Asus PB287Q a 28" 4K panel for $799!

TN panels are like HDD and IPS panels are like SSD's. After you use IPS/SSD, you can't go back to TN/HDD.

So very true, I used to wonder what all the fuss was about "it can't be that different?" well once I got my first IPS, I wonder how I even coped with a TN all that time.  

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

For now, yeah. In the future? Probably not.

Freesync requires Display Port 1.3. The tech for it is not available on normal monitors using DP 1.2 or anything prior to that. Laptops have it and i heard some TVs have this tech built in but no normal monitor had this yet from what i have found.

Now imagine a 4K IPS 60 Hz monitor with DP 1.3 (starts drooling)

I said useful for productivity and pro stuff (put prosumer in there as well). 8 and especially 8.1 got a bunch beter with the scaling.

Better, but still terrible for anything that's not made by Microsoft (e.g. all the decent browsers).

TN can still be a good panel. It has a horrible repuation because most TN displays are manufactured with the absolute cheapest and worst supporting technologies. Assuming the panel here has a good backlight and high contrast, it can be a viable solution for office use.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

so you guys are saying you wouldn't have a 4k monitor due to it being tn? wow

Once you go IPS you never go back. I blame Linus for pretty much converting me into a hardware elitist. First IPS panels, then mechanical keyboards... I wonder what's next.

I know for myself that I won't buy something that I don't really want. I begrudgingly skip some products if they lack a feature or two that I really want. I'm the kind of person that will skip out on a product because it has a glossy finish even if the pricing and specs are perfect. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Once you go IPS you never go back. I blame Linus for pretty much converting me into a hardware elitist. First IPS panels, then mechanical keyboards... I wonder what's next.

and SSDs... Although TBH it was not only him in all cases.

and SSDs... Although TBH it was not only him in all cases.

I kinda came to my own conclusion on SSDs

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Now imagine that but with 1mm bezels.

Dam you fake thin bezels.

Wouldnt matter too much because im not using them together as one monitor and they are separated by the spreaders.

Freesync requires Display Port 1.3. The tech for it is not available on normal monitors using DP 1.2 or anything prior to that. Laptops have it and i heard some TVs have this tech built in but no normal monitor had this yet from what i have found.

Now imagine a 4K IPS 60 Hz monitor with DP 1.3 (starts drooling)

You sure its in DP 1.3 because every time ive read about it they are talking about eDP (embedded displayport) not the desktop external variant. Either way just having the connection is not what solves the problem as that feature has to have been built into that display. Also its meant for power savings more than anything else with its current implementation.

Better, but still terrible for anything that's not made by Microsoft (e.g. all the decent browsers).

I wouldnt see why because the scaler in windows scales everything, which I really think there are some things it shouldnt touch, video would be one.

but it would look all sorts of sharp with scaling even if you didnt make stuff 4x as big. So no that woould depend on what you choose as your scaling factor.

I said useful for productivity and pro stuff (put prosumer in there as well). 8 and especially 8.1 got a bunch beter with the scaling.

That likely if it uses the same stuff as the dell which is likely. 30ps is enough for desktop stuff though.

it likely wont 4K will just replace it once prices get low enough.

but gaming man....

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I wouldnt see why because the scaler in windows scales everything, which I really think there are some things it shouldnt touch, video would be one.

What annoys me most is that UI of third party applications e.g. chrome looks like someone took a screenshot and stretched everything.

Wouldnt matter too much because im not using them together as one monitor and they are separated by the spreaders.

You sure its in DP 1.3 because every time ive read about it they are talking about eDP (embedded displayport) not the desktop external variant. Either way just having the connection is not what solves the problem as that feature has to have been built into that display. Also its meant for power savings more than anything else with its current implementation.

Yes i looked around and DP 1.3 will support the vesa standard for this tech. Problem is when will it be out and even better when will they adopt DP 1.3. 

but gaming man....

30fps locked vsync'd is actually not a bad experience. I mean its not my ideal one but its not a bad one.

What annoys me most is that UI of third party applications e.g. chrome looks like someone took a screenshot and stretched everything.

I mean that kinda is what happens, so what your saying is they need to use better scalers? The main problem with that is they cost a bunch more processing and none of the better ones are GPU native yet. For some stuff like madVR the scalers are starting to work their way to OpenCL.

Yes i looked around and DP 1.3 will support the vesa standard for this tech. Problem is when will it be out and even better when will they adopt DP 1.3.

Ok cool and DP 1.3 will be integrated but will the other hardware required to do this I dont know how much itll work into the desktop since power saving isnt vital.

Once you go IPS you never go back. I blame Linus for pretty much converting me into a hardware elitist. 

The evil temptress is likely responsible for $1000s in Star Citizen sales.

I'd spend ~1500$ on a 28+ inch IPS 4k with 60hz instantly, but there is nun :(

I don't know, paying that much for just a monitor is just insane to me considering what kind of TV you could buy for that amount.

I don't know, paying that much for just a monitor is just insane to me considering what kind of TV you could buy for that amount.

do they have non poopy 4k tv's for less than 1500$?  with 60hz?

I could always settle and get a tn 4k, but meh

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I think they make some that are close in price. 

Ok cool and DP 1.3 will be integrated but will the other hardware required to do this I dont know how much itll work into the desktop since power saving isnt vital.

Its not the powersaving they care about it's the variable refresh rate. And pretty much any GPU will be compatible. If the monitor has dp 1.3 the gpu will be able to tell it what refresh rate to work at.

Its not the powersaving they care about it's the variable refresh rate. And pretty much any GPU will be compatible. If the monitor has dp 1.3 the gpu will be able to tell it what refresh rate to work at.

Oh I know that but thats what the tech was designed for. Also any GPu may be compatible and DP 1.3 may be able to carry it but the rest of the internals of the monitor and possibly panel must be able to support it. That is what Nvidia replaces with their GSync module. Its kinda like 10bit support but in reverse, just because you monitor has it it doesnt work unless your GPU, OS, and program all have support as well.

no they will likely all be 30hrz which BTW is all you need foor a TV at least in the US since everything is broadcast 60i which after deinterlacing end up being 30p.

no they will likely all be 30hrz which BTW is all you need foor a TV at least in the US since everything is broadcast 60i which after deinterlacing end up being 30p.

I'm not using a 4k tv as a tv if I was to get one, I'd use it as a monitor

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'm not using a 4k tv as a tv if I was to get one, I'd use it as a monitor

Then get a monitor not a TV?

Then get a monitor not a TV?

did you even read what we were talking about lol...

I think they make some that are close in price. 

did you even read what we were talking about lol...

Monitors are usually cheaper and have a better quality picture than TV's among other things.