Is the Google Pixel 3 XL the ideal smartphone?

zrmaxwell

Hear me out please.

It offers the following:

IP68 water resistant rating

Wireless charging

Potentially the best cameras on a smartphone

A dedicated power button that DOES NOT double as a screen shot button (Apple iPhone XS Max!!).. 

No dedicated assistant button 

Front facing stereo speakers

A 100 % stock ANDROID experience

Bluetooth 5.0 with APTX HD quality

Updates for 3 years (enough time to get decide what smartphone you want next)

A headphone adapter & fast charging cable with the power brick included in the box

The only thing i can really nit pick about the phone is no headphone jack, but i will get over it.. 

With all that said, what do you want to happen next year with the google pixel 4? 

-fugly ass design 

You are right! 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

-fugly ass design 

You are right! 

Don't care for design that much. A smartphone is meant to be used and abused in day to day life. Not looked at 24/7 lol

1 minute ago, zrmaxwell said:

Hear me out please.

It offers the following:

IP68 water resistant rating

Wireless charging

Potentially the best cameras on a smartphone

A dedicated power button that DOES NOT double as a screen shot button (Apple iPhone XS Max!!).. 

No dedicated assistant button 

Front facing stereo speakers

A 100 % stock ANDROID experience

Bluetooth 5.0 with APTX HD quality

Updates for 3 years (enough time to get decide what smartphone you want next)

A headphone adapter & fast charging cable with the power brick included in the box

The only thing i can really nit pick about the phone is no headphone jack, but i will get over it.. 

With all that said, what do you want to happen next year with the google pixel 4? 

Not exactly sure what I'm looking for in the next generation of phones because there is only so much you can do in that small amount of hardware. 

They're trying to aim it closer to being a camera with phone capabilities as of lately it seems. 

In the early 2000's with the rate of technology, it was extremely logical to upgrade every 2 or 3 years, but now it seems almost futile? 

I think just about any of the newer phones are a good piece of tech to have for a few years. The only things that make them fall behind is the degradation of the technology and push updates that can include some bloatware to slow down your phone, whether it's on purpose or not. 

We'll have to wait and see what they can keep doing in such a small space though. 

Just now, DVA said:

Not exactly sure what I'm looking for in the next generation of phones because there is only so much you can do in that small amount of hardware. 

They're trying to aim it closer to being a camera with phone capabilities as of lately it seems. 

In the early 2000's with the rate of technology, it was extremely logical to upgrade every 2 or 3 years, but now it seems almost futile? 

I think just about any of the newer phones are a good piece of tech to have for a few years. The only things that make them fall behind is the degradation of the technology and push updates that can include some bloatware to slow down your phone, whether it's on purpose or not. 

We'll have to wait and see what they can keep doing in such a small space though. 

Agreed. I hope they cram a gigantic battery like the Note 9 into the Google Pixel 4. The battery is no doubt going to be good on the Pixel 3 and 3 XL, but my point is this: Smartphone makers need to quit with the thinness war and focus on things that matter imo. 

1 minute ago, zrmaxwell said:

Agreed. I hope they cram a gigantic battery like the Note 9 into the Google Pixel 4. The battery is no doubt going to be good on the Pixel 3 and 3 XL, but my point is this: Smartphone makers need to quit with the thinness war and focus on things that matter imo. 

Like the ulephone if you look around there are brands that don't care for looks and are more practical :)

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

8 minutes ago, Dominik999 said:

My opinion is that it is perfect xD

What? The Google Pixel 3 & 3 XL or my comment? 

5 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

What? The Google Pixel 3 & 3 XL or my comment? 

The Google Pixel 3 XL, put one thing, I personally don't like the design of the phone :I

3 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

I completely agree. I'd rather have something a little beefier that can withstand everyday use and the occasional drop without having the pause of "do I even want to pick it up to look at the screen..."

No one really complained with flip phones which are what, 3x+ as thick as current gen phones?

3 minutes ago, Dominik999 said:

The Google Pixel 3 XL, put one thing, I personally don't like the design of the phone :I

i am not a huge fan of the design either, but a phone is a phone.. for me anyway.

5 minutes ago, EG! said:

Like the ulephone if you look around there are brands that don't care for looks and are more practical :)

the ulephone is not offered on verizon and i don't think it would work here in the USA..

4 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

- shitty notch

- no excuse to not have a headphone jack

You're right, it IS the perfect phone! If ya bought an Android phone to be an iPhone without the experience.

What is this experience you speak of? 

- only 4gb Ram

- More ugly than neccessary Notch. Also, too deep to match the deep Chin.

- Back isn't the most beautiful.

- Way too expensive for a replaceable Android (replaceable = it can be replaced by other smartphones, because they all run on Android. iPhone can not be replaced, because of the unique OS)

- no Headphone Jack

- Battery is quite small considering the Size.

No, it's not ideal. It also has it's cons. Mainly the absurd Price (3 XL 128gb (still 4gb Ram..)) costs 1049€ here.

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

- only 4gb Ram

- More ugly than neccessary Notch. Also, too deep to match the deep Chin.

- Back isn't the most beautiful.

- Way too expensive for a replaceable Android (replaceable = it can be replaced by other smartphones, because they all run on Android. iPhone can not be replaced, because of the unique OS)

- no Headphone Jack

- Battery is quite small considering the Size.

No, it's not ideal. It also has it's cons. Mainly the absurd Price (3 XL 128gb (still 4gb Ram..)) costs 1049€ here.

Who knows, i may go with a different phone when the time comes... 

Ideal?  No.  In fact, I think there's many people who would say it's not even average and there are better options on the market right now.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ideal?  No.  In fact, I think there's many people who would say it's not even average and there are better options on the market right now.

True..