I've lost my faith in Linus

Rewatching OG Scrapyard Wars for nostalgia reasons, and I discovered this : 

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.496654a7ab16e99679790b626e8997da.PNG

Gaming rig : i5 6600k | EVGA 1070 FTW | 16Go DDR4 HyperX Fury | Intel 600p - WD Black

Laptop : Macbook 2017

Home server : AMD A10 7700k | 2*2TB unraid array + 250GB ssd cache

5 minutes ago, Ningols1598 said:

Rewatching OG Scrapyard Wars for nostalgia reasons, and I discovered this :

You discovered how to post pictures here?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't get it.

Also this is more of a Status Update.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

You discovered how to post pictures here?

Motherboard on anti-static bag

Gaming rig : i5 6600k | EVGA 1070 FTW | 16Go DDR4 HyperX Fury | Intel 600p - WD Black

Laptop : Macbook 2017

Home server : AMD A10 7700k | 2*2TB unraid array + 250GB ssd cache

Just now, Ningols1598 said:

And?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

That? That's a misconception. The outside of the bag isn't conductive nor builds up static.

I am confusion

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Seen many people build a PC like that intentionally, and I've done it myself. What's wrong with putting parts together on an antistatic bag?

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

2 minutes ago, Ningols1598 said:

What's wrong with that exactly?

If that simple thing was enough for you to question your faith in someone then there are other problems here

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Another myth on which people get too emotional over. It doesnt matter if you put the motherboard on the antistatic bag, or on the table, or on the cardboard box. No difference

I've done all of those. Most of the time I just toss it all on my bed and build it there.

2 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

Seen many people build a PC like that intentionally, and I've done it myself. What's wrong with putting parts together on an antistatic bag?

I use that or the box it comes in and haven't fried a motherboard to date. Hell I even put on old pc back together on a piece of sheet metal to see what would happen. Nothing happened.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

1 minute ago, DaJakerBoss said:

I use that or the box it comes in and haven't fried a motherboard to date. Hell I even put on old pc back together on a piece of sheet metal to see what would happen. Nothing happened.

I've pushed the boundaries and put boards on beds & carpet. Never killed anything by doing it. (Not that it's a habbit.)

I don't have the tools to prove there's no static but I can prove its non-conductive.

Spoiler

Even stabbed them all the way through.

IMAG0301.thumb.jpg.4d6ab2dc0df5acc0ce9f25148d2fa194.jpg

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't have the tools to prove there's no static but I can prove its non-conductive.

Reveal hidden contents

Even stabbed them all the way through.

IMAG0301.thumb.jpg.4d6ab2dc0df5acc0ce9f25148d2fa194.jpg

The old ones were conductive cause they had a metallic film on the outside*, but those aren't present nowadays

*Refer to the video I linked

While some anti static bags(like the silver ones) are slightly conductive on the outside (to create a Faraday cage on the inside), it is nowhere near conductive enough to actually damage anything.
That and they normally put anti static agent on the inside and the outside now to reduce the conductivity to next to nothing, making this a moot point.

This may have been an issue in the far past, but it isn't now.

Also this:
https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/11/14/are-anti-static-bags-conductive-whats-the-difference-between-anti-static-and-static-shielding-bags/#Are_Static_Dissipative_Bags_Conductive

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

While some anti static bags(like the silver ones) are slightly conductive on the outside (to create a Faraday cage on the inside), it is nowhere near conductive enough to actually damage anything.
That and they normally put anti static agent on the inside and the outside now to reduce the conductivity to next to nothing, making this a moot point.

This may have been an issue in the far past, but it isn't now.

Also this:
https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/11/14/are-anti-static-bags-conductive-whats-the-difference-between-anti-static-and-static-shielding-bags/#Are_Static_Dissipative_Bags_Conductive

Yep..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_bag

Conductive antistatic bags are manufactured with a layer of conductive metal, often aluminum,[3] and a dielectric layer of plastic[2] covered in a static dissipative coating.[6] This forms both a shield and a non-conductive barrier, shielding the contents from static charge via the Faraday cage effect. 

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

21 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

On most anti-static bags, the inside protects against static although the outside does not and sometimes can cause your electronics to be damaged if they are placed on the outside of the bag as the point that placing and working on electronic hardware on top (the outside) of an antistatic bag will not protect against damaged hardware from static electricity. Linus has advised to not do this in at least one of his videos although the bag used in this video may be a special one which is designed to protect on both sides (maybe modified) or because it was an option which would be better than other ones that he had available, using some of the budgets on anti-static hardware would not be a good idea because it is a building competition.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

-Thread cleaned and locked-

Material is better suited as a status update.

Keep your comments respectful.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!