Here comes the first smartphone with 10GB RAM

Can it run the Crysis trilogy? That’s what’s I wanna know...cause if no, then why? Lol that’s ALOT of RAM for a phone.

World needs to stop doing stupid things! Why the fuck do we need 10 GB ram on a phone? My thinkpad t440s has 8 GB RAM and 250 GB SSD. I am doing anything i want on it. Developing software in company i work at, compiling openwrt for my router, Even playing some games. I use linux thus am playing things like left4dead2, Day of defeat, race 07 (with steam proton), CS and other low hardware requirment linux games.

I will  never buy a phone with 10 GB RAM unless it will be cheaper then 400$ AND it can replace my PC thus run conventional linux distro natively, for example arch linux that i am using on my thinkpad.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Why would I need 10GB if I can just download more.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Why would I need 10GB if I can just download more.

*facepalm* lol please tell me that’s a joke ?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You get throttled after the first 3.5.

Ah, NVidia RAM, I see

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Am I the only one who only sees the use of even 6-8GB of RAM bearing even a tinge of sense on a phone like a Galaxy Note?

If your phone can emulate a desktop environment and such, then yeah, I can see why needing a lot of RAM might be a thing. But if it's just going to be a phone doing phone things, eh.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

No offense, but it needs to be said:

48 minutes ago, asus killer said:

people buy 1000$ phones with 8 and 10Gb or RAM to go on facebook, and then we can't get RAM because of stupid prices. 

10Gb on a phone, to do what? 

But that's not the phones fault, if Plebs buy the phone who don't know what to do with it.

Same with people buying a 3k Macbook Pro for facebook. Does that make the Macbook a bad product? No.

Or a 3k Gaming PC to play league of legends and CS:GO. Same stuff.

Phones with these specs are NOT the product build for People who only use Facebook. No Snapdragon 845 device is build for that, every 150€ phone can do that just fine.

10gb on a phone to be futureproof the next years, to do HEAVY Multitasking without EVER having to reload a single App.

It makes MUCH more sense, to have 10gb on a phone as a Poweruser (that's the target of flaggships) than having only 4gb Ram in a 1000€ phone (Pixel 3 XL..).

But yea, even for power users, 8 would be more than enough today usually - probably for many even 6. But 4 is just not enough anymore. at least NOT for power users (wasn't enough 2 years ago for power users so...)

31 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

World needs to stop doing stupid things! Why the fuck do we need 10 GB ram on a phone? My thinkpad t440s has 8 GB RAM and 250 GB SSD. I am doing anything i want on it. Developing software in company i work at, compiling openwrt for my router, Even playing some games. I use linux thus am playing things like left4dead2, Day of defeat, race 07 (with steam proton), CS and other low hardware requirment linux games.

I will  never buy a phone with 10 GB RAM unless it will be cheaper then 400$ AND it can replace my PC thus run conventional linux distro natively, for example arch linux that i am using on my thinkpad.

People like you need to stop posting stupid comments, and maybe take 10 seconds to think over their little Horizon ^^

Seriously, why are people like that? Just because YOU can't imagine it, or YOU use it differently, everyone else in the world is doing/using it wrong?

I couldn't even browse the web on your Thinkpad. Chrome + Firefox alone can fill my 16gb Ram in my desktop. And no, everything is fine - but with enough Tabs, that's simply waht happens. It's called Multitasking.

Final Fantasy 15, i've seen it using 7,6gb Ram alone. ALONE. Not with windows + 50 tasks together. The Game.exe alone.

Let me guess, you don't even know why people need even 4gb Ram on a phone?

The world isn't black or white.

Other people use their stuff differently from you (so many people are failing to JUST get this one sentence.. Sad isn't it?)

And there are people, who can absolutely NOTICE, having 6gb Ram in a phone, instead of 4gb.

Having 10 instead 8 on a flaggship, that goes alittle overboard, why is that a bad thing?

Better have 10gb, and never use more than 6-7, than having only 6 or even worse, 4gb, but constantly deal with reloads.

