gained another 14k points and around 110 WUs.
image.png.be5c6c63ae291f5b8f87e370c2bdbcb3.png

Have you registered for a passkey and edited your identity in the folding client to include the passkey? You should be getting more points than that.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

maybe the "Additional Contest Information" should include

• recipient cannot be resident of a geographic area with embargo of the prize

or a notice of alternate prize in case there is an embargo to a recipients country

Just now, dylanthompson2 said:

What do I do if it says my username has unsupported characters?

What username are you trying to use? You are able to use letters and numbers in your username, but special characters such as #$%*@#(%{}:" may not be supported.
If possible, try and use the same username for Folding@Home that you use on the forum here.

I'm not sure if it's a requirement for the contest, but it is mentioned...

Downloading Folding @ Home: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

Might need to double check with @jakkuh_t if it's a requirement of the giveaway competition for your forum username to be the same or not.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, dylanthompson2 said:

What do I do if it says my username has unsupported characters?

change user name? maybe?

So I’ve been folding for nearly a week via CPU only, my FirePro wasn’t supported. Every bit helps but I didnt feel it was enough... so time to upgrade!337ED3AF-73E1-4D8A-B157-F6A208C9B16E.thumb.jpeg.7122a220a9bd20e7e51d30d6aa9a6ce9.jpegA2603B3D-760A-40E8-AD6D-5A95003AD781.thumb.jpeg.e62b2e07f6fae9e0f512e8873a9f2bbc.jpeg

... not that gaming won’t benefit as well

@dylanthompson2 I just checked and it looks like the name dylanthompson2 is available to be used on F@H. If you're having issues with the other username you were trying, I'd recommend just going with the same username you have here.

Set up a passkey here:
https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey using your chosen username and your email address, and then download the client, install it and when prompted input your username, passkey and team number (223518).

nice will use my i78700k.gigbayte 1080 its a great cause my Dad died when i was 17 of lung cancer realy shitty thing to go through really hope they find a cure for this and the others i know of family friends who had Alzheimers 

16 minutes ago, andyme said:

nice will use my i78770k.gigbayte 1080 its a great cause my Dad died when i was 17 of lung cancer realy shitty thing to go through really hope they find a cure for this and the others i know of family friends who had Alzheimers 

It is heart broken and sad to hear your story.

I've started folding this month, and now I've joined the team. Earlier this year I built a simple workstation from an Intel Celeron Dual-Core G3900 2.8GHz Socket 1151 CPU,

a 250GB SSD,

a 1TB HDD, 

2 x Crucial 4GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM,

and an old 1GB graphics card.

I assembled this lot together, on a Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H Socket LGA 1151 mATX Motherboard, and powered it with a 

Masterwatt Lite V2 400w.

I started using this limited box to run my automated backup system; but I soon found that the majority of the CPU cycles were going to waste.

Eventually I dedicated those spare cycles to science by running F@H.

The machine needs to run 24/7 to do my ongoing backup jobs when they need doing; so I'm also folding almost 24/7 too.

I just joined up so I thought I'd stop by and say "hi".

Don't do anything that I wouldn't do. - But if you do; don't get caught!