I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't fix that - 2018 MacBook Pro and iMac Pro require Apple's diagnostics to be run for certain repairs

D13H4RD

the times i don't regret that i stopped buying from Apple

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

17 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

I'm wondering too how this will affect things for people like me who buy 6-7 year old mac's used and then upgrade them. if in the future you can't just expand the storage or replace the battery that'll be really annoying. 

If the Netherlands have consumer protections like Australia then apple will be forced to remove this.  Last time they tried to pull this crap here they were fined $9M and told to stop it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/18/apple-australia-fine-error-53/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There is some good news to this story. It would appear that this has not been enabled just yet. Its up to the right to repair people to make sure it stays that way. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

27 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If the Netherlands have consumer protections like Australia then apple will be forced to remove this.  Last time they tried to pull this crap here they were fined $9M and told to stop it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/18/apple-australia-fine-error-53/

I hope they're ready to step up their fine game because otherwise there's no reason for Apple not to; they could easily make an extra $9M off of this in 1 quarter I'm sure.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I hope they're ready to step up their fine game because otherwise there's no reason for Apple not to; they could easily make an extra $9M off of this in 1 quarter I'm sure.

Yeah I know, that fine is pathetic considering how much they make and what they are doing to consumers. However it is the being forced to stop it that is important.

Edit: because the courts have already ruled that consumers can choose to have their products repaired anywhere, apple will have to either undo this or make the software available to anyone at a reasonable price.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yeah I know, that fine is pathetic considering how much they make and what they are doing to consumers. However it is the being forced to stop it that is important.

Edit: because the courts have already ruled that consumers can choose to have their products repaired anywhere, apple will have to either undo this or make the software available to anyone at a reasonable price.

Oh, hm... if they are given the option to make it available at a reasonable price, I wonder which will win out, their rhetoric/culture, which would not have them do such a thing, or their unquenchable thirst for money xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh, hm... if they are given the option to make it available at a reasonable price, I wonder which will win out, their rhetoric/culture, which would not have them do such a thing, or their unquenchable thirst for money xD

My guess is they don't want to help people fix their own stuff so they will undo the requirement for the software.   Releasing the software in Aus will only lead to it being pirated or copied somehow and used everywhere else anyway. 

On 10/4/2018 at 11:04 PM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Well, another day, another bit of news. This time, not so good ones if you are the type who likes to repair and tinker with your own stuff (pretty much a lot of this forum) 

Due to the use of the T2 chip on the iMac Pro and MacBook Pro 2018, for certain repairs such as logic board repair, it requires Apple's diagnostic software to be run in order for the repair to be completed and the machine to boot. 

The real problem however lies when it comes to people like Louis Rossmann and other third-party companies specializing in repairing Macs, especially those that Apple deems obsolete. 

Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/04/t2-macs-must-pass-diagnostics-for-certain-repairs/

D13H4RD's opinion

Personally, while I'm all for better security, I think this is one of those examples where security is too strong to the point of hurting even the good people. 

Yes, there are some shady people out there who run some of these shops but people like Rossmann are part of the reason why some of us can keep using older MacBooks for a much longer length of time before we have to actually replace them. I think consumers like us have the right to repair the product that we own. 

Nothing new here. I worked for an AASP for a few years. They have been doing this crap all the way back since 2012. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

14 hours ago, Johncock said:

Off topic but thanks! I have been looking for a 10h version of this laugh for a year and only found badly edited clips!

it took me 2 secs to find it, you been using bing/yahoo?

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N