Any foreseeable way to get MS to keep GFWL?

UnderADyingSun

Gaw, I have to ask. It's bugging the crap out of me that they're ending the service. 

I can't help but think this can all be attributed to the steam bro team. The incessant advocates for the one and only outcrying to no end about how GFWL sucks. Guess what, steam sucks absent the sales. There's nothing overtly thrilling about it, it's features are still clunky and if I could I'd do without. 

Let me tell you, I have a hard time replaying any game on pc, let alone playing it in any structured/specific way due to the fact that there's barely any reward system. I like achievements, I inevitably grew fond of them through the course of maintaining an 8 plus year live account ( starting w/ the original ). It added to the value of video games, it helped justify a new purchase and certainly added to the value of the playing experience. 

On another note, GFWL allows me to sign into my live account and communicate with friends on the fly in virtually the exact same way as on my xbox. That furthers the social experience, something I've found to be sorely lacking on PC. It's just sterile on the pc front. Sure I can organize in teamspeak with a few friends, but most people are just disinterested and have terrible social habits. Gaming alone is like drinking alone, you just don't do it ( unless it's dead space )! Console gamings habits were ALWAYS to jump into a full 8 man party, regardless of who was playing what, to shoot the shizz and laugh etc... 

I'm just communicating how inherently depressing it is, or should be, for those pc gamers, those peeps that switched platforms, who will now be eventually rendered deprived. 

Regardless of petition, I'm sure MS doesn't really care. I'd just like this minority to have a face to punch or something. Whilst the PC offers a complete experience for me now, it eventually won't and I'll probably have to pick up an xbox one in tandem. LAME!

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Oh god no, Games For Windows Live is pretty much the worst thing that happened to PC Gaming.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Gaw, I have to ask. It's bugging the crap out of me that they're ending the service. 

I can't help but think this can all be attributed to the steam bro team. The incessant advocates for the one and only outcrying to no end about how GFWL sucks. Guess what, steam sucks absent the sales. There's nothing overtly thrilling about it, it's features are still clunky and if I could I'd do without. 

Let me tell you, I have a hard time replaying any game on pc, let alone playing it in any structured/specific way due to the fact that there's barely any reward system. I like achievements, I inevitably grew fond of them through the course of maintaining an 8 plus year live account ( starting w/ the original ). It added to the value of video games, it helped justify a new purchase and certainly added to the value of the playing experience. 

On another note, GFWL allows me to sign into my live account and communicate with friends on the fly in virtually the exact same way as on my xbox. That furthers the social experience, something I've found to be sorely lacking on PC. It's just sterile on the pc front. Sure I can organize in teamspeak with a few friends, but most people are just disinterested and have terrible social habits. Gaming alone is like drinking alone, you just don't do it ( unless it's dead space )! Console gamings habits were ALWAYS to jump into a full 8 man party, regardless of who was playing what, to shoot the shizz and laugh etc... 

excuse me if I prefer to not pay $5 a month to play when I can already do that for FREE on any other services.

and excuse me wat, you can communicate with other services (skype, raidcall, etc.), and steam also works to freaking talk to people

Tbh I see what you mean, hopefully Steam can make their voice chat system a bit easier to use, it already is in big picture mode so it being like that on SteamOS if you and all your buddies use SteamOS then there should be a problem :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Shortly said, no. There will not be ways to keep GFWL in the air. It is going to be cancelled and many people will be happy about it.

It sucks for you, but they can't make everyone happy.

I love Steam and I personally think that there should be one universal, social platform for people to communicate in games etc.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I'm just communicating how inherently depressing it is, or should be, for those pc gamers, those peeps that switched platforms, who will now be eventually rendered deprived. 

Regardless of petition, I'm sure MS doesn't really care. I'd just like this minority to have a face to punch or something. Whilst the PC offers a complete experience for me now, it eventually won't and I'll probably have to pick up an xbox one in tandem. LAME!

"Achievements" are worthless, they are bragging rights, yes. But do you really get anything from collecting them?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Will I at least be able to play darksouls online still? Even though its a ghost town....

Steam and origins ID: Erebus305

Oh god no, Games For Windows Live is pretty much the worst thing that happened to PC Gaming.

Elaborate please. Issues with the games themselves aside which has nothing to do with this service. 

excuse me if I prefer to not pay $5 a month to play when I can already do that for FREE on any other services.

and excuse me wat, you can communicate with other services (skype, raidcall, etc.), and steam also works to freaking talk to people

PC gamers justify stupid amounts of money on their systems, and most people buy 3 or 12 months at discount. If you're particularly savvy you can pick out great deals and get a year for 30 bucks. That money is of no consequence, and if you factor in what I talked about before I think it's worth it. I can see not wanting to support microsoft, but you've already voted man. You spent a sum on an OS as did we all.  Also, I realize you can cross communicate but guess what. I have to open Ubi, Ea, and Steam's service just to track friends or message them. It's a hassle, albeit still stupidly easy, and that footwork is unnecessary. Plus I'm talking about communicating with my console bound friends. 

Tbh I see what you mean, hopefully Steam can make their voice chat system a bit easier to use, it already is in big picture mode so it being like that on SteamOS if you and all your buddies use SteamOS then there should be a problem :P

This would be great! I do like the call service, that annoying phone ring sure get's peoples attention haha

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Elaborate please. Issues with the games themselves aside which has nothing to do with this service. 

PC gamers justify stupid amounts of money on their systems, and most people buy 3 or 12 months at discount. If you're particularly savvy you can pick out great deals and get a year for 30 bucks. That money is of no consequence, and if you factor in what I talked about before I think it's worth it. I can see not wanting to support microsoft, but you've already voted man. You spent a sum on an OS as did we all.  Also, I realize you can cross communicate but guess what. I have to open Ubi, Ea, and Steam's service just to track friends or message them. It's a hassle, albeit still stupidly easy, and that footwork is unnecessary. Plus I'm talking about communicating with my console bound friends. 

This would be great! I do like the call service, that annoying phone ring sure get's peoples attention haha

It is because of Games for Windows Live that I cannot play Grand Theft Auto IV on my PC. I run Windows 8.1 Pro and GFWL is known for having a lot of issues with games not working because of the incompatibility of the service.

And may I ask, how hard of a Microsoft fanboy, console fanboy and Valve hater are you?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

so what? we PC gamers enjoy deals, I got my higher valued system at a cheaper price. you also have to realize you are pumping money in a system for a long time. If you were playing on PC for 8 years with the xbox 360 generation, you could easily have saved $480. That's a lot of games on steam sales.

You can get the "smart glass" app for your phone and message people on xbox as if you were on your xbox....

android xbox 360 glass: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.smartglass

android xbox one glass https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.xboxone.smartglass

ios 360 glass: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbox-smartglass/id480914036?mt=8

ios one glass: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbox-one-smartglass/id736179781?mt=8

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

"Achievements" are worthless, they are bragging rights, yes. But do you really get anything from collecting them?

To quickly illustrate. Take dishonored for example, I did my first playthrough without killing anyone, being seen, using any upgrades, on the hardest difficulty and was rewarded respectively. Further, that was the most fun playthrough I'd had in that game and it would have otherwise eluded me. And yea it is a little about bragging rights, but it also serves as a positive reminder of what you've accomplished. They usually offer countless reasons and ways to replay games, especially. 

Will I at least be able to play darksouls online still? Even though its a ghost town....

Dude I have no clue, but ds 2 should be out by then. I know they started porting games, and that may be one of them. If the server offerings are MS based, yea expect it to be gone. 

It is because of Games for Windows Live that I cannot play Grand Theft Auto IV on my PC. I run Windows 8.1 Pro and GFWL is known for having a lot of issues with games not working because of the incompatibility of the service.

And may I ask, how hard of a Microsoft fanboy, console fanboy and Valve hater are you?

Hmm, I'm buying Gta 4 complete today but I'm certain there are fixes or workarounds. Adding, the game is very old and pre dates 8.1. It's likely barely populated with respect to online services so I understand why they wouldn't make fixing this a priority especially if it's a complicated affair. If windows 7 was your xbox 360 than xbox one is your windows 8.1. We can be a little patient waiting for backwards compatibility right?

