Which psu? Tier 2 or 3 (gaming pc)

Manu_1020

Hello...

i have bought some components for my pc but yet i havent decided  which psu

i was thinking in the Corsair CX-M 650w? What do u think guys, is a tier 3 psu enough to carry that PC?

Intel i5 8400 and gtx evga 1070 ti ftw2 with ssd and one 1tb hdd. 

Maybe in the future i will overcloack my gpu (but only if it is requieres, talking about next gen games)

Thanks!

Yeah that is a good enough psu (if it has a gray label, not green)

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah that is a good enough psu (if it has a gray label, not green)

Yes. The new version i will be buying the 650 so its impossible to confuse becasue there is no green version with 650w.

Anyway, im open to hear other thoughts

4 minutes ago, Manu_1020 said:

Yes. The new version i will be buying the 650 so its impossible to confuse becasue there is no green version with 650w.

Tier 3 psus are perfectly good. 650w should be plentyful for 1070 overclocking, im usimg rm650i with a 1080ti and it works fine.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

12 minutes ago, Manu_1020 said:

Hello...

i have bought some components for my pc but yet i havent decided  which psu

i was thinking in the Corsair CX-M 650w? What do u think guys, is a tier 3 psu enough to carry that PC?

Intel i5 8400 and gtx evga 1070 ti ftw2 with ssd and one 1tb hdd. 

Maybe in the future i will overcloack my gpu (but only if it is requieres, talking about next gen games)

Thanks!

That should be enough I'd say. Though my style is always to get a psu that is slightly more then I need. This allows for better upgrade potential in the future without worrying. For example most of the 1070s  on the market ask for a 500W I would respond to that demand by going with a 750W. It may be slight overkill for the moment, but will allow me to have a lot more flexibility. I would also say if you do not mind paying the slightly higher price point for Corsair which it seams you are ok with you'll be better off. The higher quality the psu the lower odds of failures that can ruin pretty much everything else in your rig. In short if your budget allows for a 500W then you should be fine, but if you got wiggle room go for the 750W You'll be glad you did later.

20 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

That should be enough I'd say. Though my style is always to get a psu that is slightly more then I need. This allows for better upgrade potential in the future without worrying. For example most of the 1070s  on the market ask for a 500W I would respond to that demand by going with a 750W. It may be slight overkill for the moment, but will allow me to have a lot more flexibility. I would also say if you do not mind paying the slightly higher price point for Corsair which it seams you are ok with you'll be better off. The higher quality the psu the lower odds of failures that can ruin pretty much everything else in your rig. In short if your budget allows for a 500W then you should be fine, but if you got wiggle room go for the 750W You'll be glad you did later.

I will consider the 750w

Talking in terms of security, a 2016  middle-high psu quality can still ruin other components becasue of the malfunctioning of the psu? (Corsair 650/750w) 

8 minutes ago, Manu_1020 said:

I will consider the 750w

Talking in terms of security, a 2016  middle-high psu quality can still ruin other components becasue of the malfunctioning of the psu? (Corsair 650/750w) 

A 450W PSU would be okay (albeit very close).  There's no need to go for a 750W one.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

A 450W PSU would be okay.  There's no need to go for a 750W one.

In case i pick the 450, what tier are we talking about? 3?? 2??

1 minute ago, Manu_1020 said:

I will consider the 750w

Yep in the end it all comes down to how far ahead your looking, and what you like to do. I do not like upgrading my psu, cpu, and memory very often unless the need arrises, or there is a clear cut reason. So I often spend more upfront for this reason.Best of luck.

2 hours ago, Manu_1020 said:

In case i pick the 450, what tier are we talking about? 3?? 2??

I'm not recommending it, I'm just saying that getting a 750W one is a waste of money.  As long as it's tier 3 or higher you should be fine.  550W or higher will give you plenty of wiggle room.

Forget that, even a 450W one would be plenty.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

You're running a 1070 Ti, not a Vega or CF Vega, unlike what most people in this thread seem to think. Even assuming you're overclocking, a good 450W is plenty. Instead of getting a budget 650W unit, get a better 45/W PSU, like the Formula 450W. 

Also, don't buy the PC piece by piece over time, buy all the parts at once. 

2 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

For example most of the 1070s  on the market ask for a 500W I would respond to that demand by going with a 750W.

