Sure I'll recycle your computers for you

Syntaxvgm

There's no reason you can't dump random data or zero out a ssd a bunch of times just like dban, it's just harder on the drive but also not really, writing 2.5tb to a ssd won't kill it

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 hours ago, N1NJ4W4RR10R said:

Make sure to confirm with the original owners there's nothing on the SSDs if you're intending on keeping them/selling them.

I took a look, both had not been accessed in months and it appeared that everything was done using software that connects to a database. I think the employs that used them are no longer with the company. They've both been wiped with ATA secure erase. I don't intend to sell them. 

The old server backup was where the real problematic data was. You saw above what I did with that one ;D 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

There's no reason you can't dump random data or zero out a ssd a bunch of times just like dban, it's just harder on the drive but also not really, writing 2.5tb to a ssd won't kill it

Already have. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

>6700

>X batch

Gets the good silicon but it's locked from the factory.

Into the bin it goes.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

So a little update on this, since I have a ton of computers and I dont really need more, I'm giving the 6700 system to a  friend so he can add a gpu to it and make a really good gaming rig. He was planning to buy one and had money set aside, so this should be nice timing wise. Think I got a psu as well since the one in there wont do for a gpu. Itll still be mine and ill take it back one day, but for at least a couple of years he's got a good system for the price of a gpu. Actually ill probably give him a 580 until he can buy a gpu, we're gonna hunt for a good deal on ebay. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

So a little update on this, since I have a ton of computers and I dont really need more, I'm giving the 6700 system to a  friend so he can add a gpu to it and make a really good gaming rig. He was planning to buy one but is tight on money, so this should be nice. Think I got a psu as well. Itll still be mine and ill take it back one day, but for at least a couple of years he's got a good system for the price of a gpu. 

That is really cool man. Hope he enjoys it!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 hour ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

That is really cool man. Hope he enjoys it!

he's coming from a laptop with like an 840m I think, so this will be good for him.

It'd be cooler if I just permanently gave it to him, but nah I want it back some day if he upgrades im greedy

muh specs 

All parts black

45 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

nothing, sgi I would have sold but I do want one of the newer sun workstations, just because I love the case 
Image result for sun  microsystems ulta

Thank you for checking anyway :)

You mentioned finding unwiped drives. I was donated a PC that also hadn't been wiped. It had been owned by a tax accountant, with 20 years of personal tax records still on it (totaling over 30,000 individual records)

I still have the drive because I cannot think of the best way to 100% ensure the drive will never get anything off of it.

I was thinking gun range, or maybe tossing it into the eye of sauron, both have their pros and cons.

And although SGI and Sun are not longer what made them so attractive to begin with, I'd still want that system, just because...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Thank you for checking anyway :)

You mentioned finding unwiped drives. I was donated a PC that also hadn't been wiped. It had been owned by a tax accountant, with 20 years of personal tax records still on it (totaling over 30,000 individual records)

I still have the drive because I cannot think of the best way to 100% ensure the drive will never get anything off of it.

I was thinking gun range, or maybe tossing it into the eye of sauron, both have their pros and cons.

And although SGI and Sun are not longer what made them so attractive to begin with, I'd still want that system, just because...

well zero it out or hit it with dban then physically fuck it. A drill is an easy way. gun range is fun way. Just bad to leave it sitting with no wipe. 

Really a random pass or two will be good enough if you want to use it. If someone will someone reassemble bits that have been flipped once they deserve the data. 

muh specs 

All parts black

remind me where you get all this stuff from again @Syntaxvgm

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

well zero it out or hit it with dban then physically fuck it. A drill is an easy way. gun range is fun way. Just bad to leave it sitting with no wipe. 

Really a random pass or two will be good enough if you want to use it. If someone will someone reassemble bits that have been flipped once they deserve the data. 

I've DBAN'd it once already, but I feel really uncomfortable disposing of it, just because I know what was on there...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

23 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

remind me where you get all this stuff from again @Syntaxvgm

There's an office next to me that the current company is moving out of. We're thinking of moving there, and when touring I was told they wanted to get rid of some computer crap, and I offered to take it. It was all there for at least a couple of weeks before I took it.  It's a bottom floor and no elevator, so it's a pain in the ass, took me an hour to load it all. Mostly keyboards and old monitors, stuff like that. Some really old pcs, some kinda old ones, and in that stack these two

The coolers on these were not properly secured and the compound was caked on the i5. I haven't done any burn in tests because I had too much crap to sort through yesterday, but they both booted just fine. 
I also think they are downsizing as well, these were not in use for a few months at least. 
One had an hd 6540 and one had a 710 in it, odd since they work with documents and had 1 or two screens plugged into the igpu, evidenced by the fact that I did check the computers before i wiped them, and they had no drivers for the cards installed. I think what happened is they upgraded and reused what they could, like cases and psus. There is an identical case with a pentium dual core. 
Also the intel cooler wasn't secured right on both of them. Very common, the arrows are backwards on them and they are a pain. The thermal compound on the i5 was caked. Could have been thermal throttling, but I doubt with an ssd and what they used them for it would even feel 'slow', I think they just tore down the desk and didn't know what they were getting rid of since the cases are ugly and cheap/old looking. The computers currently in the office are new ips screens, some curved, and I think I saw a station with 2 ultrawides. So who knows. 

Here's the only pic I have of the case, I'll take more pics when im home from work. 
image.png.0ca8dc3dfe3bd17c4bc54c0a32426e1e.png
(the bag has my work macbook and some other stuff, not from the scrap)

Here's one in my van earlier before I knew what they were, I think it's one of them but im not sure same cases. 
Also of note the monitors were really old but a lot of them were 1080p, so they were buying high end 10 years ago too. 

muh specs 

All parts black

22 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've DBAN'd it once already, but I feel really uncomfortable disposing of it, just because I know what was on there...

13 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

tFqnBQQ.jpg

I call this a "quick secure format" 

muh specs 

All parts black

21 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

There's an office next to me that the current company is moving out of. We're thinking of moving there, and when touring I was told they wanted to get rid of some computer crap, and I offered to take it. It was all there for at least a couple of weeks before I took it.  It's a bottom floor and no elevator, so it's a pain in the ass, took me an hour to load it all. Mostly keyboards and old monitors, stuff like that. Some really old pcs, some kinda old ones, and in that stack these two

The coolers on these were not properly secured and the compound was caked on the i5. I haven't done any burn in tests because I had too much crap to sort through yesterday, but they both booted just fine. 
I also think they are downsizing as well, these were not in use for a few months at least. 
One had an hd 6540 and one had a 710 in it, odd since they work with documents and had 1 or two screens plugged into the igpu, evidenced by the fact that I did check the computers before i wiped them, and they had no drivers for the cards installed. I think what happened is they upgraded and reused what they could, like cases and psus. There is an identical case with a pentium dual core. 
Also the intel cooler wasn't secured right on both of them. Very common, the arrows are backwards on them and they are a pain. The thermal compound on the i5 was caked. Could have been thermal throttling, but I doubt with an ssd and what they used them for it would even feel 'slow', I think they just tore down the desk and didn't know what they were getting rid of since the cases are ugly and cheap/old looking. The computers currently in the office are new ips screens, some curved, and I think I saw a station with 2 ultrawides. So who knows. 

Here's the only pic I have of the case, I'll take more pics when im home from work. 
image.png.0ca8dc3dfe3bd17c4bc54c0a32426e1e.png
(the bag has my work macbook and some other stuff, not from the scrap)

Here's one in my van earlier before I knew what they were, I think it's one of them but im not sure same cases. 
Also of note the monitors were really old but a lot of them were 1080p, so they were buying high end 10 years ago too. 

nice! I wish I could sort through that! how big are the 1080 monitors?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

14 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

nice! I wish I could sort through that! how big are the 1080 monitors?

They are like 20-21 inches? I haven't plugged any in yet though. 

muh specs 

All parts black

9 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

They are like 20-21 inches? I haven't plugged any in yet though. 

that's not bad if they're 1080

14 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Thank you for doing the right thing and not just selling them off.
So many people these days seems to have no clue about the due process with these things.

Just like paper records, HDDs/SSDs/Other storage medium containing sensitive data should be secure wiped/destroyed, yet they just carelessly do this kind of bullshit.

*koff* ncix *koff*

it's time

20 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

that's not bad if they're 1080

I might use them at work. I like CCFL screens all day more than led, led gives off more blue light. Not sure yet I do have a pretty nice 1440p screen at work which I like as much as it hurts my eyes. 

muh specs 

All parts black

13 minutes ago, RollTime said:

*koff* ncix *koff*

75% of the time data isn't destroyed properly. Our information is already out there anyway, there's a leak like every week. 

muh specs 

All parts black

11 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

75% of the time data isn't destroyed properly. Our information is already out there anyway, there's a leak like every week. 

You'd think it wouldn't be so hard to just encrypt things... for heaven's sake, I have an encrypted partition on my drive (which I know is a lot easier than encrypted enterprise storage, but still)  and I'm not even in charge of anyone else's data. It's just common sense. 

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

You'd think it wouldn't be so hard to just encrypt things... for heaven's sake, I have an encrypted partition on my drive (which I know is a lot easier than encrypted enterprise storage, but still)  and I'm not even in charge of anyone else's data. It's just common sense. 

yah but there's no accountability. There's a small chance someone will actually steal the data when you trash it, and an even smaller chance that you'll be blamed for it. 
So why bother? 
Then there's the people that don't know better. I think for this place they used external IT. Small office. 

muh specs 

All parts black

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah but there's no accountability. There's a small chance someone will actually steal the data when you trash it, and an even smaller chance that you'll be blamed for it. 
So why bother? 
Then there's the people that don't know better. I think for this place they used external IT. Small office. 

That might make sense. For some there's no excuse, though.

it's time

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I was told they wanted to get rid of some computer crap, and I offered to take it.

Ah, I see you know the secrets as well.

Last month I put together 10 working builds made of recycled stuff, mainly AM3 stuff though, Intel isn't really popular in my country except for old low end stuff and 775 boards, I sell them cheap or just donate some to schools

found a 2TB drive paired with an old 40GB drive inside one of the cases, quite the upgrade for that machine, straight to my NAS xD

no SSDs here, same as with Intel stuff, too expensive

31 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Our information is already out there anyway, there's a leak like every week. 

not if you avoid sharing super personal info on websites or chat rooms

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

not if you avoid sharing super personal info on websites or chat rooms

well for leaks from stuff like equifax, government, and more peoples socials are definitely getting out here in the states, statistically everyone's info probably already out there. There's constant leaks for millions or more and a lot of them are more sensitive info and not encrypted, and after years and years of this I think everyone in the US has been hit at least once even if the data hasn't been used. Its SO EASY to buy info right now

muh specs 

All parts black

6 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

some are made from glass and some from aluminum i think, but im not sure what's in them these days. The ones I had were certainly glass. 

The shattering - it's so beutiful :| On a side note, I wonder if I can buy a 3.5' HDD with more than 6 platters (enterprise grade is welcome)...