Suggestions needed for cooling 2700X

Go to solution Solved by Quadriplegic,
5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Ah, thanks!

280s are a bit harder to find over here it seems. The only real contenders I see are the Corsair H115i and H110i, or if I stretch my target price a bit maybe the silent loop 280. That's already at a point where I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. I mean, the Arctic Freezer 240 is a killer deal at roughly €90 and comes with 4 fans, where the silent loop 280 is like €130 and I'd probably have to get two extra fans for that. Hmm...

H115i is pretty much as good as AIOs get. You could probably tamper with profiles to keep it quiet until you get better fans?

At this point, I'm just looking around, nothing set in stone yet, but I possibly want to switch to an AIO to keep the temps of my 2700X in check a bit better. 

Right now I'm using a €40 Gelid Phantom Black, which does a great job cooling the 2700X at 4GHz, but under sustained loads like handbrake and rendering in premiere

temps go as high as 90c.

Worth noting is that I'm using a Define R5 with the top exhaust closed (this needs to stay this way for noise reasons) and I'm using a blower cooler on my 1070Ti to keep

circulating heat in the case to a minimum. Two 120mm fractal intake fans, one outtake. I might open up the side panel to add a fan there, but again, I want to keep noise

down as much as possible.

So yeah, an AIO is possibly the solution here. I'm entirely new to water cooling so I'm not 100% sure which AIOs are recommended these days for such a CPU. I intend to front

mount it. I'm not looking for super high end coolers, it's not THAT big of a deal to me right now as in games the CPU stays under 80 no problem with fan speeds set to low/medium.

So far I've been looking at the following AIOs:

- Corsair H100x

- BeQuiet Silent Loop 240

- Fractal Celsius S24

- Arctic Freezer 240

- CM MasterLiquid Pro 240

But it's proven tough finding proper comparisons about price/performance and noise levels between all of these. Perhaps some people here can shed some light on which ones

to stay away from.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

I would probably stay away from the MasterLiquid lineup. They are the lower quality units.

The H100 from Corsair are very good coolers. They are quiet and cool very well.

I was eyeballing the H100i at first but then noticed it was rather old and lacked AM4 support. The H100x should be good then (seems super new)?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I would recommende the BeQuiet and Corsair ones out of these.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I was eyeballing the H100i at first but then noticed it was rather old and lacked AM4 support. The H100x should be good then (seems super new)?

If it has the bracket and you're happy with it, sure.

hi.

9 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

If it has the bracket and you're happy with it, sure.

Aight. It is the cheapest out of the bunch so that's a pro. This review does seem to suggest it's not that quiet, though. Thanks for the input though :) 

Shouldn't 280 AIOs be a bit quiter while delivering same performance? 

Corsair makes pretty solid AIOs, but stock fans leave a bit to be desired.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

3 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Shouldn't 280 AIOs be a bit quiter while delivering same performance? 

Corsair makes pretty solid AIOs, but stock fans leave a bit to be desired.

I'm having some trouble figuring out whether a 280 will even fit in the front. I actually use an optical drive in my rig still, so I can only remove the HDD cages. 240 will fit for sure, so that's why I initially selected that. 

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm having some trouble figuring out whether a 280 will even fit in the front. I actually use an optical drive in my rig still, so I can only remove the HDD cages. 240 will fit for sure, so that's why I initially selected that. 

After little bit of digging, it should fit without removing the optical drive... More or less:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/273162-will-280mm-rad-fit-in-front-of-define-r5-wo-removing-optical-drives/

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

1 hour ago, Quadriplegic said:

After little bit of digging, it should fit without removing the optical drive... More or less:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/273162-will-280mm-rad-fit-in-front-of-define-r5-wo-removing-optical-drives/

Ah, thanks!

280s are a bit harder to find over here it seems. The only real contenders I see are the Corsair H115i and H110i, or if I stretch my target price a bit maybe the silent loop 280. That's already at a point where I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. I mean, the Arctic Freezer 240 is a killer deal at roughly €90 and comes with 4 fans, where the silent loop 280 is like €130 and I'd probably have to get two extra fans for that. Hmm...

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Ah, thanks!

H115i is pretty much as good as AIOs get. You could probably tamper with profiles to keep it quiet until you get better fans?

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

11 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Sounds like a plan, yes. It's not like I can't afford it, it's just a lot to spend at once. Better do it right I suppose ^_^. I'll give the H115 a whirl and see what it's like. Thanks again!