Asus PB287Q a 28" 4K panel for $799!

WHAT SOURCE DOES IT SAY IT HAVE A TN PANEL!!!! I

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

$10 says this supports it.

Id say unlikely since that spec was design for power savings not what AMD is using it for, so unless AMD let companies like ASUS in on this quite a while ago it probably wasnt implemented.

Probably none but its 28in and the Dell 28in was confirmed to be TN and since ASUS doesnt make their own panels and they would likely just choose from what available there is a very high chance it TN.

I bet it's a VA panel.  So far that is what cheap 4k panels have been using so I wouldn't be surprised if they have just scaled those down to 28" for these models.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

#inb4 eye melt or wallet death

Character artist in the Games industry.

Who's making the panels for ASUS? Is it Sharp IGZO panels again? I hope LG and Sammy gets off the OLED for a while and start pumping out good 4K IPS panels and saturate the market with it... I mean, whatever happened to the 31.5 inch 4K Samsung monitor that was on display at the IFA last year? If we get the big 3 pumping 4K panels, I wouldn't be surprised if 28inch 4K monitors hit $500 by Q3 2014.

too bad its not ips

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I would actually be okay with this panel being TN so long that it is not a tiled panel implementation like the PQ321Q 4k 3500$ monitor that Asus is selling. That has two 1920x2160 panels stitched together using two professional technologies that help keep the graphics card displaying frames evenly between the two frames. fliplock is the first technology, and it "flips" the frame buffer of the graphics card to output frames to the two panels at the same time, making them one whole panel. Scanlock, the second technology, has the graphics card scan the monitor equally, so it gets the information about each panel equally, so it can, as evenly as possible, process the frames to display. Even with these great technologies, there are some issues, like for example weird flashing in games, the inability to change to lower resolutions, and the distorted displaying of the windows logo when booting up windows (tested on Windows 7, 8, 8.1). Also, with fliplock, one could speculate that the process leads to some performance issues (the GPU processing one frame is probably easier than two). So if it is one panel and 800$, I don't care if its TN, because it means 4k to the masses is coming. And let me tell you, this is no Seiki 4k crap tv that previosly released, this probably has better panel quality than the Asus VG248QE, which according to reviews was a pretty good panel. However, that is to not say that I don't like IPS as I am considering investing in the PA279Q over the PG278Q with my new computer purchase I am making in a few weeks. This is because the difference between IPS and TN is drastic. TN can only display 255,144 different colors while IPS can display 16,777,216 different colors (equivalent to the signal that modern graphics cards output to monitors). TN panels, as a result, show color bands, or parts of an image that look like lines that degrade from image quality. There are solutions to this problem like dithering, where random noise is inserted into these areas where the display cannot render certain colors and fuzz out, for lack of a better term, these areas. Then there is Linus' review where he said that the XL2420TE, that is a 6-bit TN Panel, is the best gaming LCD he has ever seen and has almost NO color bands displayed. But, even with a perfect dithering algorithm, there will always be noticeable discrepancies and obvious color bands, which is why 8-bit is better than 6-bit. The PB278Q WILL bring down prices of 4k panels so that 4k is more accessible to the masses and encourages Nvidia and AMD to produce graphics cards to perform better, so we will have sharper, more realistic gaming experiences, so I am excited for what this panel has to offer.

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

For a monitor that could be flipped around like a pizza, you'd think it'd be an IPS panel for photoshoppers or something.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Probably none but its 28in and the Dell 28in was confirmed to be TN and since ASUS doesnt make their own panels and they would likely just choose from what available there is a very high chance it TN.

This and like I said in the OP:

Considering how their current 31.5" 4K monitor is selling for over $3000 I wonder what sort of compromises they had to make and how it will compare to competing products from Dell and Lenovo. That 1ms response time does sound nice but that generally means it uses a TN panel, but I really hope I'm wrong.

So no there is no source, but I doubt the first 1ms IPS panel from a big brand is going to be a "budget friendly" 4K monitor.

If this is the same panel as the one Philips announced it will also have 10 bit color.

TN panels are like HDD and IPS panels are like SSD's. After you use IPS/SSD, you can't go back to TN/HDD.

I was comparing two good TN and IPS panels at Best Buy (both by Asus) and neither really impressed me that much to justify spending over $700 dollars on one. Guess I'm just special and I can handle it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

so you guys are saying you wouldn't have a 4k monitor due to it being tn? wow

Whats the point when the colours are sh*t. I have a TN panel and I'm using it at the moment and even I know TN is crappy in every conceivable way to IPS.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

The PB278Q WILL bring down prices of 4k panels so that 4k is more accessible to the masses and encourages Nvidia and AMD to produce graphics cards to perform better, so we will have sharper, more realistic gaming experiences, so I am excited for what this panel has to offer.

- winny3141 :D

This is what it is all about.

There are good TN panels, the Asus VS series looks pretty damn good, has really good viewing angles, the best colors I have seen on TN panel.

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

WHO GIVES A **** IF ITS TN, WE GET 4K FOR $799!!!

You can already get 4k for under that price with a Seiki though don't expect quality

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00DOPGO2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389097347&sr=8-1&keywords=seiki+4k

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

WHO GIVES A **** IF ITS TN, WE GET 4K FOR $799!!!

exactly. Everyone here goes on about how they want 4k to get to a reasonable price. We get it so much quicker than any of us could have imagined, and everyone just complains about how their 800 FKN DOLLAR 4K MONITOR ISN'T IPS!!! I guess you just can't please some people

/rant

2.5K IPS > 4K TN

I'll stick with my 278Q thanks

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

I really wish they would have used an MVA panel just so I wouldn't have to read all of these people complaining.

Considering how their current 31.5" 4K monitor is selling for over $3000 I wonder what sort of compromises they had to make.

I'm assuming not a whole lot. The $3000 4k monitor they had probably didn't cost anything near that to produce.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

the panel type hasn't even been confirmed and yet everybody is complaining ...

Not announcing a panel type is usually like announcing it's TN unfortunately. But yeah there's no way it's TN unless the specs they published are wrong plus there are other 4K monitors at the same price point by other companies (Lenovo and Dell) and all hint towards being TN so it's probably the same panel, otherwise they wouldn't dare lower their price so suddenly unless they're a brand nobody knows/cares about (Seiki).

But yeah it's a relatively cheap panel with 4K resolution, so if you care more about resolution and refresh rate than colour accuracy and viewing angles this is the product for you, nothing new, really, it's the same story as always. I think a lot of people were already imagining this monitor with an IPS panel on their desk so their dreams were shattered when they realised it's almost certainly TN xD.