Just reset my PC, browser recommendations?

I'm sort of looking to move away from Chrome due to how much RAM it's been using. Should I go with Firefox, Opera, or Vivaldi?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

If you didn't like Chrome's RAM usage, you're going to hate Vivaldi's RAM usage.

On the bright side, it's pretty damn customizeable.

P.S. I use Vivaldi on the daily, I speak from experience. 

BiQ3K.png

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

firefox has become the de facto browser for people who like using not microsoft edge and who prefer to have RAM left over for other browsers. I use chrome on literally all of my devices, even my 4gb laptop, so I don't mind the overhead because I'm integrated. However, if you're not gonna open 30+ tabs at once, you won't actually feel the impact.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I like having things synced when something happens, I don't get that same level of integration from browsers than aren't Chrome.

Firefox and opera are pretty standard. 

Supposedly most mobile phone browsers are modified Opera. 

I’d go Firefox if I didn’t have chrome. Edit: I think there’s also a cut down version of Firefox too that’s easier on ram.

May I ask - what is wrong with high RAM usage? You bough your ram for not being used? RAM usage is not something wrong, this is something that you have paid for, so that the programs will run faster. Ok, Chrome is not my browser, I'm using Waterfox and Opera sometimes, but still I don't care about ram usage. Do you see any slowdown? Or maybe "out of memory" warning somewhere?

And another thing - this is modern computer, so why you just don't install as many browsers as you can - Opera, Vivaldi, Firefox, Waterfox, Maxthon etc. and try every of them?

Firefox has been my main for past 15 years. The 2nd has been Chrome, Chromium and Opera. Currently sticking with Opera as it doesn't have some annoyance Chromium has and would allow me to select install path. Also many Chrome addons work on Opera, you can even get addon to allow direct installs from Chrome Store.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yes, Firefox was nice some time ago, until they remove possibility to use 90% of extensions - now is probably the only browser where I cannot (fully) change key assignments, mouse gestures don't work on some pages and customization is a joke. That is why I'm using Waterfox.

Opera is probably best Chrome clone, but as all Chrome clones has one thing I don't like - font smoothing. And it's impossible to disable this "great" feature for some time (there was option for that some versions ago, but is no longer available). I'll probably switch to Opera sooner or later, because Waterfox is not exactly what I expect, but for now I really like my eyes. :)

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

May I ask - what is wrong with high RAM usage? You bough your ram for not being used? RAM usage is not something wrong, this is something that you have paid for, so that the programs will run faster. Ok, Chrome is not my browser, I'm using Waterfox and Opera sometimes, but still I don't care about ram usage. Do you see any slowdown? Or maybe "out of memory" warning somewhere?

And another thing - this is modern computer, so why you just don't install as many browsers as you can - Opera, Vivaldi, Firefox, Waterfox, Maxthon etc. and try every of them?

I'm not sure if it was due to my extensions or what, but Chrome was using anywhere from 2-5 gigs regularly. It wasn't a huge problem, but I'd definitely prefer something that isn't as demanding. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

8 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

I'm not sure if it was due to my extensions or what, but Chrome was using anywhere from 2-5 gigs regularly. It wasn't a huge problem, but I'd definitely prefer something that isn't as demanding. 

How many tabs and how many extensions do you run? I find myself hard pressed to go over like 1.5GB of RAM usage in Vivaldi and that's if I'm doing a lot of shit.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

How many tabs and how many extensions do you run? I find myself hard pressed to go over like 1.5GB of RAM usage in Vivaldi and that's if I'm doing a lot of shit.

When using Chrome, I only had around 10 extensions, and anywhere from 5 to 25 tabs. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

I like having things synced when something happens, I don't get that same level of integration from browsers than aren't Chrome.

Both Firefox and Opera support sync option.

Just now, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

When using Chrome, I only had around 10 extensions, and anywhere from 5 to 25 tabs. 

Maybe it's because I hardly have a lot open, but I only have about four extensions running and usually 4-8 tabs, so that seems daunting to me and would explain a whole lot.

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

In the past when I was playing one online fb game, I had 20 accounts and was using 20 browsers. They were all opened at the same time. All of them combined with other windows apps my RAM usage was approx 8-9GB. Sometimes Edge was having some glitch and was using 1.5GB, restarting was fixing it. From my experience Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Vivaldi were best browsers, but Vivaldi didn't have sync option. I don't know if they added it now... My main browser is Chrome both at home and work.

For those talking about synchronisation Vivaldi does no support it, though I cannot say how good it is as I have never bothered with it on any browser.  Vivaldi would be my personal 1st choice as a browser (both home machines and work machine) with FireFox as the alternative.  Used to use WaterFox but I haven't checked on how that is doing since the Quantum release.