Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE banned from 5G infrastructure in Australia due to security concerns

Spotty
Message added by W-L

Please remember to keep political discussions off the table and related to the topic at hand

On 8/23/2018 at 5:22 AM, Spotty said:

The ban is in response to relatively new Chinese laws which state that any Chinese organisation must co-operate and assist with the Chinese government with state intelligence work.

Yep, sounds like a company people should support

/s

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 8/24/2018 at 1:15 AM, mynameisjuan said:

Huawei already has enterprise switches for ISPs around the world including Aus. So why does it matter? If they are spying they already have years of data. 

I highly doubt Huawei is too. 

Our network and wireless upgrade is 100% Huawei, many millions worth of equipment. Current joke in ITS is we don't need backups anymore, China is doing it for us :).

Actually serious though no Huawei equipment is allowed to be sold to Aus, NZ, Canada, UK or the US without being certified for sale in these countries by one of the security and intelligence agencies and the equipment has to be specific models made for us and manufactured in certified and monitored plants with regular spot inspections through physical inspection and also installation in to sandbox networks with long term network monitoring.

Anything actually malicious will be at a weak point upstream from us in countries and locations that aren't using those certified and restricted equipment.

It was rather interesting getting some real intimate knowledge of the hoops Huawei actually has to jump through to actually even bid on our network RFP as well as actually supply the equipment. Certified Hauwei equipment is probably safer privacy wise than US equipment which is just implicitly trusted.

On 24/08/2018 at 1:44 AM, LAwLz said:

I also think it's funny that it's Australia who are worried.

You know, Australia, the country currently trying to push a law which would force companies to assist their intelligence services with obtaining data from people.

So they are OK with it when they are the ones potentially gaining the information, but as soon as China might be able to influence what a company does with their products all of a sudden it is a massive security risk and the entire company should be banned.

Not sure what I should call this.

Hypocrisy? Xenophobia?

In general it's a better idea to keep the population's data for the government and not to another country lol. 

10 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

In general it's a better idea to keep the population's data for the government and not to another country lol. 

Also if I'm paying for spies out of my tax then I expect, require, that our spies actually spy otherwise I want a refund and fire the lot of them.

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

It was rather interesting getting some real intimate knowledge of the hoops Huawei actually has to jump through to actually even bid on our network RFP as well as actually supply the equipment. Certified Hauwei equipment is probably safer privacy wise than US equipment which is just implicitly trusted.

And after the US government was caught literally hijacking shipments of network equipment to install backdoors, only a fool would have any good faith for them.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Also if I'm paying for spies out of my tax then I expect, require, that our spies actually spy otherwise I want a refund and fire the lot of them.

I feel like we need a refund on my tax-paid things in NZ. 

On 8/23/2018 at 9:38 AM, vorticalbox said:

Care to expand with an argument? maybe a personal opinion or feeling?

back on topic, does anyone else feel like this is just plain bullying? The US government has no problems trying to force companies to cooperate but when China does suddenly it's a bad thing that must be stopped.

I guess you havent read much that i post.

Aside from the obvious security issues with having companies that are basically an arm of the Chinese Communist Party making infrastructure for countries that China actively engages in cyber warfare against via PLA Unit 61398 etc. China is an enemy of the west, which of course includes Aus and the other 5 Eyes nations.

There is the economic reason. There is already a huge trade deficit. Western infrastructure, including IT, shouldnt rely on China. 

China has already infiltrated the Australian govt to a significant degree, they dont need to assist them in monitoring everything.

It is my personal opinion that there should be an embargo on China, like any hostile nation.