People like you are clearly NOT the target group for such a Product. Just like a ferrari is probably not meant to target YOU.

That doesn't make the Product useless, just because you can't comprehend how a product could possibly be used by others.

5 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

10gb on a phone to be futureproof the next years, to do HEAVY Multitasking without EVER having to reload a single App.

people who spend 1000$+ on a phone aren't preoccupied with future proofing, they will buy another in 2 years top. Only people buying cheap phones keeps them for a long time.

company running out of ideas to attract attention from the consumer, so they have to keep cranking up the numbers just so they have sth to talk/market about.

20 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

some apps are not closed cuz of ram management but to save battery, so even with 10g ram, you will need to reload some app

Do you have any justification on how power users use their phones? Video/photo editing is the one task that are making sense here, but most of the user dont user their phones for that and i am sure those who do, are not the marketing target. Another one is probly mobile gaming. but there ram is not the only issue. you will run into heating, battery life problems first. but guess what, those are hard things to solve, so lets put more RAM into the phone first. It is nothing but a marketing BS.

35 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

It makes MUCH more sense, to have 10gb on a phone as a Poweruser (that's the target of flaggships) than having only 4gb Ram in a 1000€ phone (Pixel 3 XL..).

Seriously, why are people like that? Just because YOU can't imagine it, or YOU use it differently, everyone else in the world is doing/using it wrong?

I couldn't even browse the web on your Thinkpad. Chrome + Firefox alone can fill my 16gb Ram in my desktop. And no, everything is fine - but with enough Tabs, that's simply waht happens. It's called Multitasking.

Final Fantasy 15, i've seen it using 7,6gb Ram alone. ALONE. Not with windows + 50 tasks together. The Game.exe alone.

Let me guess, you don't even know why people need even 4gb Ram on a phone?

The world isn't black or white.

Other people use their stuff differently from you (so many people are failing to JUST get this one sentence.. Sad isn't it?)

And there are people, who can absolutely NOTICE, having 6gb Ram in a phone, instead of 4gb.

Having 10 instead 8 on a flaggship, that goes alittle overboard, why is that a bad thing?

Better have 10gb, and never use more than 6-7, than having only 6 or even worse, 4gb, but constantly deal with reloads.

Maybe let's get back to planet Earth for a bit.

Power users who use literally everything on their phones like you or me are pretty much the only group of people who would actually need such an insane amount of RAM. My Galaxy Note8 has 6GB of memory and it is perfectly fine. Hell, my old phone (a Moto Z) 'only' has 4GB of the stuff and yet, it's still fine for daily phone tasks.

Here's the thing. We are rare. Most typical phone users are only going to be using their typical web-browser and social media apps, which shouldn't consume even 4GB of memory unless it's shoddily optimized (*cough*Facebook*cough*). They don't need 10GB of memory, let alone 8GB of the stuff.

The only reason I can see 10GB or even 8GB is like in the Galaxy Note9, because that phone is able to emulate a desktop-like environment. But for typical phone stuff, I think people would be better off with a bigger battery that they'll notice than more RAM that they probably won't.

RAM is only useful if it is actively utilized and not left empty. Remember the old saying that unused memory is wasted memory? While that can be debatable, if you have 10GB of the stuff but only like 6GB is being actively utilized by the OS and applications, that extra 4GB is wasted.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I understand, that not even 0.5% of all smartphone users will be able to "make use" of that guys!

But these products are Flaggships. They are the most high end, enthusiastic class out there.

It's like talking about a 2080 ti on GPUs (Most will still not buy anything above a GTX 1060 /  RX 580)

It's like talking about a Ferrari/porsche/Lamborghini/etc when talking about sportscars.

These things are made for these <0.5%. Not only, to fill the needs Today, and tomorrow it's slow again. It should fill the needs in 2-3 years also.

Or let me rather say: They "should" be strong enough, to also be good enough for the most extreme usercase.

Flaggships are NOT made for the "typical smartphone users".^^

At least that's how i see it.

