The legendary Router

IBM_THINKPAD_R51

Hello everyone, so i have the Legendary (lol) Linksys WRT54G V3.1 in its complete stock config.

I have read sites like these and realized their popularity and how great and popular they are:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/07/the-wrt54gl-a-54mbps-router-from-2005-still-makes-millions-for-linksys/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/linksys-wrt56gl-router/

So now i want to do something with it, but i dont want to just reload it with DDwrt and leave it sitting...any ideas? 

31 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

So now i want to do something with it, but i dont want to just reload it with DDwrt and leave it sitting

So... You want to do nothing then?
If you don't install DD-WRT or other firmwares like it, you're stuck with the outdated firmware along with the outdated hardware.
If your home network speed is not faster than G speed(54 Mbps) and you don't share files between devices over your network, you could use it as an extra access point for better wifi coverage.

Or just recycle it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

14 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

So... You want to do nothing then?
If you don't install DD-WRT or other firmwares like it, you're stuck with the outdated firmware along with the outdated hardware.
If your home network speed is not faster than G speed(54 Mbps) and you don't share files between devices over your network, you could use it as an extra access point for better wifi coverage.

Or just recycle it.

im open to reloading it, just not letting it sit with just 2-3 things connected to it for the rest of its life. Can i use it to extend the rang of my other router?

9 hours ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Can i use it to extend the rang of my other router?

That should be possible yes.
But again, limited to G speed.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 hours ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

im open to reloading it, just not letting it sit with just 2-3 things connected to it for the rest of its life. Can i use it to extend the rang of my other router?

Here's the deal. The WRT54G was popular because it was 3rd party firmware capable. I had one of the original ones back in the day. But it runs on the old wireless G standard and thats not going to have the speed, Penetration power or range of any of the new wireless AC routers. So yeah you can use it to extend the range of your network, but is 54 Mbps enough? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I seem to recall the stock firmware being pretty limited, DD-WRT or other third party firmware is really your best bet for additional features.

As per others I wouldn't bother with G, it's 2018 bro.  Keep in mind the WRT54G debuted like 16 years ago.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C