FFXV - To buy, or not to buy

DVA
44 minutes ago, Noctus said:

A partial lie then. To enjoy the game, no. Since enjoyment has infinite degrees of variety. But to understand the Story? The Story of FF15 was split and to understand it, you need to view all media to do so.

You keep equating the word "lie" with "wrong." They aren't the same thing. There was nothing in what I said that was purposely meant to be wrong or to deceive. Just say I was wrong.

However, I still don't believe that it's necessary to watch all the media to understand the game. There's no doubt that you won't get the full story and some things are left unanswered, but I don't feel like those unanswered questions are crucial to understanding what happens in the game.

2 hours ago, Inelastic said:

You keep equating the word "lie" with "wrong."

You keep thinking i mean "wrong", i don't.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

13 minutes ago, Noctus said:

You keep thinking i mean "wrong", i don't.

Well, then I guess there's nothing else to say. You never told me why you think specifically that I'm lying, why you think I'm purposely trying to deceive. Since it does seem like you know the difference, now I just feel like you're trolling.

If you don't care about story or character development in a game, I think it's worth a purchase. I bought FFXV on day 1 (console release), beat it, and I thought it was... meh. The game doesn't have depth, but it does a good job at showing you beautiful people and cool fight scenes.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:14 PM, Inelastic said:

You don't need to watch the movie to understand or enjoy the game.

You kinda do... kinda. There was this character, who you only fight once (I think it was in Chapter 13). This boss got introduced as if he was a big deal. After I finished the game, I realized that this boss only appeared in that one fight, so it felt very shoehorned. Once I decided to watch Kingsglaive, I finally realized that this boss was supposed to be Luna's brother.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

The driving in early parts of the game kill it for me, i wish i got knife beside me that time so i can stab myself. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

9 hours ago, Inelastic said:

You never told me why you think specifically that I'm lying

3 Post's now i've told you. Stop being blind.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

On 10/13/2018 at 3:36 PM, JZStudios said:

snip

16 hours ago, Inelastic said:

snip

16 hours ago, Noctus said:

snip

Sooo uhh...I bought it, then refunded it to buy a true master piece. Final Fantasy X. I havent played it since it was on the PlayStation 2 and I had ermm...1k hours logged on to it? I can't wait to replay the whole thing remastered. The only downside I heard was the music was a little TOO remastered, but I still love the game so...yeah :D

7 minutes ago, DVA said:

Sooo uhh...I bought it, then refunded it to buy a true master piece. Final Fantasy X. I havent played it since it was on the PlayStation 2 and I had ermm...1k hours logged on to it? I can't wait to replay the whole thing remastered. The only downside I heard was the music was a little TOO remastered, but I still love the game so...yeah :D

Good decision. I umm "miss" grinding for the Celestial Weapons and fighting the Dark Aeons.

28 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Good decision. I umm "miss" grinding for the Celestial Weapons and fighting the Dark Aeons.

Yeah man! I am so stoked to replay this entire game. I wasn't the biggest fan of X-2, but I think it's because I was a lot younger so I didn't fully grasp the story or understand what to do. As far as my memory serves, the bosses were OP in X-2

3 hours ago, DVA said:

Yeah man! I am so stoked to replay this entire game. I wasn't the biggest fan of X-2, but I think it's because I was a lot younger so I didn't fully grasp the story or understand what to do. As far as my memory serves, the bosses were OP in X-2

Wasn't a fan of the 10 sequels myself, seemed like it was a tacked on story after 10. Loved 13's combat.

Its enjoyable.  If you can get the complete Royal edition for $25-$30 (which includes all the new content and dlc) I would say its worth it.  Anything more than that and I'd say pass I got the day one edition for PS4 for $40 and I wished I waited.  Its a very ok game albiet a stunning one.

5 hours ago, DVA said:

I've never played that one myself. The last PlayStation I owned was the first one, so I never had a chance. Now that it's out on PC, I could get it and play it, but I'm dubious about Square Enix ports. I played Nier Automata and wound up having to stop because it was crashing every 15-30 minutes in a part where I couldn't save at so I was going in circles.

13 hours ago, Gale said:

If you don't care about story or character development in a game, I think it's worth a purchase. I bought FFXV on day 1 (console release), beat it, and I thought it was... meh. The game doesn't have depth, but it does a good job at showing you beautiful people and cool fight scenes.

You kinda do... kinda. There was this character, who you only fight once (I think it was in Chapter 13). This boss got introduced as if he was a big deal. After I finished the game, I realized that this boss only appeared in that one fight, so it felt very shoehorned. Once I decided to watch Kingsglaive, I finally realized that this boss was supposed to be Luna's brother.

To me, that's not something that's necessary to understand the game. It'll make the story shallower, less interesting, and probably leave you wondering why he was so important, but to understand the game I feel like you just need to know that he was someone that stood between you and your goal. I'm not talking about full comprehension of the entire FFXV story, I'm speaking of basics needed to understand what happens in the game.

1 minute ago, Inelastic said:

I've never played that one myself. The last PlayStation I owned was the first one, so I never had a chance. Now that it's out on PC, I could get it and play it, but I'm dubious about Square Enix ports. I played Nier Automata and wound up having to stop because it was crashing every 15-30 minutes in a part where I couldn't save at so I was going in circles.

To me, that's not something that's necessary to understand the game. It'll make the story shallower, less interesting, and probably leave you wondering why he was so important, but to understand the game I feel like you just need to know that he was someone that stood between you and your goal. I'm not talking about full comprehension of the entire FFXV story, I'm speaking of basics needed to understand what happens in the game.

We just need back the days of when companies made COMPLETE games. If they needed to add more than they would just work on the next game for it and fill in the gaps. I miss the older gen games where they could be played for hundreds of hours without feeling bored or drained. 

Did you hear Red Redemption 2 will have over 80 confirmed hours of storyline? 

1 hour ago, DVA said:

We just need back the days of when companies made COMPLETE games. If they needed to add more than they would just work on the next game for it and fill in the gaps. I miss the older gen games where they could be played for hundreds of hours without feeling bored or drained. 

Did you hear Red Redemption 2 will have over 80 confirmed hours of storyline? 

FFXV was supposed to be that game. Instead what was delivered was broken parts hastily glued together. The entirety of it (Much like the other game stuck 10 years in development hell, The Last Gaurdian) was rewritten and remade entirely, and it only actually had something like a year and a half or two of dev time. Any game that I know of that's come out after 10 years of development or just break in general has sucked.

I haven't played RDR, but the last Rockstar game I actually really enjoyed playing through was Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix. GTA 4 was okay with Gay Tony DLC.

I did hear though that the horse balls will shrink in the cold mountain. Because Rockstar sure love them balls and dicks. Big reason I don't like GTA actually, everything has to be some stupid dick joke.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 10/12/2018 at 7:08 PM, Stefan Payne said:

No, get 12 first, after that I'd think about either Ni No Kuni 2 or rather Dragon Quest 11.

I didn't like FF-15 too much...

i'm thinking about getting it too..to not own ffxv seems like a sin for an rpg lover like myself... whats wrong with it? on first glance it looks like a lot of talking and camping based on the gameplay footage.

Bolivia.

19 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

FFXV was supposed to be that game. Instead what was delivered was broken parts hastily glued together. The entirety of it (Much like the other game stuck 10 years in development hell, The Last Gaurdian) was rewritten and remade entirely, and it only actually had something like a year and a half or two of dev time. Any game that I know of that's come out after 10 years of development or just break in general has sucked.

I haven't played RDR, but the last Rockstar game I actually really enjoyed playing through was Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix. GTA 4 was okay with Gay Tony DLC.

I did hear though that the horse balls will shrink in the cold mountain. Because Rockstar sure love them balls and dicks. Big reason I don't like GTA actually, everything has to be some stupid dick joke.

Yeah I've seen way too many jokes and memes relating to the Horse's balls in RDR2 lol.

I guess the biggest reason I play old games is not just because of the nostalgia, but because there was so much to do. Current gen games leave me feeling like I should just return the game. 

4 minutes ago, SupremeGOAT said:

i'm thinking about getting it too..to not own ffxv seems like a sin for an rpg lover like myself... whats wrong with it? on first glance it looks like a lot of talking and camping based on the gameplay footage.

Well from what I experienced and what I read EVERYWHERE online was that the game in essentially incomplete, needing both a movie and an anime series in order to fill the gaps the game was missing. Trust me I'm all down for a movie and good anime, but to HAVE to watch it to play a game that should be complete from the get go? I don't know... 

I agree with you though, the FF series is very close to me so not playing every single one hurts a part of me :P   but sometimes it's better to not play it and not ruin something special to yourself. Alternatively, if you have a PS4 or something you can probably find games like this for cheap. 

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Yeah I've seen way too many jokes and memes relating to the Horse's balls in RDR2 lol.

I guess the biggest reason I play old games is not just because of the nostalgia, but because there was so much to do. Current gen games leave me feeling like I should just return the game. 

