Spilled Water On GPU PCB

Jon No H

I knocked some water onto my GPU’s PCB (my side panel was off) and my system just clicked off, my monitor turned off, and the case light stayed on. I unplugged the system, dried everything, and removed the GPU and plugged the system back in and it booted, then plugged the GPU back in, and it wouldn’t boot this time. I plugged a different GPU in and it worked. Is the GPU fried? Is that how the system would act with a non working GPU?

Okay so a little update I guess, I did some testing and the system boots with the GPU plugged into the PCIe slot but with the 8-pin PSU unplugged, the fans on the GPU run and everything, but when the actual power goes to it the whole system shorts, but this doesn’t happen with the other GPU (which is a 6-pin) this makes me think I may have just fried my 6-pin to 8-pin adapter. Should the fans still work if the GPU is fried?

GPU is most likely fried.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

F

...to pay respect

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

20 minutes ago, Jon No H said:

I knocked some water onto my GPU’s PCB (my side panel was off) and my system just clicked off, my monitor turned off, and the case light stayed on. I unplugged the system, dried everything, and removed the GPU and plugged the system back in and it booted, then plugged the GPU back in, and it wouldn’t boot this time. I plugged a different GPU in and it worked. Is the GPU fried? Is that how the system would act with a non working GPU?

It’s very possible it shorted out. Take off any back plates or coolers and closely inspect it for any signs for water marks or corrosion, the PCB can be bathed and lightly scrubbed in isopropyl alcohol to clean it off and displace any possible remaining water. 

25 minutes ago, Jon No H said:

Sounds Fucted to me :)

Yeah your GPU is dead.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How long did you let the card sit? Did you take it apart and dry and clean it?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

How long did you let the card sit? Did you take it apart and dry and clean it?

I dried it immediately and water only got on the PCB, I didn’t take it apart but I let it sit for a few hours

Well  ive had every component covers in coolant and never had an issue. But given the danger of regular water, prolly isn't much you can do aside from inspecting it further and using it in a different pci slot that it was originally installed in.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well  ive had every component covers in coolant and never had an issue. But given the danger of regular water, prolly isn't much you can do aside from inspecting it further and using it in a different pci slot that it was originally installed in.

Okay so a little update I guess, I did some testing and the system boots with the GPU plugged into the PCIe slot but with the 8-pin PSU unplugged, the fans on the GPU run and everything, but when the actual power goes to it the whole system shorts, but this doesn’t happen with the other GPU (which is a 6-pin) this makes me think I may have just fried my 6-pin to 8-pin adapter. Should the fans still work if the GPU is fried?

I doubt you fried the adapter though plausible. The more likely cause the video card is shorted on it is VRM circuitry. From what it sounds like is the GPU is dead. Definitely in agreence with everyone else here. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

2 hours ago, Jon No H said:

of course the fan would still run i've burnt out plenty of cards i've been building desktops since 2004 last great year of pc gaming half life 2/doom3/painkiller/far cry lol i've fucted up alot of electronics doing careless shit it's done my man.I did start pc gaming in 1994 btw just prebuilts tho earlier on.