Transfer Windows 10 from HDD to SSD

JDCKVII

So I just put a new SSD into my PC and haven't created any partitions or anything, its just plugged in and sitting there. I had Windows 10 on one of my two 1TB HDDs and would like to move just windows to this new SSD. Am I able to do this? 

Also: I was going down to root of cloning from HDD to SSD with EaseUS but I'm not sure if it's going to try to copy everything from my HDD to the SSD, or is it going to just clone windows. Wasn't sure so decided to make this post.

2 minutes ago, JDCKVII said:

So I just put a new SSD into my PC and haven't created any partitions or anything, its just plugged in and sitting there. I had Windows 10 on one of my two 1TB HDDs and would like to move just windows to this new SSD. Am I able to do this? 

You can, depending on how much data is on your HDD. If it's more than the size of the SSD itself, then no. But all in all, I generally recommend starting fresh with a new Windows installation. It'll take pretty much as much time as cloning your disk but will not bring any broken stuff from your HDD. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You can, depending on how much data is on your HDD. If it's more than the size of the SSD itself, then no. But all in all, I generally recommend starting fresh with a new Windows installation. It'll take pretty much as much time as cloning your disk but will not bring any broken stuff from your HDD. 

Yeah it wouldn't all fit onto the SSD and I don't want everything to transfer, just windows. Installing a fresh windows is probably my best bet then.

There is software that can do this, but I recommend reinstalling Windows, to avoid any driver incompatibility and possible corruption of the installation. Migrating Windows may make it slow compared to a fresh install.

hi.

I’m planning on doing the fresh windows install on the SSD today but im wondering if theres a way to keep all my games etc that are installed on both of the HDDs that I have currently, or will i have to wipe both or just the current HDD with the OS on it. Id like to continue using both HDDs and the SSD

Best method is - move all your files like images, movies, games into separate HDD. Leave only windows and programs. Clean up drive using Disk Cleanup (for save some space). Then clone your system using Macrium Reflect bootable USB (in program - Other Tasks - "Create rescue media" option). Or image into separate HDD (using the same bootable USB) and restore that image (so you will have a extra backup of your system).

Migrating into new drive is MUCH faster than installing system from zero (even fresh install is longer in many cases, and if you include all programs with their settings, it is huge different). Plus - you'll learn something, so next time someone asks for your advice, you can give some instead of "recommend fresh install" (because it's the only way some people know).

About driver incompatibility and other myths - it's DIGITAL COPY, not some VHS lossy copy. Your files will be as good as "freshly installed", your pictures will be the same nice, your movies will have the same quality and system files will have the same sizes and every byte will be identical! If you migrate from HDD to SSD, then you may expect one restart - after Windows detects new drive at first boot. That's all! Rest of drivers you have already installed. I'm working now on cloned drive (first I installed win10 on small old 120GB SSD, then move to 250GB Samsung, because I was still using win7 at that time, then I clone it into new 500GB Samsung SSD and restore win7 image to that old 250GB, because now win10 is my main system, then after some weeks I plug this drive into new motherboard with new processor and ram - and everything works; my old win7 was moved few times and last for 5 years without reinstall and any problems - and still works!). I restore images of system(s) with installed programs into many computers (the only I must do is change product key) which takes about 4 minutes (full installed system with all programs and all settings) + another 5 minutes for drivers. Tell me, is 10 minutes enough to made fresh install plus drivers, plus browsers, settings, extra applications etc? Damn, I love when someone says "I recommend" which mostly means "I know only this method and never try anything else, so it must be the only way".

And one more thing - some people may heard about bad copies/clones and that is not a myth. It's something that may happens if you're using cloning software on working system (or just crappy cloning software - but it's something different). Like hibernation or other "great" stuff that works good in theory, you can image your system (in theory) while is working because Windows using special technology called VSS or "Volume Shadow Copy". But in fact sometimes it's just not working as it suppose to work. So I always clone/image using second operating system (or second computer) where I plug my own HDD for made a image (then plug SSD to restore that image) or, if I have no access to another computer or drive with operating system - I made that bootable USB (which is the same good, but mostly slower). That way it always working good and safe.

34 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Best method is - move all your files like images, movies, games into separate HDD. Leave only windows and programs. Clean up drive using Disk Cleanup (for save some space). Then clone your system using Macrium Reflect bootable USB (in program - Other Tasks - "Create rescue media" option). Or image into separate HDD (using the same bootable USB) and restore that image (so you will have a extra backup of your system).

Migrating into new drive is MUCH faster than installing system from zero (even fresh install is longer in many cases, and if you include all programs with their settings, it is huge different). Plus - you'll learn something, so next time someone asks for your advice, you can give some instead of "recommend fresh install" (because it's the only way some people know).

About driver incompatibility and other myths - it's DIGITAL COPY, not some VHS lossy copy. Your files will be as good as "freshly installed", your pictures will be the same nice, your movies will have the same quality and system files will have the same sizes and every byte will be identical! If you migrate from HDD to SSD, then you may expect one restart - after Windows detects new drive at first boot. That's all! Rest of drivers you have already installed. I'm working now on cloned drive (first I installed win10 on small old 120GB SSD, then move to 250GB Samsung, because I was still using win7 at that time, then I clone it into new 500GB Samsung SSD and restore win7 image to that old 250GB, because now win10 is my main system, then after some weeks I plug this drive into new motherboard with new processor and ram - and everything works; my old win7 was moved few times and last for 5 years without reinstall and any problems - and still works!). I restore images of system(s) with installed programs into many computers (the only I must do is change product key) which takes about 4 minutes (full installed system with all programs and all settings) + another 5 minutes for drivers. Tell me, is 10 minutes enough to made fresh install plus drivers, plus browsers, settings, extra applications etc? Damn, I love when someone says "I recommend" which mostly means "I know only this method and never try anything else, so it must be the only way".

And one more thing - some people may heard about bad copies/clones and that is not a myth. It's something that may happens if you're using cloning software on working system (or just crappy cloning software - but it's something different). Like hibernation or other "great" stuff that works good in theory, you can image your system (in theory) while is working because Windows using special technology called VSS or "Volume Shadow Copy". But in fact sometimes it's just not working as it suppose to work. So I always clone/image using second operating system (or second computer) where I plug my own HDD for made a image (then plug SSD to restore that image) or, if I have no access to another computer or drive with operating system - I made that bootable USB (which is the same good, but mostly slower). That way it always working good and safe.

That sounds handy too. Know any video or guide for this just so I dont mess it up? :P

46 minutes ago, JDCKVII said:

That sounds handy too. Know any video or guide for this just so I dont mess it up? :P

Not really. Its not so hard, its drag and drop program with some extra options. Maybe I write tutorial some day (if someone help me with spellchecking).

9 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Not really. Its not so hard, its drag and drop program with some extra options. Maybe I write tutorial some day (if someone help me with spellchecking).

Definitely should it would help a lot of people! Going to go down the route of cleaning everything off all my drives this time and creating a backup of fresh windows 10 install w/ drivers for future installations if needed. Thank you!