It depends on how far back you go, but most older games were more complete. There's a.... It's weird. DLC has become the norm, and a lot of people will pay for it, so why wouldn't companies do it?

But more importantly, hardware has gotten more powerful, so graphics are being pushed further. Games are more expensive to produce, but the tools to make them have also become more streamlined and easier to use. Personally I think it's more an issue with innovation, much like the movie industry. I haven't played the Final Fantasy's but from what I gather they're all pretty different, but sort of the same "universe."

But then think about games like Assassins Creed or Call of Duty, they make them every year, it's pretty much always the exact same thing, yet somehow they always have DLC, even if it's just a set of texture reskins. They've just forgotten how to innovate, but people will keep buying the same crap with expansions for the same crap so why bother?

The game devs used to just be a bunch of passionate people, and then somewhere along the line business men got involved and basically ruined it for everyone. I can't tell if I'm just starting to lose interest in games, or if the games just aren't interesting anymore.

#Muricaparrotgang

15 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

It depends on how far back you go, but most older games were more complete. There's a.... It's weird. DLC has become the norm, and a lot of people will pay for it, so why wouldn't companies do it?

But more importantly, hardware has gotten more powerful, so graphics are being pushed further. Games are more expensive to produce, but the tools to make them have also become more streamlined and easier to use. Personally I think it's more an issue with innovation, much like the movie industry. I haven't played the Final Fantasy's but from what I gather they're all pretty different, but sort of the same "universe."

But then think about games like Assassins Creed or Call of Duty, they make them every year, it's pretty much always the exact same thing, yet somehow they always have DLC, even if it's just a set of texture reskins. They've just forgotten how to innovate, but people will keep buying the same crap with expansions for the same crap so why bother?

The game devs used to just be a bunch of passionate people, and then somewhere along the line business men got involved and basically ruined it for everyone. I can't tell if I'm just starting to lose interest in games, or if the games just aren't interesting anymore.

that last line hit me way harder than it should have....

3 hours ago, DVA said:

that last line hit me way harder than it should have....

It's something I've been trying to decide for myself for a while. I play some older games and I can still have fun with them, but some do feel just old and clunky now. New games don't feel as clunky, but a lot of them just don't seem that fun or interesting, or they're filled with time wasting fluff like collectible thermoses in Alan Wake. Games used to have a reason to waste your time by doing that, you'd unlock something or get some kind of goofy cheat code like Tony Hawks games. Now it's just some meaningless achievement and...?

Then you take into account that there's very few single player games really left, with even fewer doing co-op or split screen... and I'd say most of the single player games haven't been that great, or they're just a channel for multiplayer and selling DLC and microtransactions. I used to play Halo 3 on my buddies couch all the time, campaign and multiplayer. Now the Halo universe has been taken over by a different company, doesn't have split screen, and the fans don't like the campaign. The main director didn't even know that Master Chief was what's called in the industry as a "big deal."

And a quick Google search confirms that the newest installment will also have microtransactions.

So again I find myself asking... am I asking too much of games, or are they just delivering less? There's also clear trends, with the god awful battle royale genre taking over that Battlefield and Call of Duty are jumping on the bandwagon with. I want single player games with stories, experiences, something to make me think. Most games now are like the equivalent of Marvel movies. They aren't necessarily bad, but they're just designed to sell the next installment, but they're also all kind of the same. After a while it stops being a new "good" superhero movie and just turns into a collection of mediocrity not willing to take any real risks that might damage it's cash flow.

#Muricaparrotgang

As an addendum, I also find it ironic that older games spent more time on average going out of their way to add in little details to their games and world despite the older engines and time spent making them than newer games with newer engines where a lot of it could be implemented fairly quickly. MGS3 is still the most detailed game I know of, and it's also fun as hell.

#Muricaparrotgang

4 hours ago, SupremeGOAT said:

i'm thinking about getting it too..to not own ffxv seems like a sin for an rpg lover like myself...

I disagree

There are other Games I'd rate higher, even if they are not necessarily RPGs like NIER:Automata

But also Dragon Quest XI

If you have a PS4 (or PS3), Persona 5.

4 hours ago, SupremeGOAT said:

whats wrong with it? on first glance it looks like a lot of talking and camping based on the gameplay footage.

The story isn't that great, couldn't take me in, the all male cast that you have from the beginning without any additions to the cast.

While the open world map looks nice, it seems rather smallish - a random Ubi open world game is way larger. 

I'm really not that happy about the game, especially since I paid full price.

The 50€ for XII was totally worth it, though the "combat system" is really really easy if you "stay on the path" and also the graphics look a bit oldish. 

