Working on Carpet

Jayden

basicaly i have no other area other than a room that is carpeted to do pc work at the moment. trying to read up on and understand Electrostatic Discharge as much as possible but not long out of hospital and just need it put simply for me. i basicaly want to know if there is anything inexpensive i can get from say my local hardware store to lay down over the carpet. i used to have a huge floor mat that cost me about 2,000NZD's wich was anti-static but lost it in a house fire recently. thanks for your information guys, will be much appreciated

I think plastic laminated sheets are good? 

I am not a builder though... and I am brain ded

A big bit of cardboard. You should be able to get it for free if you ask a shop that sells large items, as they'll likely have the box it came in out back.

I've built 3 servers on carpet, as long as you're careful you'll be fine.

thanks 4 the replys, i just dont find carpet ideal because i do lots of work for buisnesses around town and the last thing i want to do is damage stuff that isnt mine. i have worked on carpet many times aswell and been fine just more cautious now that lots of my work is for people i dont want to muck around.

Just get a sheet of partical board, or cardboard. i ran a pc in no case ontop of carpet using a piece of wood to separate it, so any should do. 

Just be careful. I've upgraded and built my computer about 4 times on carpet. As long as you ground yourself out you should be ok.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Do not put a piece of cardboard on the ground unless its big enough not be be floating along as you work over it as if its too small you'll move it and get a charge on it. Best to just leave it alone and make sure you use a wrist strap thats properly grounded (since its for work or others). If it was your own yea, roll the dice and just work, but to cover your a$$ always work with an antistatic wrist strap. (the $ is for the money you'll have to spend to replace anyone's system)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You don't need to spend anything, just discharge yourself on your case (preferably a bare metal area) and remember not to drag your feet along the carpet :P

Do that and you should be good

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Parts will only destruct if you find a way to short them between the charges, so don't use your van de graaf machine as a workbench whilst wearing nylon jimjams.

And just remember:   you can't die in a lightning storm if you run around in a wet paddock bare foot holding a large sheet of corrugated iron over your head!

Hope this helps some. :wacko:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I've worked on carpet a lot of times but yeah to be safe I guess upon a table or on some cardboard could be ideal. Good luck with it mate!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

If it's very humid where you are, then there is almost no risk of static charge damaging your components.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 4690K 4.4GHz | Galax GTX970 EX OC Black 1537/3899MHz | ASUS Z97M Plus | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury  | Seasonic M12II 620 Evo | Corsair 350 | Intel 535 120GB | 1TB WD Blue

Could just work outside if its dry, but if your careful it should be fine

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I just used case box to work on carpet. A really furry carpet.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv