FFXV - To buy, or not to buy

DVA

Hey guys, so I recently got back into PC gaming and I was wondering if this game is worth it or not. Final Fantasy XV currently priced at $25 USD on steam. I loved FF-X and a few others such as FF-XI/FF-VII

No idea how these games are now a days. https://store.steampowered.com/app/637650/FINAL_FANTASY_XV_WINDOWS_EDITION/

I know it's subjective but I wanted to hear from anyone whos played it and can say some things about it. 

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

15 is a great game and is sooooo stunning to look at.

So...so far I'll take that as a +1 recommended? :D

Oh and is it worth the 25 bucks at the moment or will it likely fall further during B-Friday? I haven't kept up with prices either so I have no clue. 

Just now, DVA said:

So...so far I'll take that as a +1 recommended? :D

Oh and is it worth the 25 bucks at the moment or will it likely fall further during B-Friday? I haven't kept up with prices either so I have no clue. 

JRPG's tend to not be too volatile in price, i'd go for it.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I played that game twice, one on launch and the other on PC when it released. For that price it's basically a steal. You're gonna like it. Also make sure you watch Kingsglaive before playing the game, it kinda helps understand what's happening. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

2 minutes ago, Kaita said:

I played that game twice, one on launch and the other on PC when it released. For that price it's basically a steal. You're gonna like it. Also make sure you watch Kingsglaive before playing the game, it kinda helps understand what's happening. 

Sweet! Thanks! I'll be sure to watch it. 

Put it this way. My GF pirated it to try and then bought legit soon after because she loved it.

5 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Put it this way. My GF pirated it to try and then bought legit soon after because she loved it.

Dammit, a comment that made me actually lol. 

Now that's a vouch that can convince me to get it! Thanks!

3 hours ago, DVA said:

Hey guys, so I recently got back into PC gaming and I was wondering if this game is worth it or not. Final Fantasy XV currently priced at $25 USD on steam. I loved FF-X and a few others such as FF-XI/FF-VII

No idea how these games are now a days. https://store.steampowered.com/app/637650/FINAL_FANTASY_XV_WINDOWS_EDITION/

I know it's subjective but I wanted to hear from anyone whos played it and can say some things about it. 

Thanks. 

No, get 12 first, after that I'd think about either Ni No Kuni 2 or rather Dragon Quest 11.

I didn't like FF-15 too much...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, DVA said:

I loved FF-X and a few others such as FF-XI/FF-VII

This statement alone should make it worth it to YOU. I'm not very into the genre so I just uninstalled it after running around for like 10 minutes aimlessly.

I'd get it. I have not regretted my playthrough. Be sure to play all the relevant "Episodes" related to your bros because they give a better perspective and understanding of what's going on.

I will be definitely doing a second playthrough once Episodes Lunafreya, Noctis, Aranea and Ardyn release.

I'd also watch Kingsglaive before playing as it will give you a nice supplementary information 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

23 hours ago, Kaita said:

This is bullshit. You shouldn't have to watch an entire movie AND an anime show before you play the game to know what the hell is happening.

So, alright, I haven't played it, but I've been keeping an eye on it to see if it's worth buying and I keep coming to... "I just... don't know..."

So as someone who HASN'T played it, but has seen lots of reviews and critiques:

• The story is incomplete. There's things that happen offscreen, like major events, but you have no part and learn very little to nothing about it. I actually don't have an issue with big events happening offscreen that you aren't a part of, and the creator claims to have been aiming for putting you solely in Noctis's shoes. This doesn't really hold up, because things happen but you're not really told what, why, or what the implications are. There's also cutscenes that are away from Noctis, so the whole "one perspective" thing doesn't really work.
  • The events of the precursor movie and anime are practically required to understand and maybe enjoy the game, but aren't involved anywhere within the game. So if you don't watch it, you don't know who the characters are, who they're tied to, what the locations are, or what's happening in general.
  • The combat is real time, but it's one of those "Just hold the attack button and the fight happens" deals. It's up to you if you like that or not.
  • Apparently most if not all of the side missions are the generic fetch quests. Exciting. Interesting.
  • So... you basically come around to looking for some special, mystical, magic swords and weapons and one of them is stolen. You find it in some kind of laboratory deep under a cave that you ride an elevator to get to, and there's a dragon/wyvern thing down there guarding it. It's not a unique enemy, and nothing about any of it is explained. Not the undergound lab, not the wyvern or why it has the magic sword. The wyvern itself is also one of those Chinese pre-made asset things. I guess there was a Chinese company that helped work on the game so... TA-DA!
  • Someone mentioned the "Episodes." So what these are is missing information from the main game. At some point each of your 3 boy band back up dancers will just... take off for a while? to do... things? They don't say what, or why, and when they come back they don't say anything about it. It's bizarre and unexplained, and I think it's supposed to be like a character growth thing, but it's never talked about outside the episode DLC's that were made after what was basically fan outrage.
  • The graphics are pretty.