For like 15€ I might be OK with it, 25€ is a bit high for me...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Inelastic said:

you just need to know that he was someone that stood between you and your goal

That's just lazy storytelling though. It's not like he was a faceless henchman. If you want to introduce a boss for the sake of gameplay instead of story, there's a much better way. You can have said boss show up by leaping from a balcony on the other side of the room (That shows he's agile and/or strong), say some cheesy/threatening line, like: "The chancellor says you can't advance anymore". That lets the player know that this boss was sent by the main baddie, and he wants to wreck my day (bonus points if this boss dresses somewhat similarly to foot soldiers or wields a similar weapon, because that's one way to convey information through visuals). That's a much more effective way than "This corpse turns into a really strong zombie, but just this one!".

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

17 hours ago, Gale said:

That's just lazy storytelling though. It's not like he was a faceless henchman. If you want to introduce a boss for the sake of gameplay instead of story, there's a much better way. You can have said boss show up by leaping from a balcony on the other side of the room (That shows he's agile and/or strong), say some cheesy/threatening line, like: "The chancellor says you can't advance anymore". That lets the player know that this boss was sent by the main baddie, and he wants to wreck my day (bonus points if this boss dresses somewhat similarly to foot soldiers or wields a similar weapon, because that's one way to convey information through visuals). That's a much more effective way than "This corpse turns into a really strong zombie, but just this one!".

But aren't we just looking for weak storytelling now? Why give a shit about going through effort when you could just... not and people won't care because they don't ask for it.

Especially in a Final Fantasy game, they've never been focused on narrative storytelling, why would they start now?

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

But aren't we just looking for weak storytelling now? Why give a shit about going through effort when you could just... not and people won't care because they don't ask for it.

Especially in a Final Fantasy game, they've never been focused on narrative storytelling, why would they start now?

The couple of Final Fantasy's that I've played were all well immersed into the story and story development of each character, be it a main character or a lady that sells potion in a shop. Everyone had their story and that's what got me into the series. I might get XV one day when I just want to purely enjoy cinematic gaming, but at this moment in time I'm craving a good story. 

Now if we could get a COMPLETE game with DLC made in response to the fans, than we'd be going places! I know I know, not developing until they hear from the fans is a HUGE delay on production and DLC would take months, but personally I think it's worth it. Plenty of MMO's get developers to work on projects when the fans respond and sure it takes months for them to get the end product, but then most everyone gets what they ACTUALLY wanted. 

I don't mean to semi rant, I just need my passion for gaming rekindled. 

1 hour ago, DVA said:

The couple of Final Fantasy's that I've played were all well immersed into the story and story development of each character, be it a main character or a lady that sells potion in a shop. Everyone had their story and that's what got me into the series. I might get XV one day when I just want to purely enjoy cinematic gaming, but at this moment in time I'm craving a good story. 

Now if we could get a COMPLETE game with DLC made in response to the fans, than we'd be going places! I know I know, not developing until they hear from the fans is a HUGE delay on production and DLC would take months, but personally I think it's worth it. Plenty of MMO's get developers to work on projects when the fans respond and sure it takes months for them to get the end product, but then most everyone gets what they ACTUALLY wanted. 

I don't mean to semi rant, I just need my passion for gaming rekindled. 

Well that video I posted was a review made 2 years after the games release, after he said "I'll just put this down, and pick it back up and try it again when it's finished."

I bought a PS4 to play Nier, God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, and Death Stranding, which may or may not be on PC. I haven't gotten to most, but I personally find Persona 5 a big disappointment, even on it's own standing. I found myself just getting more and more bored with the game as it went on, just questioning how much of it was last minute changes or additions, maybe even some script rewrites. Oh, and it's last main game was 2008... It was in production for 6 years apparently... I'm really recognizing a trend in games with ludicrously long dev times.

Horizon Zero Dawn certainly had some good gameplay and great audio mixing, but I'm a bit mixed on the story. I think it's good enough, and it answers all.. well most questions because of plausible sequel, you have, but it's satisfying enough. Found the characters a bit lacking though, it's definitely more of a... what's it called, character action game? than an RPG. I could definitely recommend it to someone as worth playing, because the world is beautiful, it's a newer more original setting, and there's enough intrigue and satisfying answers, conclusions, and resolutions to leave a positive outlook on it.

Guess I'm not so "mixed" on it as much as I was hoping for a bit more world and character building, which is more my fault for thinking the game would be a narrative masterpiece coming from the Killzone guys. Of which I've played...  part of the PS4 launch title one and remember nothing about.

#Muricaparrotgang