Digital Storm details its first Steam Machine

Gunzkewl

The Bolt II dual-boots Windows and SteamOS, and features liquid cooling by default — which allows the company to overclock the Intel Core i5-4670K processor to a speedy 4.2GHz right out of the reasonably small box. While the case features quite a few screws, PC builders will find components relatively easy to remove, with easy access to the hard drive bays, the memory, the graphics card, the slot-loading optical drive, and even the 240mm radiator with its twin cooling fans. There's also five USB ports and a variety of card readers integrated into the front of the machine.

Digital-Storm-Bolt-II.jpg

According to the company, the system may not ship with SteamOS until the new operating system is out of beta, and Digital Storm is still finalizing the machine's specs at the starting $1,899 price point, but expects it to come with a 1TB hard drive, a 120GB solid state drive, and Windows to start. Upgrades will likely include a GeForce GTX 780 Ti or a GeForce Titan graphics card, and an Intel Core i7-4770K processor. Digital Storm tells us the all-important Steam Controller won't come with the computer, but be available to purchase later on.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279860/digital-storm-details-its-first-steam-machine-a-hybrid-windows-and

THAT price.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Digital Storm.... just start selling cases already... thanks bye.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

What is the default GPU?

My guess is a GTX 760.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

May as well build your own little machine for that price..

People always say this as if they are surprised.  Of course it's going to cost more.  When you buy a boutique system, you're not just paying for the parts.  You are also paying for the customer service and workmanship.  Do people expect these companies to buy all of their parts from a site like Newegg, add up the cost of the parts, and sell the system for that much?  They would not be able to stay in business if they did so.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

People always say this as if they are surprised.  Of course it's going to cost more.  When you buy a boutique system, you're not just paying for the parts.  You are also paying for the customer service and workmanship.  Do people expect these companies to buy all of their parts from a site like Newegg, add up the cost of the parts, and sell the system for that much?  They would not be able to stay in business if they did so.

Precisely.

It's akin to complaining that a Bentley is overpriced. You can get a car which performs just as well if not better for less money - but there's not a chance in hell it will be as well built, as luxurious or as brilliant.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

My guess is a GTX 760.

GT 640 maybe ? You know, prebuilt computers and shit...

Jokes aside, for the price I really hope it's not a 640, but $1900 for a 760 would be stealing your money straight out of your mothers purse, and that is why I hate prebuilt systems. I do know they have to make some money out of their systems, but so much is just ridiculous.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

Hmm, I'd rather the parters with valve stick to a "console" form factor. I know that a steam box is just a PC with steam OS but if I wanted it like that I'd just load steam OS on my rig. I want the TV couch experience with a steam box and the console for factor goes a lot better with that. Just my opinion.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Precisely.

It's akin to complaining that a Bentley is overpriced. You can get a car which performs just as well if not better for less money - but there's not a chance in hell it will be as well built, as luxurious or as brilliant.

Reading the comments section of the article kind of made me upset.  I used to be ignorant of how these smaller companies actually operate.  Fortunately, I was actually able to get some fairly nice insight on the business side of things.  Jon Bach, owner of Puget Systems, actually wrote a fairly long response to a similar question I posted on their forums.  If I can find it again, I will post it here for people to read.  It was pretty eye-opening.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

@digitalnav you had your hands on one of these yet?

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Reading the comments section of the article kind of made me upset.  I used to be ignorant of how these smaller companies actually operate.  Fortunately, I was actually able to get some fairly nice insight on the business side of things.  Jon Bach, owner of Puget Systems, actually wrote a fairly long response to a similar question I posted on their forums.  If I can find it again, I will post it here for people to read.  It was pretty eye-opening.

Mm. I'd be quite interested in reading that if you do find it. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Thanks for the love guys! Currently, the only way to obtain this chassis is to buy a complete system. We may offer cases this upcoming year.

And yes, I've been playing and developing this beast for a couple months now!

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

THAT price.

This isn't a steam machine at all.. Whether they call it one or not.

It comes with windows & doesn't come with a steam controller.

All it is, is a overpriced small form factor pc.

The case is nice & I'd buy it for a small form, but the price is ridiculous.

Steambox

Comes with Steam OS

Comes with Steam Controller

At a price comparable with "next gen" consoles.

Now I'm well aware that valve stated there will be steamboxs with a variety of different parts and different prices, but you could build a desktop rig with the same parts for less. That's the whole point of building a desktop computer in the first place. There's such a small amount of people who would buy this, but there are those people, that to me it's not worth it for the company to manufacture or design a product at an insane price like that.

That's my rant/2cents on it.

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard:  Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($99.92 @ OutletPC) 
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($104.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card:  PNY GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($679.99 @ B&H) 
Optical Drive:  Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($88.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1792.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 14:00 EST-0500)

Larger harddrive & ssd.
OD & OS Because the DS has one.
PSU 100w headroom for OC
AIOLC Because DS has one.
Probably a better motherboard.
Form factor of case is larger because of the lack of slim pc cases, till more are released this year.
780TI GPU
Single stick of 8gb, you could grab another 8 and still be under the listed price.
Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the love guys! Currently, the only way to obtain this chassis is to buy a complete system. We may offer cases this upcoming year.

And yes, I've been playing and developing this beast for a couple months now!

No worries man, you guys make very good looking systems price is alittle steep for me mind, but that case is something I'm very interested in. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Should just sell the case instead.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx