Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

jakkuh_t
Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

Hey everyone! ?

I'm here to talk to y'all about Cancer, Alzheimer's, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's. They're are all terrible diseases that have had an affect on nearly everyone in one way or another, and we want to help. Researching these conditions in an attempt to cure them is an incredibly expensive endeavor, but for many people, donating to fund these causes isn't an option. Thankfully, there is still something we all can do: Folding @ Home

With your gaming PC, laptop, server, or really any computer, you can donate processing power from your CPU or GPU when you're not using them to help run calculations on a vast number of distributed computation projects. This massive shared computational power can help researchers learn more about these diseases in an effort to better treat them, and it can make a HUGE difference in the fight to conquer them. To achieve this huge collaborative effort, Stanford University started developing the Folding @ Home project, all the way back in the year 2000. It's a simple software you can run on your PC that automagically uses your processing power when idling (or full time if you desire) for the previously mentioned calculations. 

In exchange for your valiant processing effort, you can earn points that show off your contribution to find the cures, in the form of a friendly competition. The LinusTechTips community & forum has had a folding team, number 223518, since 2013 and we'd love for you all to join it!

You can fold with pretty much anything, your dad's old dell prebuilt, a top tier RTX rig, or presumably even a Raspi. Every little bit helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help promote the project we're going to give away a couple awesome prizes! ?

#1 - NVIDIA GTX 1080

• For this GPU, we will be picking someone randomly in the top 100 lifetime folders on the LinusTechTips team. This one will cater a bit to the long time folders.

#2 - Two NVIDIA GTX 1070's

• For each of these GPUs, we will put up an entry form on November 23rd, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST where you will be able to submit a link to your folding profile as well as a photo of your folding rig and we will select 2 random winners from these submissions. Entries will close on November 30th, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST.
  • Entries have closed.

Contest Info:

Spoiler

- Winners will be chosen on December 3rd, and will have 72 hours to reply, otherwise the prizes will be redrawn.

- The contest is International

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The goal for the Folding @ Home project this year is to have 1 million concurrent folders, so get on there and start folding! :D

Downloading Folding @ Home: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

More Information: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips_team-223518/

Monthly Leaderboard: https://stats.foldingathome.org/teams-monthly

LinusTechTips Folding Team: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/223518

Also, if you want to sign up for the official LTT Folding month competition, entries close on November 6th, 2018 (this is seperate from the GPU giveaway/contest)

Be sure to post photos of your folding rigs, your progress, and any questions below! :D  (We've got a rig running with two 1080s, a 1080 Ti, and a Titan X pascal) 

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

8 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

*redacted to not spam* - jakkuh :)

we have been doing this in new zealand for about a year now but with phones. the idea is you leave an app open over night as your phone is charging and they use the processing power to help cancer research.\

I'd fold but the only competent hardware I have to do so right now is a G4560 lmao. The (GTX) 480 kinda just doesn't. Have fun folding to you all though, and convenient timing too, no need to turn on heating as it gets colder due to the cards heating your rooms :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

This might actually be an Incentive to upgrade my Computer at some point.
Its completely optimized for an Audio Production workflow,
but for these kind of computing workloads the performance per watt is actually so bad it is probably doing more bad then good keeping it running on load :P

8 minutes ago, BoggerBoss said:

we have been doing this in new zealand for about a year now but with phones. the idea is you leave an app open over night as your phone is charging and they use the processing power to help cancer research.\

Actually considering, the performance is minor per phone, but the computing cost compared to power required is probably very efficient on an ARM cpu or similar.
I wonder how that would compare if you scale those numbers up.

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

18 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

Be sure to post photos of your folding rigs, your progress, and any questions below! :D  (We've got a rig running with two 1080s, a 1080 Ti, and a Titan X pascal) 

Is this going under @James or are you guys going to make your own entry into folding month?... don't forget about it.

Folding Community Board:

@jakkuh_t I think there's another deadline on November 6th for the overall competition.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Done. This is gonna run 24/7! FUCK CANCER!!!!

Desktop: 2014 Mac Mini 2.6ghz i5 upgraded to Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb Phone: iPhone 6+ 64gb RGB: Some random strip I got at walmart for 4 bucks :P 

Just now, Imbellis said:

@jakkuh_t I think there's another deadline on November 6th for the overall competition.

For Folding Month the deadline to sing up is the 6th. We will close signups at midnight GMT on the 6th.

Folding Community Board:

Is this global? Know some people from brazil with nice cpus .

Sounds nice. Going to use my main rig which has a ton of unused idle time while i'm at school.

Thing about this is that the people who already have all the fancy hardware to do folding are the people who least need a new graphics card

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

Thing about this is that the people who already have all the fancy hardware to do folding are the people who least need a new graphics card

That's why the 2 1070s are being given at random, you could be folding on a Raspi and end up winning one of them :D

widget.png?style=banner2

2 minutes ago, DatOneLefty said:

Folding using 2 GTX 970's that I once used for mining. ~130,000 points/day. And it heats my room that has no heater!

image.png.bbb2e9b2eea698c309a17b171954742f.png

Try running them without using 1x to 16x adapters. if you can. Folding needs the bandwidth. And with a passkey you should be getting 300k PPD each off of them.

Folding Community Board:

9 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Is this going under @James or are you guys going to make your own entry into folding month?... don't forget about it.

screw that guy! I signed up under moi. :D

widget.png?style=banner2

But there's also lots of people on the LTT Folding Team who are willing to put their old hardware out there to do some good even though it's not as efficient.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

Try running them without using 1x to 16x adapters. if you can. Folding needs the bandwidth. And with a passkey you should be getting 300k PPD each off of them.

it only has one PCIe slot, once some new parts arrive ill move one over.

2 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Everyone in the folding community including my self will tell you to fold with whatever you have. Its not a competition to see about PPD and its not mining where your trying to make money back off of it. Its all about working together to help fight disease. Whatever you have now go ahead and fold all you will be doing is helping us all.

Folding Community Board:

o0o I need a graphics card!

2 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

screw that guy! I signed up under moi. :D

and going to find every gpu in inventory and find a way to get it folding. lol

Folding Community Board: