Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

jakkuh_t
Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

I would definttly do this. mabye convert my parents old PC in to a all-time rig. Any OS requirements?

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

7 minutes ago, Dubious Gaming: bl4z3 said:

I would definttly do this. mabye convert my parents old PC in to a all-time rig. Any OS requirements?

Win is the easyest. Just get uip to date GPU drivers. Mac and Linux also possible ;)

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

Win is the easyest. Just get uip to date GPU drivers. Mac and Linux also possible ;)

Yeah but my only option is aids Oh sorry i meant vista.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

4 hours ago, skunkmunkey said:

Is anyone else having problems using the web client in chrome? I'm finding it won't display properly but works fine if I switch it over to Edge 

I have that problem on all my systems too. Don't know of a solution other than alternate browser as workaround. I just don't use the web interface any more, and use the client.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

41 minutes ago, Dubious Gaming: bl4z3 said:

You can use Windows 10 forever without a key, just can't personalize the desktop without one.  The ISO is free to download as well.  Worst case you use it for the month of folding and then you are done.

Ok. It has a Core 2 duo E4500 and i want to pt a xeon or a core 2 quad. what budget GPU could i get for it? 1030?

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

11 minutes ago, Dubious Gaming: bl4z3 said:

Ok. It has a Core 2 duo E4500 and i want to pt a xeon or a core 2 quad. what budget GPU could i get for it? 1030?

I'll just use my main rig which is a I3-7100 an a 1050ti. I'll just have it run when im at school.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

5 hours ago, skunkmunkey said:

Is anyone else having problems using the web client in chrome? I'm finding it won't display properly but works fine if I switch it over to Edge 

Yeah I’ve had issues with it in chrome. I’d recommend using the advanced client anyway (right click on tray icon > advanced client).

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

2 hours ago, Dubious Gaming: bl4z3 said:

its fine. For folding it will be ok. But you can get Win10 keys relatively cheap nowerrdays 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

16 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

its fine. For folding it will be ok. But you can get Win10 keys relatively cheap nowerrdays 

Ive been running non-activated windows on my main rig for over 8 months. it kinda sucks.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

22 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Would you like some computer with your cables xD

Why not ? ?

My next PSU will be full modular.

So do you have to put your system's picture and specs here to qualify for the giveaway or can you just fold?

4 hours ago, imreloadin said:

So do you have to put your system's picture and specs here to qualify for the giveaway or can you just fold?

From what I understood, no need to put a system picture and specs.

My main PC's vega FE and secondary PC's GTX 1070 are glaring at me...

Its getting cooler out here in nevada.

Hmmmmmmm

Might get back in to this, even though I can't win prizes lol

Started folding with a redundant laptop. A HP G5000 (G5056EA) from 2007 that runs Windows Vista 32 Bit on an Intel Pentium T2080 (been looking to upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo T7600 but there are very few on the market outside of China) with 2.5GB RAM.

My VAIO laptop is also up and folding (specs in signature). Desktop not folding just yet.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700k, ASUS Z170-PRO, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR4 (3200 MHz), ASUS 1070 DUAL OC, Corsair Spec-Alpha, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Corsair CX Series CX750M, LG 34UM88C-P, Corsair H100i v2, Corsair K55 RGB, Windows 10 Education

Desktop 2: Intel Core i7-4790k, Lenovo Sharkbay, Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB DDR3 (2133MHz), Gigabyte 1650 OC Low Profile, Lenovo M93 SFF, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Silverstone TX700

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCEH1L8E, Intel Core i7-2720QM, Sony MBX-247 DA0HK1MB6E0 (REV:E), Kingston Hyper X 16GB DDR3L (2133 MHz), Western Digital Blue SSD (500GB), Panasonic E233037 (CPU Fan), Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Windows 10 Home

Other Laptop: HP G7010EA, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, Crucial 5GB (4+1) DDR2 (667MHz), Samsung 960 Evo SATA SSD (500GB), Windows 10 Home

5 hours ago, Cysero said:

Started folding with a redundant laptop. A HP G5000 (G5056EA) from 2007 that runs Windows Vista 32 Bit on an Intel Pentium T2080 (been looking to upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo T7600 but there are very few on the market outside of China) with 2.5GB RAM. 

My VAIO laptop is also up and folding (specs in signature). Desktop not folding just yet.

How many PPD are you earning? That GTX 1070 in your desktop will earn you a few points if you get that going.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Got my rig folding all the time when I'm not using it! :DRunning a Ryzen 2700X along with my GTX 970.

Please ignore the bad wiring and such. It's an old picture and has since been fixed

993997866522755072-DctjqDMUQAEK6ql.jpg

On 11/2/2018 at 9:19 PM, jakkuh_t said:

Almost at that 10k mark just from folding 18/7 with a chromebook and 2014 i5 4210u laptop ; )
3cae485e4242d1a518cf2d287fe93c66.png

My Dad passed from Lung Cancer that had metastasized to his liver which ended his life. I miss him dearly and I dont have much along the lines of a decent PC but Ill use what I can for the cause.

Good luck to whomever wins!!!

i5 4690K - With a Tiny bit of over clock on it.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

16gb DDR3 @ 798MHz

ASRock Z97 Anniversary Mobo

Clearly the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW - I like EVGA!

120gb Samsung SSD 850 EVO

WD  Blue HDD 1T

Seagate SSHD 2TB

Also, please dont vommit! It was my first rig and I sucked at cable management.

My PC.jpg

Well, I haven't a good gaming computer at the moment, but I will at least try to contribute to the project! :)IMG_20181106_203644.jpg.d1d39d3924867f607f01dca49d27f97f.jpg

I have a 2015 Dell Latitude E5440 Business Laptop

i3 4030U 12Gb RAM 1TB SSHD

Pardon the photo quality.

Specs: Intel 4th gen i3 4030U @1.90 GHz | 12 Gb 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM | Intel HD 4400 2 Gb | 1 Tb Seagate Firecuda SSHD | Windows 10 Pro

2015 Dell Latitude E5440 14"

(And yes, I game on this...)

I am a high schooler who is a crazy tech wizard.

5 hours ago, dmynerd78 said:

Got my rig folding all the time when I'm not using it! :DRunning a Ryzen 2700X along with my GTX 970.

Please ignore the bad wiring and such. It's an old picture and has since been fixed

You've got enough CPU cores to spare that you could run 2 or 4 while you're using it, even for gaming.

When I decide I want to play some games, I bump my folding power down to light, which runs 2 of my CPU cores but not my GPU. I've got a Ryzen 5 1600 sitting in my rig.

2 hours ago, Churchles said:

So sorry to hear about your dad. I'm folding in support of Alzheimer's since it runs in the family and I lost my great grandmother to it. That's a really nice looking rig, most of us here have definitely seen much worse cable management.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Picture not current, I've changed things around a lot but my phone is in the other room. Been folding a couple days now, but forgot to sign up for the forum competition :(
c0733c8ca7_l.jpg

“I want you to be happy. I want you to laugh a lot. I don’t know what exactly I’ll be able to do for you, but I’ll always be by your side.”

Kagome (Inuyasha)

Main rig:

Spoiler

https://imgur.com/a/NLTfcyA

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 3.8GHz 12 core processor
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3000
Cooling: Corsair H150i Pro RGB w/ 3x Noctua fans
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1070 8GB
Storage:
- 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD (Windows install disk)
- 256GB Corsair Force LX 2.5" SSD (for video render output)
- 2x 2TB Western Digital Blue HDD (General storage including games)

Secondary rig (for wife and/or niece & nephew)

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6500
Mobo: Asus Z170-A
RAM: 1x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V series DDR4-2400
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: GTX 770

Storage:
- 256GB SATA SSD (Windows install)
- 1x 2TB Western Digital Blue (General Storage)

Consoles owned:

Spoiler

- Nintendo Switch 
- Original Playstation 4 w/1TB HDD // Original Playstation 3 w/500GB HDD // Playstation 2 // Playstation 1 slim
- SNES Mini
- Original Xbox / /Xbox 360 Elite w/120GB HDD

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

So sorry to hear about your dad. I'm folding in support of Alzheimer's since it runs in the family and I lost my great grandmother to it. That's a really nice looking rig, most of us here have definitely seen much worse cable management.

Yeah, my great grandfather passed from Alzheimer's as well. A noble cause to fold for.

Heh. Thanks I'll take that compliment!

Good luck

5 hours ago, Churchles said:

My Dad passed from Lung Cancer that had metastasized to his liver which ended his life. I miss him dearly and I dont have much along the lines of a decent PC but Ill use what I can for the cause.

Good luck to whomever wins!!!

i5 4690K - With a Tiny bit of over clock on it.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

16gb DDR3 @ 798MHz

ASRock Z97 Anniversary Mobo

Clearly the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW - I like EVGA!

120gb Samsung SSD 850 EVO

WD  Blue HDD 1T

Seagate SSHD 2TB

Also, please dont vommit! It was my first rig and I sucked at cable management.

My PC.jpg

If you rotate the cooler 90 degrees so the fan is towards the front of the case pushing air towards the back, you should be able to have enough clearance from the cooler to install your memory in its proper dual channel configuration slots.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

If you rotate the cooler 90 degrees so the fan is towards the front of the case pushing air towards the back, you should be able to have enough clearance from the cooler to install your memory in its proper dual channel configuration slots.

I have all four slots populated Corsair Vengence. I used the same brand with the exact same stats except its the low profile variant. But thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it came three years too late however lol!