500W is assuming the worst case scenario by the manufacturer. Meaning a bottom of the barrel garbage PSU. Going above 500W is just stupid and a waste of money. Unless someone likes wasting money and likes getting loud PSUs, there's not really a reason to get an overkill PSU. 

It may be slight overkill for the moment, but will allow me to have a lot more flexibility

Not slightly overkill, but we'll more than twice as much as the system will draw. 

As for upgrades, which I assume you mean by flexibility, a good 550W is plenty for running an overclocked 1080 Ti. 

I would also say if you do not mind paying the slightly higher price point for Corsair which it seams you are ok with you'll be better off

Corsair units aren't inherently better than units with other stickers on them. The orange liable VS, for example, is crap. 

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

A 450W PSU would be okay (albeit very close).  There's no need to go for a 750W one.

It would be "close" if OP were running Vega with an HEDT system. But they're not. They're running a 1070 Ti and an 8400. This is the wall power draw with a 7820X system using a platinum efficiency PSU. 

Spoiler

90110.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19

Approximating the 1070 Ti up to the 1080 and the 8400 to the 7820X, and they're still running at under 300W from the PSU. 

:)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You're running a 1070 Ti, not a Vega or CF Vega, unlike what most people in this thread seem to think. Even assuming you're overclocking, a good 450W is plenty. Instead of getting a budget 650W unit, get a better 45/W PSU, like the Formula 450W. 

Also, don't buy the PC piece by piece over time, buy all the parts at once. 

500W is assuming the worst case scenario by the manufacturer. Meaning a bottom of the barrel garbage PSU. Going above 500W is just stupid and a waste of money. Unless someone likes wasting money and likes getting loud PSUs, there's not really a reason to get an overkill PSU. 

Not slightly overkill, but we'll more than twice as much as the system will draw. 

As for upgrades, which I assume you mean by flexibility, a good 550W is plenty for running an overclocked 1080 Ti. 

Corsair units aren't inherently better than units with other stickers on them. The orange liable VS, for example, is crap. 

It would be "close" if OP were running Vega with an HEDT system. But they're not. They're running a 1070 Ti and an 8400. This is the wall power draw with a 7820X system using a platinum efficiency PSU. 

Hide contents

90110.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19

Approximating the 1070 Ti up to the 1080 and the 8400 to the 7820X, and they're still running at under 300W from the PSU. 

Oops, I was thinking 1080 Ti, not 1070 Ti.

A 1070 Ti is more or less a GTX 1080. You could OC that unit comfortably with an OC'd 8700K on a 550W PSU and have plenty of room to spare, wager a bet of maybe 350W of power draw.

A Corsair CX650M isn't really what you want considering it's price point. An EVGA 550G2/G3 can often be found on sale for less than that, and look around for sales on the Corsair TXM.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

10 hours ago, Manu_1020 said:

Many PSUs that are tier 3 have sleeve bearing fans which have reduced lifespans specially at high temperatures and vertical mounting positions so tier 1 and 2 is what I'd recommend

EVGA 550G2 and other tier 1/2 PSUs are running for about $40-60 right now so...

1 hour ago, 17030644 said:

Many PSUs that are tier 3 have sleeve bearing fans which have reduced lifespans specially at high temperatures and vertical mounting positions so tier 1 and 2 is what I'd recommend

EVGA 550G2 and other tier 1/2 PSUs are running for about $40-60 right now so...

Im from Argentina(prices are not like usa)... the chepear i can find and its accord to the tier list, is the corsair CX-M 550W. Its necessary to spend more? 

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A 1070 Ti is more or less a GTX 1080. You could OC that unit comfortably with an OC'd 8700K on a 550W PSU and have plenty of room to spare, wager a bet of maybe 350W of power draw.

A Corsair CX650M isn't really what you want considering it's price point. An EVGA 550G2/G3 can often be found on sale for less than that, and look around for sales on the Corsair TXM.

Im from Argentina(prices are not like usa)... the chepear i can find and its accord to the tier list, is the corsair CX-M 550W. Its necessary to spend more? 

3 hours ago, Manu_1020 said:

It's not really necessary and the CXM is a decent unit. 

As said before, again, a CX450M would be fine for your system. Your PC will draw less than 250W under load.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||