Samsung unveils GalaxyBook 2 with Snapdragon 850 with ONLY 4GB RAM for $1000 | Everything wrong with the Pro 6 and more

AlTech
1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

$1000 nets you a really decent laptop/tablet hybrid. $1000 for a frankly limited machine is way too much. 

At that price, you can get either a refurbished MacBook Pro 13” or even a LG Gram 13.3” 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

23 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

At that price, you can get either a refurbished MacBook Pro 13” or even a LG Gram 13.3” 

Neither of which have a stylus / good writing support. So not exactly fair comparisons either.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Neither of which have a stylus / good writing support. So not exactly fair comparisons either.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-pro-5th-gen/8nkt9wttrbjk too bad it’s currently out of stock 

also, when someone just wants a tablet with low latency pen, there’s always the 9.7” iPad (128GB) with Apple Pencil for a total of $530 for the wifi only. Besides, the Galaxy Book 2 runs Windows 10S which is Microsoft’s way to lock down Windows 10 like iOS. 

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

14 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-pro-5th-gen/8nkt9wttrbjk too bad it’s currently out of stock 

also, when someone just wants a tablet with low latency pen, there’s always the 9.7” iPad (128GB) with Apple Pencil for a total of $530 for the wifi only. Besides, the Galaxy Book 2 runs Windows 10S which is Microsoft’s way to lock down Windows 10 like iOS. 

It can be upgraded to W10 Home/Pro. 

I would personally opt for the iPad over any Windows alternative, but that's besides the point. An iPad is still more locked down (enough to not be an option for some people). I also especially wouldn't touch WoA either.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes you can, as that was not the topic.

The topic was that 4GB should not exists because it is completely inadequate. POINT. 

According to whom? The price is highlighted in the title of the thread, and the high price tag is brought up several times in the opening post.

You might not want to discuss the price, but other people are. And if you ask me, you can't say that there is "nothing wrong with this device" if you willfully ignore the high price and what competing devices offers.

This device might be passable in a vaccum, but once you start comparing it to other devices or hell, even just look at the price, it becomes an incredibly poor choice.

The comparison between a Porsche and a compact car was kind of ridiculous too since people would in fact be outraged if the compact car was as expensive as the Porsche.

Stop ignoring price.

For a 1000 dollar device, 4GB is unacceptable.

You probably missed them. I have to bring everything up, because I can need to cover potential replies.

Is that what you tell yourself to dismiss the nagging feel that maybe, just maybe, you're a massive Microsoft fanboy who feels like he needs to take every opportunity that present itself to talk about how great Microsoft's products are?

"Someone mentioned the Store? Better tell everyone how their favorite programs are on there, and how it is becoming more and more popular!"

That is the impression I got of you, and I don't think I am alone in that. I think you should take a good, hard look at what you post, why you post it and what impression it gives.

I had a similar conversation in a different thread, but it was about a certain user feeling like they needed to preemptively prove to others how great Apple devices are. That person also came off as an evangelist.

So the key feature here is plugins, which isn't a concern for most people. Those who would need plugins probably would need other software that they can't get from the Store, even if the developer wanted too. (example: Developer - Visual Studio)

Hold on. The key feature isn't plugins.

It's, like explained in the post:

1) File association (a massive limitation if you use it as your editor for something outside of the handful of formats it seems to support)

2) The context menu options, which are also very useful in case you don't want NotePad++ as the default for some file types but still want quick access to it.

3) Quick access to the run option from within the program, which is very useful for a wide variety of things (web developers opening things in

4) Plugins.

I for example use 3 out of 4 of those things. I have NotePad++ associated with a wide variety of configuration files. I often open things from the context menu with NotePad++, and I use a few plugins such as Compare and Explorer.

You might not want the other things, or may dismiss them as "not necessary", but that is only true for you and your own personal usage, not everyone else.

If everyone just used a very specific set of functions then plugins wouldn't even need to exist.

The "most people" argument doesn't exactly hold water either. Most people these days doesn't need NotePad++ at all. Hell, they don't even need a Windows computer. Most of the things they do in their everyday life could be, and is, handled by their phones. That doesn't mean we should get rid of Windows computers.

"SOME" issue.. you mean 1 main limitation...

No, it's clearly 4 limitations, not 1.

As stated, Office already has a Touch Mode which is enabled by default if you are on a tablet or convertible device. 

UWP version of Office was designed initially for the Universal aspect of the app. 1 app for all Windows powered platform. Microsoft strategy has changed due to lack of growth on its mobile OS which has been discontinued. Windows 10 S still has Office, the full Office, the Win32 Office.  I showed you how to get it, with a step-by-step tutorial.

Did you read what I posted? You're repeating what I said. You can still get Office from the Store if you want, but it will run inefficiently on this device because it will have to use the x86 to ARM translation layer, since Microsoft gave up on their native ARM build of Office.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

According to whom? The price is highlighted in the title of the thread, and the high price tag is brought up several times in the opening post.