Pretty sure this is where I got most of that.

I've only played 1 Final Fantasy on Gameboy, didn't beat it, and don't even remember which it was, so it "not being as good as the previous ones" wouldn't bother me.

#Muricaparrotgang

You don't need to watch the movie to understand or enjoy the game. My friend played through this game twice before knowing that the movie existed and she loved it. The movie is added lore about specifics of what happens in the beginning of the game in a different location from where you're at. You get the gist of it from the game. It's a decent movie, but it definitely doesn't take away from the game if you don't see it. I've played about 25 hours of it myself and I have mixed feeling about the game, mostly due to the annoying combat system. I feel like they balanced the game around you taking a beating and sucking back hundreds of health potions. I still get slammed by creatures half my level and I feel like I"m either lagging or creatures can damage me while I'm invisible during his dodge/teleport skill. However, I enjoy most other aspects of the game. For 25 dollars, I'd say it's worth it.

I would suggest downloading the demo and trying it out first. You still have some time before the sale ends.

15 hours ago, Inelastic said:

The movie is added lore about specifics of what happens in the beginning of the game in a different location from where you're at. You get the gist of it from the game. It's a decent movie, but it definitely doesn't take away from the game if you don't see it.

That is quite a lie tbh. The In-depth review in the above video clearly states all the problems with the game. The "game" is fun as a mindless hack n slash with FF elements that looks pretty, as an actual FF game with a good cohesive story it sucks balls.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

1 hour ago, Noctus said:

That is quite a lie tbh. The In-depth review in the above video clearly states all the problems with the game. The "game" is fun as a mindless hack n slash with FF elements that looks pretty, as an actual FF game with a good cohesive story it sucks balls.

Why do you think I'm lying? Why do you think I'm purposely trying to deceive the OP? Just because that reviewer hated the game doesn't mean I'm lying. You may disagree with me, but that doesn't mean I'm lying. I watched the movie and played enough of the game to know that what you find out about those events in the game is enough to understand what is happening. A friend of mine didn't even know the movie existed played through it and was able to understand and enjoy the game. Why is it necessary to know every single detail about that movie in order to understand or enjoy a game that takes place elsewhere in the world? Why isn't what's given in the game enough to be able to understand or enjoy the game?

1 minute ago, Inelastic said:

Why do you think I'm lying? Why do you think I'm purposely trying to deceive the OP? Just because that reviewer hated the game doesn't mean I'm lying. You may disagree with me, but that doesn't mean I'm lying. I watched the movie and played enough of the game to know that what you find out about those events in the game is enough to understand what is happening. Why is it necessary to know every single detail about that movie in order to understand or enjoy a game that takes place elsewhere in the world? Why isn't what's given in the game enough to be able to understand or enjoy the game?

Because they purposely cut content and put part of it into a movie and the other into anime. I've watched / played all 3 and what he states is the truth. The game is incomplete, yes it's "fun" but don't waste money on it if, as ive stated, you are looking for a genuine FF experience.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

2 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Because they purposely cut content and put part of it into a movie and the other into anime. I've watched / played all 3 and what he states is the truth. The game is incomplete, yes it's "fun" but don't waste money on it if, as ive stated, you are looking for a genuine FF experience.

That doesn't answer my question about why you think I'm lying or why it's needed to understand or enjoy the game.

41 minutes ago, Inelastic said:

That doesn't answer my question about why you think I'm lying or why it's needed to understand or enjoy the game.

I've done just that over 2 posts. It's not my fault it's not the answer you're wanting.

17 hours ago, Inelastic said:

You don't need to watch the movie to understand or enjoy the game. My friend played through this game twice before knowing that the movie existed and she loved it. The movie is added lore about specifics of what happens in the beginning of the game in a different location from where you're at. You get the gist of it from the game. It's a decent movie, but it definitely doesn't take away from the game if you don't see it. I've played about 25 hours of it myself and I have mixed feeling about the game, mostly due to the annoying combat system. I feel like they balanced the game around you taking a beating and sucking back hundreds of health potions. I still get slammed by creatures half my level and I feel like I"m either lagging or creatures can damage me while I'm invisible during his dodge/teleport skill. However, I enjoy most other aspects of the game. For 25 dollars, I'd say it's worth it.

I would suggest downloading the demo and trying it out first. You still have some time before the sale ends.

As far as I could manage to discover (Again not having played it, though I did watch the first hour or two) You start off as Noctis with his boy band back up dancers going on a road trip. Okay, fine.

You at some point find out there's a girl named Lunafreya you're supposed to marry for some reason?

There's 2 or 3 kingdoms which I guess are at war?

You get a hotel or something and one of your members reads that some kingdom was attacked and that's really bad? I guess that's where Noctis is from...

