"Sata III" M2.SSD not fitting with my SATA cable

Laura-Marie

Hai everyone. I've been a subscriber to LTT but never really thought of making an account here, but I ran into this problem

Long story short, I wanted to buy a small/budget SSD off Amazon. I found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLTPW30/

And checked under "Hardware Connectivity", and it said SATA. I only have SATA 2, but I did google a bit, and I found SATA 3 does work with SATA 2 (just at lower speeds?)

Well, I got this home and my SATA cable doesn't really fit over the connector. I also just noticed, my other SSD has a plug coming from the PSU as well, and I don't think my PSU has connectors that small to fit this one.

Did I screw up bad? Or am I missing something totally stupid? Thanks for any insight/help in advance. I'm sure I screwed up somewhere

2 minutes ago, Laura-Marie said:

Hai everyone. I've been a subscriber to LTT but never really thought of making an account here, but I ran into this problem

Long story short, I wanted to buy a small/budget SSD off Amazon. I found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLTPW30/

And checked under "Hardware Connectivity", and it said SATA. I only have SATA 2, but I did google a bit, and I found SATA 3 does work with SATA 2 (just at lower speeds?)

Well, I got this home and my SATA cable doesn't really fit over the connector. I also just noticed, my other SSD has a plug coming from the PSU as well, and I don't think my PSU has connectors that small to fit this one.

Did I screw up bad? Or am I missing something totally stupid? Thanks for any insight/help in advance. I'm sure I screwed up somewhere

Man you have an M.2 ssd put it into ans M.2 slot on your mobo.

Image result for m.2 slot

It's an M.2 drive. Those use connectors on your motherboard. The protocol is still "sata", but the connection is different.

"M.2 SSD Solid State Drive"

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

ximg_59814ee326ae8.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.t2cqXPimUE.jpg

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

thats not a m.2 drive. Thats a apploe only form factor.

It was just as an example, to show him what he should be looking for and the way it connects. 

I have a ASUS P8H61-M  motherboard, forgot to mention! I was thinking I could still use my SATA cables because the hardware connectivity said SATA. I am pretty new to pc building or whatnot, so I apologize if this is coming off weird. Does my mobo support these "M.2" SSDS?

1 minute ago, Laura-Marie said:

I have a ASUS P8H61-M  motherboard, forgot to mention! I was thinking I could still use my SATA cables because the hardware connectivity said SATA. I am pretty new to pc building or whatnot, so I apologize if this is coming off weird. Does my mobo support these "M.2" SSDS?

No, your mobo has no M.2 support/connection.

2 minutes ago, partymarty said:

No, your mobo has no M.2 support/connection.

Shucks. I bought the wrong thing! :-(

I can give you some options, for a SSD that you can connect?

1- Transcend SSD360 

2- Transcend SSD370

3- HP SATA 2,5"

4- Sandisk Z400

Those are small (32GB), cheap SSDs in my region (The Netherlands)

24 minutes ago, partymarty said:

1- Transcend SSD360 

2- Transcend SSD370

3- HP SATA 2,5"

4- Sandisk Z400

Those are small (32GB), cheap SSDs in my region (The Netherlands)

Thank you! <3

It's not all for not since you purchased an m.2 SSD that uses SATA since you can get enclosures that will allow you to use it through regular SATA connections (just search m.2 to sata on amazon and you should get a few viable results).

2 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

It's not all for not since you purchased an m.2 SSD that uses SATA since you can get enclosures that will allow you to use it through regular SATA connections (just search m.2 to sata on amazon and you should get a few viable results).

Oh really? What's an enclosure?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Yea, as the others have stated, M.2 is a FORM FACTOR. M.2 supports a number of protocols such as SATA III and NVME. You'll need a drive with an actual SATA connector.

Why do you want a 32GB SSD? For what purpose are you planning on using it that a USB flash disk wouldn't be adequate? 32gb just seems ridiculously small.

12 hours ago, partymarty said:

1- Transcend SSD360 

2- Transcend SSD370

3- HP SATA 2,5"

4- Sandisk Z400

The BX500 line by Crucial is better value. Bought a 120GB one for €30 for my mom's PC. The 240GB variety is like €45.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 hours ago, peacefulpolarbear said:

Yea, as the others have stated, M.2 is a FORM FACTOR. M.2 supports a number of protocols such as SATA III and NVME. You'll need a drive with an actual SATA connector.

Why do you want a 32GB SSD? For what purpose are you planning on using it that a USB flash disk wouldn't be adequate? 32gb just seems ridiculously small.

I was on a tight budget of only $10, and had $8 on a gift card w/ my Amazon account. I was trying out ubuntu budgie on my old flash usb drive, but I heard using a SSD is far better performance wise. Trust me 32GB is more than enough for what I do xD

22 hours ago, Laura-Marie said:

Oh really? What's an enclosure?

An enclosure would be a really good idea for you since upgrading to a modern motherboard later would allow you to plug the m.2 into it and save some real estate.

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAC5F6WM4818?ignorebbr=true&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile-_-pla-_-Mac+-+Storage-_-9SIAC5F6WM4818&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3KzdBRDWARIsAIJ8TMTn78DdvLPTuJyXp-UsDoT4jw6q4kpf9CN9_zPRg6LmmhLNy0WELDAaAl65EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is what you'd want, and as you can see it converts your itty bitty drive to the connectors you're used to on a regular hard drive

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 hours ago, fasauceome said:

An enclosure would be a really good idea for you since upgrading to a modern motherboard later would allow you to plug the m.2 into it and save some real estate.

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAC5F6WM4818?ignorebbr=true&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile-_-pla-_-Mac+-+Storage-_-9SIAC5F6WM4818&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3KzdBRDWARIsAIJ8TMTn78DdvLPTuJyXp-UsDoT4jw6q4kpf9CN9_zPRg6LmmhLNy0WELDAaAl65EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is what you'd want, and as you can see it converts your itty bitty drive to the connectors you're used to on a regular hard drive

Interesting. Yeah, I'm going to save a bit and buy that soon. Thanks for the link and help everyone. I really ant to see if I can get one on Amazon so I can use my mom's prime account x\D