People always get so crazy over 8 or now 10gb Ram. Why do i NEVER hear anybody cry about 256gb storage phones, or even 512gb now on iPhones? Everyone is simply "i don't need that much, i buy something lower". You can also buy something with less ram. Not that it hurts in any way to have it.

Some people just want this "over the top" in certain aspects. For some people 256gb storage is really NOT enough. Just like people buy 32gb Ram in their Computer, because 16gb can be filled easy - or just to not worry about anything the next 8 years.

In short: Casual users, who are Far away from "my view of a power user", don't need a 1000€ flaggship kinda.

And to speak for myself: i like it, whenever i open an App from few hours ago, or even Days ago, and it's "there". No reloads (which can be half a minute for some Games, or just 1-2 seconds). I notice it, and even a second loading time feels like a "lag" kinda. So i rather have 2gb more than less in my smartphone. For today, and the next 3 years untill i upgrade.

Otherwise, yea. Bigger battery of course. But more Ram doesn't take more space tho, they just take Chips with more space :P a 4TB HDD isn't bigger than a 1TB one.

And also, for 99% of all casual-like stuff, that doesn't go anything into "power user", even 4gb will be enough for anyone to have a "it just flies" kinda speed.

It's just.. someone has to start at anything ^^ There HAS to be someone at some point to put in 10gb Ram - after 8gb phones are somewhat common already in flaggship area.

Remember back then, when all barely hit 2gb Ram. But Sony and Oneplus came around the corner, putting in 3gb.

And at some point, one phone came with 4gb. At that time, most people were like "so much ram for what?".

it's never usefull, to have technology stand still / hold it back (like Intel could do it before Ryzen showed up)

How about this?

Make sure a phone can emulate a desktop, THEN add 10GB of the stuff.

Plus, it’s an Oppo phone. It’ll kill every app that consumes even a smidge of battery power.

Why make operating systems more efficient and applications less wasteful when you can just add more RAM?! Its not like other leading operating systems function perfectly on 2GB of RAM and manage 4GB of RAM so well that it can before better than other phones with 6-8GB of RAM.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, Darkseth said:

10gb on a phone to be futureproof the next years

Yeah no......having a leading SoC is the major factor in if a phone lasts a long time. Doesn't matter what "power users" want, adding more RAM to phones symoolizes that Android is moving in the wrong direction. 

Smartphones are not supposed to be resource hogs and they should be getting more efficient, not less. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Smartphones are not supposed to be resource hogs and they should be getting more efficient, not less. 

to be fair phones are more efficient with load of RAM... in a sick twisted way. Because they are so inefficient, especially android, you have to throw lots of RAM for it to work. Like people said why make them work more efficiently when you can just sell more RAM.

It's like those old cars with 5 liter engines and 100 horse power. 

6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why make operating systems more efficient and applications less wasteful when you can just add more RAM?! Its not like other leading operating systems function perfectly on 2GB of RAM and manage 4GB of RAM so well that it can before better than other phones with 6-8GB of RAM.....

It’s an Oppo phone.

It’ll kill every app that it thinks consumes even a smidget of battery before you even use 4-6GB of the stuff 

Well, at least it's a step forward....unlike Apple which is selling the 720P XR at 750USD......now that's a big step backward...or, as one reviewer had put it, "a jerk move". IF Samsung, or any other Android phone makers, were to sell one of their phones with just 720P resolution (budget phones excepted) at a whopping 750USD, you can bet many would lambaste it, even Samsung fanboys! But, since this is Apple, you can bet there'd be fanboys who would defend the move, and that 720P is all you need.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

3 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Well, at least it's a step forward....unlike Apple which is selling the 720P XR at 750USD......now that's a big step backward...or, as one reviewer had put it, "a jerk move". IF Samsung, or any other Android phone makers, were to sell one of their phones with just 720P resolution (budget phones excepted) at a whopping 750USD, you can bet many would lambaste it, even Samsung fanboys! But, since this is Apple, you can bet there'd be fanboys who would defend the move, and that 720P is all you need.

To quote Quinn 

*in marketing talk*It just so happens to be 'the most advanced LCD in the industry', with just a smidge over 820p resolution.