You might not want to discuss the price, but other people are. And if you ask me, you can't say that there is "nothing wrong with this device" if you willfully ignore the high price and what competing devices offers.

I think we all agree the price is way to high. But in the first few pages people were saying it was "impossible to have a good Windows experience on 4GB ram", not; "its impossible to have a good Windows experience on 4GB ram for $1000". 

Sure there were some people mentioning the price, but there were more that were just arguing the amount of ram only, so In that context you can ignore the price since the question is "can you have a good experience on windows 10 with only 4GB of ram?" of which the answer is "of course you can" 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

Sure there were some people mentioning the price, but there were more that were just arguing the amount of ram only, so In that context you can ignore the price since the question is "can you have a good experience on windows 10 with only 4GB of ram?" of which the answer is "of course you can" 

It can probably be summed up like this. 

Can you use Windows with 4GB of RAM? Yes, you can. Can't guarantee that it'll be a nice experience but it's usable.

Should you have to for $1000? Absolutely not 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 10/19/2018 at 11:30 AM, schwellmo92 said:

People complaining about the apparent lack of RAM are missing two points.

1. This is not a massively powered multitasking beast. It’s an ultrabook, designed for web browsing and documents.

2. Just because your PC uses 4GB of RAM doing X doesn’t mean you actually need 4GB to do that. Your PCs have significantly more than 4GB so your RAM garbage collection won’t be as aggressive as it does not need to, heck on my 32GB XPS I use almost 8GB with just Chrome open after a bit of browsing.

This is a 1000 dollar device. They should have put 8gb or ram into regardless if the average use case doesn't need it. It's not like it would have been hard for them to simply put in 8gb of ram and people tryring to justify a dumb decision like this is laughable. If they are going to put in 4gb of ram to lower the price then have a lower price than 1000 dollars. If they want to keep the 1000 dollar price tag then they need to put in 8gb or ram. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

This is a 1000 dollar device. They should have put 8gb or ram into regardless if the average use case doesn't need it. It's not like it would have been hard for them to simply put in 8gb of ram and people tryring to justify a dumb decision like this is laughable. If they are going to put in 4gb of ram to lower the price then have a lower price than 1000 dollars. If they want to keep the 1000 dollar price tag then they need to put in 8gb or ram. 

Eh I think the price is about right, the screen by itself would be insanely expensive.

On 10/19/2018 at 3:33 PM, yolosnail said:

So let me get this straight, everybody is complaining because this tablet ONLY has 4GB of RAM. 

In what realistic situation would somebody using this device actually require more RAM?

Surely the ARM processor is going to bottleneck you well before the 4GB RAM.

To me, this is like Ford announcing the new Fiesta and everybody complaining because it doesn't come with a V8, of course it bloody doesn't! If you want a car with a V8, buy a car that can actually handle the power

I have a tablet that I take with me when I can't carry my laptop, and when I need more power, I just remote into my desktop at home and use that.

The analogy would only work if the new fiesta cost 100,000 dollars. Also this isn't the processor but ram so to be talking about motors wouldn't make sense.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

Eh I think the price is about right, the screen by itself would be insanely expensive.

It makes 0 sense to not put 8gb of ram in it for that price. It's kinda of silly that you are trying justify this decison. 4 is just insulting at that price piont. 

On 10/19/2018 at 7:53 PM, GoodBytes said:

There you go, with 2GB of RAM

• Chrome with 6 fully loaded tabs, including 1x 1080p video (4K but picked 1080p)
  • Outlook
  • Spotify playing a randomly selected music that I never played before (if that matters)
  • Weather app
  • Microsoft Store app ('cause why not)
  • OneDrive (background process - Windows default - setup)
  • Windows Security/Defender (Windows default - background process)

Windows 10 is at its default configurations, logged into a Microsoft linked account (if that also matters). Cortana is enabled (not "Hey Cortana" voice recognition, though - its Windows default)

Image1.thumb.png.06da356775c028aff3ae09b88020b1a1.png

Specs:

• Windows 10 Pro - Version 1809 Build 18262.1000 - Insider - Fast Ring - 64-bit
  • Core i7 930 @ 2.8GHz (no OC)
  • 2GB of RAM - G.Skill DDR3-1600 CL7-8-7-24 1.5v - 1x module installed (system has 6GB normally,but I installed 1 out of 3)
  • GeForce GTX 680
  • OCZ Vertex 4 - 256GB on SATA-2
  • 1920x1200 screen resolution - 16:10 - Dell U2410
  • ASUS Xonar Essence STX - sound card

Memory floating between 1.5 to 1.7GB. System is still responsive. No wait time delay between switching app, although experience has diminished from 6GB of RAM, which is expected.

Now can we go to bed? Or you really want me to try 4GB of RAM?

You have dedicated memory for the gpu unlike an igpu that uses system memory.