If microsoft was a woman I'd punch her and sleep with her. Mainly because she's the only female on this island that rates a 9  and she f in talks to much. Valve is the fat chick who lost weight and gained some beauty. She's cheap, she's easy but she bears too much scar tissue. Sum it up? Idk, was barely paying attention. I like my PC, but the "gaming" experience on console is better. And btw, don't act like you haven't been hanging on the MS tit your whole life. 

To quickly illustrate. Take dishonored for example, I did my first playthrough without killing anyone, being seen, using any upgrades, on the hardest difficulty and was rewarded respectively. Further, that was the most fun playthrough I'd had in that game and it would have otherwise eluded me. And yea it is a little about bragging rights, but it also serves as a positive reminder of what you've accomplished. They usually offer countless reasons and ways to replay games, especially. 

Dude I have no clue, but ds 2 should be out by then. I know they started porting games, and that may be one of them. If the server offerings are MS based, yea expect it to be gone. 

Hmm, I'm buying Gta 4 complete today but I'm certain there are fixes or workarounds. Adding, the game is very old and pre dates 8.1. It's likely barely populated with respect to online services so I understand why they wouldn't make fixing this a priority especially if it's a complicated affair. If windows 7 was your xbox 360 than xbox one is your windows 8.1. We can be a little patient waiting for backwards compatibility right?

If microsoft was a woman I'd punch her and sleep with her. Mainly because she's the only female on this island that rates a 9  and she f in talks to much. Valve is the fat chick who lost weight and gained some beauty. She's cheap, she's easy but she bears too much scar tissue. Sum it up? Idk, was barely paying attention. I like my PC, but the "gaming" experience on console is better. And btw, don't act like you haven't been hanging on the MS tit your whole life. 

Well, I haven't been hanging on the MS tit for all my life. Most of my computing was Macintosh. I am not an Apple fanboy by the way. Some of what Microsoft does is good. I use Windows because it has the widest range of compatibility in games and programs of any operating system. But, security vulnerabilities, RROD and other miscellaneous issues have made me grow tired of their shit. Steam, on the other hand, has never really given me issues. For fucks sake, Origin never really game me issues. But GFWL? Shit. And as for the whole being patient, I think 1.25 years is enough time, people.

so what? we PC gamers enjoy deals, I got my higher valued system at a cheaper price. you also have to realize you are pumping money in a system for a long time. If you were playing on PC for 8 years with the xbox 360 generation, you could easily have saved $480. That's a lot of games on steam sales.

I see what you're saying, but if I were to survive the 360 generation with a PC I would've had to completely upgrade atleast twice. The thing with game savings, well I always bought used ( generally, some notable exceptions for us all presumably ), atleast the console games weren't tied to one account ( thank god MS rolled back on their old DRM policy ) and when I was done I'd always trade back in. Infact, if I beat something within 7 days or hated it I could just get a refund. I miss that system, I wish steam would offer credit or something. Granted, there wouldn't be any monetary gain on their part but i'm sure someone more creative than me could come up with something. 

I see what you're saying, but if I were to survive the 360 generation with a PC I would've had to completely upgrade atleast twice. The thing with game savings, well I always bought used ( generally, some notable exceptions for us all presumably ), atleast the console games weren't tied to one account ( thank god MS rolled back on their old DRM policy ) and when I was done I'd always trade back in. Infact, if I beat something within 7 days or hated it I could just get a refund. I miss that system, I wish steam would offer credit or something. Granted, there wouldn't be any monetary gain on their part but i'm sure someone more creative than me could come up with something.

[/quote

For example, letting you return the game with a slight loss on your end.

...I like my PC, but the "gaming" experience on console is better...

Maybe play on consoles then? I mean, if you love the Live account system and you prefer consoles then why not just play Xbox?

I didn't mind GFWL, but the majority of people dislike it so what can you do.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

This is a joke right? GFWL has cheated me out of $60+, Dark Souls and Dirt 3 to be specific. For someone reason I could log in whilst playing Bioshock but it just wouldn't work on the other 2 games. It was a buggy piece of shit and I'm so happy to see it burn in a fire.

Btw, steam has group voice chat. Add the people you're playing with and invite them, easy. I do it on DayZ all the time. I start by myself and usually end up with 5 or more people in voice chat with me.