Who actually is Noctis? He's a prince? Prince of what?

What's Noctis's "kingdom" like?

Why is he taking a road trip to meet Freya for a marriage instead of doing the significantly faster option of flying? Does he just want to road trip with his buddies?

How dangerous could the antagonist empire or whatever be if the Prince and his boy band are just cruising around in an open top convertible?

Based on that video, the movie and Anime explains all of those which ARE fundamental to the story, not just some little needless bits of info. When I first watched the beginning of the game and they read the newspaper I still had no idea that Noctis was the prince of the... place whatever it was called, still don't know why he's going to meet Freya, why they inexplicably have no money... none of it makes any sense.

How in the literal fuck do you just start a story with "Here's a prince of Lala land. he's going to marry someone and there's some sort of war going on." and then an hour later you're told from a newspaper clipping that "The princes kingdom of Lala land has been destroyed. He is upset about it."

And then... I still don't know what the goal after that was? He runs around and collects magical weapons because? Are these 4 planning to take down an empire? The fuck is the point of Freya?

Also mentioned in that video is the combat, where he figured out how shallow it is by beating the optional superboss at as low a level as possible.

I'm still open to liking the game, but it does seem very incomplete.

#Muricaparrotgang

6 minutes ago, Noctus said:

I've done just that over 2 posts. It's not my fault it's not the answer you're wanting.

So you think I agree with you that the movie is necessary to understand the game and that I'm purposely saying a false statement? That's what I'm going on about. If you said "you're wrong" or "I disagree with you" that would be one thing, but you said that what I said was a "lie." You only gave answers to what would be if you said "you're wrong." You never told me why you think I purposely said a false statement.

18 hours ago, Inelastic said:

You don't need to watch the movie to understand or enjoy the game. My friend played through this game twice before knowing that the movie existed and she loved it. The movie is added lore about specifics of what happens in the beginning of the game in a different location from where you're at. You get the gist of it from the game. It's a decent movie, but it definitely doesn't take away from the game if you don't see it.

This apparently. He thinks this is a lie and you need to watch the movie and anime to understand the world, locations, and characters.

And it's not just him or the disappointed reviewer, it's a pretty large section of the community which is why the creator came out and publicly said the story wasn't very good and incomplete.

Which might also have been mentioned in the video...

So, even in the creators eyes that statement is false. And false = true lies.

#Muricaparrotgang

9 minutes ago, Inelastic said:

So you think I agree with you that the movie is necessary to understand the game and that I'm purposely saying a false statement? That's what I'm going on about. If you said "you're wrong" or "I disagree with you" that would be one thing, but you said that what I said was a "lie." You only gave answers to what would be if you said "you're wrong." You never told me why you think I purposely said a false statement.

I pointed you (and the OP) to 50ish mins of video for the point i made, watch it. Since i really cba typing out 50mins worth of video.

6 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

This apparently. He thinks this is a lie and you need to watch the movie and anime to understand the world, locations, and characters.

And it's not just him or the disappointed reviewer, it's a pretty large section of the community which is why the creator came out and publicly said the story wasn't very good and incomplete.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

From Merriam-Webster: " to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lie

Lying and being wrong are not the same thing. Even if I'm wrong, I'm not lying; I'm wrong. I'm not commenting on whether or not the story is incomplete or not very good. What I said is that it's unnecessary to understand or enjoy the game. I guess that's more of an opinion than fact really. Perhaps it is necessary for some people, but not all. I'm also saying that I feel like it's worth 25 dollars, which it is to me.

@Noctus I get what you're saying. Read above; lying and being wrong are not the same thing.

10 minutes ago, Inelastic said:

From Merriam-Webster: " to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lie

Lying and being wrong are not the same thing. Even if I'm wrong, I'm not lying; I'm wrong. I'm not commenting on whether or not the story is incomplete or not very good. What I said is that it's unnecessary to understand or enjoy the game. I guess that's more of an opinion than fact really. Perhaps it is necessary for some people, but not all. I'm also saying that I feel like it's worth 25 dollars, which it is to me.

@Noctus I get what you're saying. Read above; lying and being wrong are not the same thing.

From IMDB "A fearless, globe-trotting, terrorist-battling secret agent has his life turned upside down when he discovers his wife might be having an affair with a used car salesman while terrorists smuggle nuclear war heads into the United States."

I also like how sometimes people bring up dictionary definitions for no reason. Is English your second language, because it's pretty common usage to claim what you said as both "false" and a "lie." I mean, it's not like the argument between figuratively and literally, or I could care less when you really mean you couldn't care less. 

#Muricaparrotgang

17 minutes ago, Inelastic said:

A partial lie then. To enjoy the game, no. Since enjoyment has infinite degrees of variety. But to understand the Story? The Story of FF15 was split and to understand it, you need to view all media to do so.