AT&T offers T-Mobile users up to $450 credit to switch

shizngiggles

Apparently ATT is trying to jump the gun on T-Mobile after the rumors of T-Mobile planning to pay for Early Termination Fees for anyone coming over from ATT while still under contract. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/03/us-att-tmobile-idUSBREA020HQ20140103

To receive the $450 credit you need to come over from T-Mobile and trade-in a phone.Credit for the phone is based on the value and condition of it. Additionally, you receive $200 per-line. Obviously targeting people with family plans.

That's a pretty aggressive strategy. At&T is definitely going to be stealing away some customers from T-Mobile with this move, but then there's the "problem" of AT&T being much more expensive than TMo. All of this phone carrier actions is really starting to heat up, and it's extremely fun/funny to watch.

Your move T-Mobile.

COMIC SANS

That's a pretty aggressive strategy. At&T is definitely going to be stealing away some customers from T-Mobile with this move, but then there's the "problem" of AT&T being much more expensive than TMo. All of this phone carrier actions is really starting to heat up, and it's extremely fun/funny to watch.

Your move T-Mobile.

My problem with ATT is that they don't have unlimited data and the data packages they have are garbage for the price. However, this deal could be appealing for anyone who has multiples lines on a single account, ie family accounts where you could actually see some savings. Individual accounts might not be worth it being the individual rates are far higher than T-Mobile and really the only benefit to switching at that point would be better 4G coverage and getting that quick lump sum of credit.

The reason theyre doing this is because Sprint is about to/trying to acquire TMobile. AT&T tried an failed and so i guess this is their last resort

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

att.jpg?w=704

AT&T has announced incentives worth up to $450 for T-Mobile customers who switch to their service. The move is being made in response to T-Mobile’s Uncarrier offers, after AT&T recently said that it too expected to move toward separating device and service charges.

Proving the old adage that there’s no such thing as a free lunch, the deal of course comes with strings. First, $250 of that is the maximum you’ll receive in return for trading in your existing T-Mobile handset. To get the full $250, you’ll need a recent handset in good condition – in which case you’d almost certainly get more selling it privately …

Second, the balance of the $200 you receive just for switching is dependent on you buying a new AT&T handset outright at full retail, or activating your own unlocked phone. You’ll only receive that credit when you’ve been paying your AT&T bills for 90 days.

Finally, AT&T is not waiving its standard $36 activation fee, so you’ll have to pay that before you start seeing any money back. Oh, and it’s time-limited offer, but AT&T hasn'’t yet said when it expires.

As a British sitcom character once put it, the small print taketh away what the headline giveth.

T-Mobile is believed to be planning to announce its own switching incentive at CES next week. While that too will no doubt come with catches of its own, renewed competition between the carriers can only be good news for consumers in the long run – though after AT&T’s failed bid to buy T-Mobile, it’s looking like Sprint may be next in line.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

The reason theyre doing this is because Sprint is about to/trying to acquire TMobile. AT&T tried an failed and so i guess this is their last resort

I think Sprint ended up not being allowed to for the same reason AT&T "failed": the US courts said no. Maybe I just read the wrong news story and nothing's happened yet, but I think that same thing will happen if it hasn't. It's ironic Sprint is going after T Mobile when they sued to stop AT&T from buying them

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

i bet it says "up to" somewhere

its a dick move either way

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Repost.

put the original post link to prove it is a repost please

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I think Sprint ended up not being allowed to for the same reason AT&T "failed": the US courts said no. Maybe I just read the wrong news story and nothing's happened yet, but I think that same thing will happen if it hasn't. It's ironic Sprint is going after T Mobile when they sued to stop AT&T from buying them

Last I checked Sprint was only considering put a bid up for T-Mobile, nothing was official and nothing had even been brought to the FCC to determine whether it was okay yet.

Actually Sprint are not thinking about buying T-Mo. Sprint's owner Softbank is considering making an offer. Whether they will merge T-Mo with Sprint or keep them seperate is unknown, though given the cost to convert Sprint to GSM or T-Mo to CDMA they would most likely be kept as their own companies.

If T-Mo does start offering to pay ETFs for people to switch of ATT I might consider it. Their plan prices are similar and I like T-Mo's implimentation of buy as you go better since you aren't forced into a contract. Plus I think T-Mo has better tablet plans and they also have the phone I want (Nexus 5). Not being under a contract would be nice too.

$450 credit? Oh boy! That sounds just like Verizon's bill when they screwed up the bill and expected me to pay that much for a /single/ phone that didn't get hard use. American phone providers suck so bad.

I find this funny as this is standard in any uk phoneshop except they want to give you £10 on a phone you can sell for £100

It seems you guys over the pond seem to have the worst mobile phone contracts imaginable.

System: i5-2500k, Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline, R9 290X, CoolerMaster Elite 430, OCZ Vector, Corsair RM650, Dell U2412M, Corsair H60, Sidewinder X6, M6880, Asus Xonar DG      
Steam username: Armorhype          Origin username: Armorhype          Xbox Live Gamertag: Armorhype                   

It seems you guys over the pond seem to have the worst mobile phone contracts imaginable.

Yep. Our major telecoms love to "donate" to the government and "promote" their agendas.

All of these telecom wars = consumer win.  ;)

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

This will convince a lot of people to switch over.

The only reason I'm still with AT&T is because I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan for $30 a month.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue