AMD Navi release date, news and rumors

The_Tron

We'll see if this can shake up the market as much as Ryzen.

"

•  
  •  
  •  
AMD Navi

It’s been about a year since we got the new AMD Vega cards, which gave the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 a run for their money. However, the rest of AMD’s product line is still running on Polaris, and may continue to do so until AMD Navi makes its way to market.

But what will AMD Navi look like?

Rumor has it that AMD Navi probably won’t materialize into a high-end graphics card immediately, instead saving its hand for much later, according to a leaked roadmap reported by Wccftech. What this means is that gamers will have to wait a little while before they can get their hands on the next gaming-ready cards from AMD. 

AMD Navi’s delay may be a sign of AMD’s change in direction for its GPUs – catering to PC gamers is out, while custom GPU designs for corporations like Sony and Apple are in. This seems to fit in nicely with the rumor that AMD Navi is going to be designed with the Xbox Two and PS5 in mind. 

Now, before we dive into all the juicy information, gossip and speculation bear in mind that nothing is set in stone yet. However, make sure you bookmark this page, as we’ll update it just as soon as any new information comes our way.

Cut to the Chase

• What is it? AMD's next-generation 7nm GPU architecture
  • When is it out? 2018
  • What will it cost? Pricing remains yet to be confirmed

AMD Navi

AMD Navi release date

Right now, the only official proof that Navi will be launch anytime soon is a small statement from AMD titled “Expanding our High-Performance Leadership with Focused 7nm Development.” 

In the release, AMD Chief Technology Officer Mark Papermaster states that “We have already tapped out multiple 7nm products at TSMC, including our first 7nm GPU planned to launch later this year and our first 7nm server CPU that we plan to launch in 2019.”

Unfortunately, even with that statement we don’t really have a full picture of when or how AMD Navi is going to hit the market. Especially when this 7nm GPU AMD is referring to could be an Vega 7nm chip, which thus far have only been packed into Radeon Instinct cards meant for severs and workstations. 

A lot of the speculation right now revolves around Navi being designed to power the next generation of game consoles, with gaming graphics cards to follow later. 

This all comes from that leaked roadmap we mentioned earlier, which suggests that AMD Navi will show up in the second half of 2019. However, the entire line probably won’t make an appearance at the same time. Instead, the cards that will likely show up in 2019 will be more mid-range products for budget-minded gamers with full-fat enthusiast grade 7nm cards showing up as late as 2020. 

This all comes from a leaked benchmark, however, but it would seem to fall in line with when we can expect the next generation of consoles – late 2019/early 2020. 

We’re sure AMD will have more to share early next year – maybe at CES 2019?

missing-image.svg

AMD Navi price

Over the last decade or so, AMD has essentially built a name for itself in the GPU space as the budget king. And, as Nvidia gets ready to release its next generation of Turing RTX graphics cards that cost upwards of a thousand bucks, AMD will probably double down on this – just like it released Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper to counter Intel.

As for the exact pricing, we’re not entirely sure, but we expect the pricing to follow in line with the Radeon RX 500 series. Those prices are below.

• AMD Radeon RX 550 - $114 (£99, AU$104)
  • AMD Radeon RX 560 - $139 (£140, AU$235)
  • AMD Radeon RX 570 - $280 (£250, AU$340)
  • AMD Radeon RX 580 - $289 (£289, AU$450)

We can expect the prices to go up, however, due to the likely inclusion of GDDR6 memory, which we’ll dive into later. Either way, expect to pay more for the Radeon RX 650.

AMD Navi

AMD Navi specs

Beyond the rumor that it’s going to be running on a 7nm process and GDDR6, there’s not much we know about AMD Navi. Because AMD Navi is going to be the first mainstream GPU processor to break away from the GCN architecture, we could see more shaders and and faster clock speeds, while improving efficiency substantially.

However, we don’t think AMD is going to be doing much to compete on the high-end with Nvidia this time around. AMD Vega 7nm, which would have the horsepower to compete with Nvidia Turing, won’t be coming to gamers. Instead, it will likely appeal more towards professionals and creatives – with Apple likely being a huge customer. 

In the past AMD would compete with high-end Nvidia GPUs by just shoving multiple chips into a graphics cards and passing it along as a enthusiast-grade GPU. This time around, though, AMD has made it clear that it’s not interested in making multi-GPU setups, according to a report from PCWorld. This is backed up by the fact that only two of the AMD Radeon RX 500 series cards were even compatible with Crossfire. 

So, instead of any high-end GPU, we’ll likely see a Radeon RX 600 series that’ll continue the legacy of cards like the AMD Radeon RX 580, delivering respectable performance in modern titles at 1080p while keeping prices attainable for more budget-conscious gamers. So instead of the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti rival, think more Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 in terms of direct competition.

Unfortunately, we’re going to have to keep waiting for concrete information on AMD Navi. But, until then, keep this page bookmarked for all the latest news, rumors and speculation.     "

Source: https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-navi

I, umm, what?

Navi this year? I really doubt that. I guess it will be a paper launch and take a few months until it will be properly launched. And i doubt it's going to be great... Like, i really hope it will compete with the RTX cards, but i think it's going to be a rushed hot mess...

I'm skeptical and don't have much hope in it, let's hope i'm wrong.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I, umm, what?

Navi this year? I really doubt that. I guess it will be a paper launch and take a few months until it will be properly launched. And i doubt it's going to be great... Like, i really hope it will compete with the RTX cards, but i think it's going to be a rushed hot mess...

I'm skeptical and don't have much hope in it, let's hope i'm wrong.

AMD said themselves that Navi will be out later this year

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

4 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

no they didn't...

Nvidia felt pressured to release the GTX 1070Ti which cannibalized GTX 1080 sales just to hold off Vega 56. So I would say that AMD did give Nvidia run for their money.

2 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

AMD said themselves that Navi will be out later this year

Nope. We have no idea when it's launching and the entire article the OP linked is basically speculation and contains no hard facts.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The rumors I have heard are that the Navi which is coming in the 1st half of 2019 will have only 1080ti level performance.

And that high end Navi will only come in 2020.

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

@The_Tron your post does not meet the requirements for a Tech News topic. Please review the guidelines and update accordingly.

After which it will be moved back, please notify a mod when completed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nvidia felt pressured to release the GTX 1070Ti which cannibalized GTX 1080 sales just to hold off Vega 56. So I would say that AMD did give Nvidia run for their money.

it was more like to completely destroy Vega 56 and 64 sales, they were hot and noisy and consumed ALOT of power, there was no reason at all to buy them, and mostly vega 64 performed below the 1080 or even the 1070 sometimes.

who said the 1070 Ti cannibalized the sales? selling the 1070 Ti increased their profit, it's basically a cut down 1080, so all the failed 1080 chips that would've became 1070, are now 1070 Ti which are sold at a higher price, so it increases their profits, and anyone who wanted to buy a 1080 bought a 1080, just for bragging rights and name.

also not to mention that from day one Vega 56 and 64 were taken by miners and it was impossible to buy them because of the insane prices.. even right now the prices didn't go down to MSRP.. 

22 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nope. We have no idea when it's launching and the entire article the OP linked is basically speculation and contains no hard facts.

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/expanding-our-high-performance-leadership-focused-7nm

"including our first 7nm GPU planned to launch later this year and our first 7nm server CPU that we plan to launch in 2019."

18 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

it was more like to completely destroy Vega 56 and 64 sales, they were hot and noisy and consumed ALOT of power, there was no reason at all to buy them, and mostly vega 64 performed below the 1080 or even the 1070 sometimes.

who said the 1070 Ti cannibalized the sales? selling the 1070 Ti increased their profit, it's basically a cut down 1080, so all the failed 1080 chips that would've became 1070, are now 1070 Ti which are sold at a higher price, so it increases their profits, and anyone who wanted to buy a 1080 bought a 1080, just for bragging rights and name.

also not to mention that from day one Vega 56 and 64 were taken by miners and it was impossible to buy them because of the insane prices.. even right now the prices didn't go down to MSRP.. 

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/expanding-our-high-performance-leadership-focused-7nm

"including our first 7nm GPU planned to launch later this year and our first 7nm server CPU that we plan to launch in 2019."

I made a post about this before as well. It turns out the one launching in 2018 is vega 20, which is also on 7nm. Navi is yet to be announced. 

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

22 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

Yes, this is Vega 20 which is a compute product launching in 2018. We don't know when Navi is launching.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

31 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

it was more like to completely destroy Vega 56 and 64 sales, they were hot and noisy and consumed ALOT of power, there was no reason at all to buy them,

There was at least one reason... mining. Their ethereum performance blew away nvidia cards of the time. With the current depression of mining value you'd hope that supply of Vega cards would increase, and prices drop, but I'm not seeing that. Makes you wonder, have they given up making them, or is there something else about to replace it?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, syn2112 said:

no they didn't...

Yes they did, but not in gaming.

Their mining and compute performance was off the chart when compared to nvidia.

That is why you couldnt buy them at all last year.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yes they did, but not in gaming.

Their mining and compute performance was off the chart when compared to nvidia.

That is why you couldnt buy them at all last year.

1 hour ago, porina said:

There was at least one reason... mining. Their ethereum performance blew away nvidia cards of the time. With the current depression of mining value you'd hope that supply of Vega cards would increase, and prices drop, but I'm not seeing that. Makes you wonder, have they given up making them, or is there something else about to replace it?

so we're considering mining as the purpose of GPU's now? if that's the case then AMD has the best GPU's on the market...  can't wait to compare RTX cards vs Vega for mining

1 hour ago, Daegun said:

I made a post about this before as well. It turns out the one launching in 2018 is vega 20, which is also on 7nm. Navi is yet to be announced. 

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes, this is Vega 20 which is a compute product launching in 2018. We don't know when Navi is launching.

oh :D my mistake, didn't know Vega 20 was still a thing, i thought they were going straight to Navi

2 hours ago, porina said:

In the UK, the prices have gone down a bit for both used and new Vega 56s. AIBs also aren't probably buying tons of Vega 10 chips from AMD at this point hence the lack of 3rd party RX Vega 56s.

Earlier this year Vega 56s used to cost around £700 new but now they're around £500 new. They're still above their MSRP of £399 but I digress.

Also, the shortage of Vega cards could be related to the HBM shortages as well.

image.png.446503c09b0ac338d8cd3380e62cc4c4.png

3 hours ago, syn2112 said:

so we're considering mining as the purpose of GPU's now? if that's the case then AMD has the best GPU's on the market...  can't wait to compare RTX cards vs Vega for mining

It wasn't the only use, but still for a time it was a significant use.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

In the UK, the prices have gone down a bit for both used and new Vega 56s. AIBs also aren't probably buying tons of Vega 10 chips from AMD at this point hence the lack of 3rd party RX Vega 56s.

New the pricing still doesn't make sense. Get a far cheaper 1070 if gaming if the main thing. Actually I was looking at Scan earlier, there's a V64 at not dissimilar price to a V56 that starts to make some sense. I got my V56 from Scan not long after its launch for £400 - one of the few non game bundle cards. Not seen anything like it since.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, the shortage of Vega cards could be related to the HBM shortages as well.

Wasn't aware of that. DDR in its various forms at least seems to be flowing at least.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 hours ago, syn2112 said:

oh :D my mistake, didn't know Vega 20 was still a thing, i thought they were going straight to Navi

vega 20 this year is gonna be the first high performance part manufactured on 7nm. When you move to a new process node like this typically yields are not great at first. So it's expensive for AMD... That's why they are focusing on the data center market first where they can sell Vega 20 for thousands of dollars, they know it will be very profitable despite the manufacturing cost. 

If they launch Navi which is targetted at gamers they have to be price competitive with Nvidia. So they are holding that off until the first half of 2019 by which time 7nm production would have ramped up and matured.