Advice on First Higher End Headphones

Maxwell_P

Hello :) As the title states, I'm looking for some advice on my first pair of higher end headphones (about $200 or less). I have a few options I was considering after a bit of online searching, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend some over the others, as well as answer a few questions about them. 

The headphones I am looking at so far are:

Audio-Technica M50X

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros

AKG K7XX (I know these are limited editions from Massdrop, but I have seen quite a few pairs on Amazon and have heard very positive reviews)

I listen to a lot of different music, from classical to heavy metal (DOOM 2016 soundtrack especially haha). I also enjoy atmospheric/Lo-fi type music as well. My main question is which one of these will give me the best music listening experience, as I do not do any content creation, and I don't care about how they are for gaming. Also, would an amp and dac be worth it for any of these headphones? If it would improve the audio I would not mind spending the extra money.

I apologize in advance if I left anything our am just being ignorant, these will be my first actually good headphones, pretty much the only thing I have used are $20 headphones from Walmart.

Audio-Technica M50X 

Just saying i never bought high end headphones but ill just say that

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

happy hannukah
these cans are absolutely The Bomb, people plug these badboys into thousand dollar tube amps because of how well they scale
they work really well for your use case scenario, too
you will need to buy an amp though, just hit google up for some common pairings for these headphones

8 minutes ago, ramencupofjoy said:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

happy hannukah
these cans are absolutely The Bomb, people plug these badboys into thousand dollar tube amps because of how well they scale
they work really well for your use case scenario, too
you will need to buy an amp though, just hit google up for some common pairings for these headphones

I joined the HD6XX drop earlier today. I've been wanting a pair of either HD650s or HD700s, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get them at only $200. It's seriously like the best deal ever. However, the drop ends in something like 16 hours, so act fast if you want a pair. They don't come around super often.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

37 minutes ago, DukeOLuke said:

Audio-Technica M50X 

Just saying i never bought high end headphones but ill just say that

M50X is total garbage.

Like everyone else said, get the HD6XX.

Disagree strongly with DukeOLuke, agree strongly with ramencupofjoy. Go for the M50X if you enjoy bass that overwhelms mids thus muddying the sound, or the HD6XX for a more balanced all-rounder......great for music, gaming (Not as wide soundstage as I'd have liked but good imaging, more than what I can say about the M50X) and movies. IF you were to get the M50X, it'd not scale well (if at all) even if you were to get better DAC stack/combo or amp. The HD6XX (like the HD600 and HD650) is a different animal, pair it with better audio gear and it'd scale well with such gear.

@Maxwell_PWill this can be used in a quiet environment where there's little to no extraneous noise? Will you be alone and not disturb anyone with the sound leak? If yes, then the HD6XX would be ideal. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Ok, thank you! Yes, these will be used solely for at home listening, and generally when I am alone. The only noises around are my computer and the fan I have a few feet from my desk, and perhaps my cat haha. Thanks for all the help! I'll run over to the drop right now, and look into an amp/dac in the near future!

(A quality headphone) > (>$100 USD headphone amplifier). That’s @SSL ‘s sage advice. 

Can you afford 2 pairs of cans? 1 pr open-back and 1 pr closed-back. Different uses. Different strengths.

You also have house panthers!? I’d urge you to consider headphones that have replaceable cables. Om nom nom nom (over night or when their bored).

I picked up a pair of HD6xx (and they really are HD650 clones) at the beginning of summer. No buyer’s remorse. My elderly HD5... cans are still kicking. Believe the hype, eh.

I’m an unrepentant Schiit Audio fanboy (4 brushed aluminum boxes & counting...[Magni, ModiMB, Loki Mini, SYS]). Consider the Schiit Magni3 headphone amplifier. $99 USD + shipping. It lights up my cans like nothing else!

Buying a DAC? ... ... ... meh, I did. This year, I decided (audiophile toys) > (beer + [video game allowance]).  Metro ExodusO.o will have to wait for a bit!