Completely first time driver tips

Lilninjsways

So im a late starter... im 16 and a half and just got into drivers ed and passed im driving with my instructor tuesday for the first time (some old dude)

I live in the country so ive driven a "gator" and a golf cart the gator was in my grandparents yard and the golf car i drove on back roads thats it

Im completely terrified... im driving 2,000 pound hunk of metal at 60 mphs on the road around other potential bad drivers.... 

I need some advice please help me on tips 

( yes ive passed drivers ed yes i know the rules of the road) 

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

So im a late starter... im 16 and a half and just got into drivers ed and passed

I live in the country so ive driven a "gator" and a golf cart the gator was in my grandparents yard and the golf car i drove on back roads thats it

Im completely terrified... im driving 2,000 pound hunk of metal at 60 mphs on the road around other potential bad drivers.... 

I need some advice please help me on tips 

( yes ive passed drivers ed yes i know the rules of the road) 

Look where you want to go, that will assist you when steering. Mirrors are always your friend. I actually don't even turn to look behind when reversing, I exclusively just use all 3 mirrors at this point. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Look where you want to go, that will assist you when steering. Mirrors are always your friend. I actually don't even turn to look behind when reversing, I exclusively use all 3 mirrors at this point. 

Thanks will remember that! Anytips to clear my mind and just... drive?  

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

Don't be "jerky" with applying pressure to the brake or accelerator pedals. Try to use a gradual and fluid motion when applying them (except in emergency cases obviously). That way you're not jerking back and forth when you brake or accelerate.

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Look where you want to go, that will assist you when steering. 

I'd add to this that you want to look further down the road where you're going always, not just when turning. This will let you see when vehicles ahead of you are slowing down and give you plenty of time to react.

Also, texting and driving, just don't. People can fucking barely walk while doing it so just don't use your phone while driving. The father of the family you didn't kill in the future by just not doing it will be thankful. If it is something that needs your attention immediately then pull over and address the issue.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Don't be "jerky" with applying pressure to the brake or accelerator pedals. Try to use a gradual and fluid motion when applying them (except in emergency cases obviously). That way you're not jerking back and forth when you brake or accelerate.

When you've mastered the brakes of your car so well, you can come to a stop without that backwards jolt at the end.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Here are a few things I've learned over the years riding a motorcycle... I apply most of these to my driving as well.

• Just because a a person looks at you doesn't mean they "see" you. Assume that every vehicle is going to pull out in front of you, cut you off, and not stop at intersections. In neighborhoods kids can run right into the street, pedestrians wondering out in a crossing during your right of way, etc. An older fellow always told me to ride like people are trying to kill you. Always look for the "threats" main difference is you don't have to fear for your life nearly as much driving in a car.
  • It can be exceedingly difficult to see a vehicle invade your space until they're pretty much on top of you. When you pass vehicles try to pay attention to the driver's front tire. Some drivers don't bother looking or signaling at all and the front tire's distance to the road lines can be an easy reference and early indication of a change in direction.
  • I can't say this enough...make sure you ALWAYS have an escape route! If you get up on someone's ass and they end up hitting the driver in front of them, you're screwed. If you drive even with the guy next to you on a rainy road and the guy decides he wants to be in your lane, you have nowhere to go.
  • Pay attention to where you're going to be and not just where you are right now. Try to make it a habit to glance ahead often. With experience you'll more easily be able to find threats before you're on top of them.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Never not be flooring it, even for stopped cars.

/s

More following distance is better than not enough, but also don't hold up traffic by driving that much slower than everyone else.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Don't narrow your vision to directly in front of you, also look ahead of you, past other cars. Identify different signs, know when to merge before you have to so you can adjust accordingly, identify someone breaking ahead so you know you'll need to break soon too, identify items on the road and crashes.

So many people are so "tunnel-visioned" and only look directly in front of them that they are the ones that become a danger on the road.

Also a good tip, don't focus on the speedometer, look down occasionally, for a split second to identify what speed you're driving at and adjust accordingly if need be. Then eyes back on the road!

And please listen to the suggested speed around corners. They were put there for a reason...

Don't be like those people, be like bob.

At night switch looking between the stripes on the road if anyone is approaching you with their lights on. When you come into a turn, brake BEFORE the turn and once you reach the "max" point of the curve, start to accelerate. Carry sunglasses in the car you are going to drive, I always forget a pair no matter what. Look at the brake light a couple cars in front of you instead of directly in front.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

always look different directions before moving, drive slowly.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Being in a hurry leads to accidents.  Excessive lane changes are usually a precursor to accidents.  It is more desirable to get to your destination late and alive compared to having an accident.  Don't let emotions affect your driving; it's pure physics and you're in control of a lot of it.  All that being said, you aren't in control of other people.  I definitely agree with the earlier sentiments: have an escape route whenever possible.

Don't be a lemming.  Just because some fruitcake on the road is doing something stupid and progressing faster in traffic than you does not mean you should do the same thing.

Nothing will feel right starting out.  You won't start to feel comfortable and smooth with your driving for like 3 to 6 months probably.

Don't forget to use the parking brake before getting out of the car if you're on an incline and/or if you have a manual transmission.