Samsung unveils 8Gb LPDDR4 mobile DRAM, could lead to 4GB smartphones

mgsstar

Mobile memory technology has taken a major leap forward with today's announcement of 8-gigabit low-profile double-data-rate 4 (LPDDR4) mobile DRAM chips from Samsung. The new DRAM chips offer the ability to pack 1GB on a single die, which will most likely lead to many upcoming next-gen smartphones featuring 4GB of RAM.

34549_1_samsung_unveils_8gb_lpddr4_mobil

Samsung says that the new LPDDR4 silicon offers improved efficiency which results in up to 40-percent less power consumption than previously seen. This is possible because the chips are designed to run at just 1.1 volts each. The chips are designed on a 20nm process, which shrinks the package small enough to fit 1GB onto a single chip. With Qualcomm releasing a 64-bit mobile processor next year, and Apple's 64-bit A7 already on the market we could see a major jump in the amount of RAM smartphones house in 2014 and 2015.

"This next-generation LPDDR4 DRAM will contribute significantly to faster growth of the global mobile DRAM market, which will soon comprise the largest share of the entire DRAM market," said Young-Hyun Jun, executive vice president, memory sales & marketing, Samsung Electronics. "We will continue introducing the most advanced mobile DRAM one step ahead of the rest of the industry so that global OEMs can launch innovative mobile devices with exceptional user convenience in the timeliest manner."

Source:http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34549/samsung-unveils-8gb-lpddr4-mobile-dram-could-lead-to-4gb-smartphones/index.html

I have a Nexus 7 2012 version which has 1GB of ram and I never use it up. It would need alot of applications open to fill it up and I don't think 64bit processors won't take alot of ram. Great that Samsung is developing to create great hardware for their own smartphones.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

MY PC has 3gb of ram and I can still do more than a phone can. Why do they need 4gb of ram. I just don't even.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You never use 1GB of RAM? :o

I have 1GB on my S3 and it's almost enough.2GB would fix it.

Well,now I'm waiting for x86 smartphones!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yea lol guess I am not running enough programs at the same time. :D

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Even though the current technology is not being fully utilized all the time, I'm glad that things are still improving for phones.

There already are x86 smartphones. Android supports x86 since 3.0 and Intel makes x86 chips. News flash.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

There already are x86 smartphones. Android supports x86 since 3.0 and Intel makes x86 chips. News flash.

I know.I'm waiting for it to be more widely-adopted.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

You mean like full linux on a phone?

Spoiler

4gb of RAM on phones should be fine for now.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

why? x86 still cannot support more than 4gb of ram? wait for x64

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

why? x86 still cannot support more than 4gb of ram? wait for x64

If I'm right x64 is just an extension of the x86 architecture(8086 instruction set).It's pretty obvious that the new chips will be 64 bit as it's pretty much a standard now.

MY PC has 3gb of ram and I can still do more than a phone can. Why do they need 4gb of ram. I just don't even.

How often does your computer get turned off compared to your phone?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

wouldnt this be a lot better for the tablet market [especially the 'pro user on the go' tablets] than the smart phone market?

Just a guy with a beard

wouldnt this be a lot better for the tablet market [especially the 'pro user on the go' tablets] than the smart phone market?

Depends on the form factor of the phone. If it's a Galaxy Note device, it makes perfect sense. They're designed with multitasking in mind, like actually having 2 running programs on the screen at once.

I think it'll make it easier for companies to get more out of their phablets.

Which, in a way sucks. Phones are already getting too big.

I love the advancement. It's supposed to be 50% faster and use 40% less power. Sure RAM doesn't use a ton, but any power savings is better than nothing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2014-2015 phones will get DX11 support.

That much Ram would actually allow "Real" games on phones.

RTX2070OC 

Depends on the form factor of the phone. If it's a Galaxy Note device, it makes perfect sense. They're designed with multitasking in mind, like actually having 2 running programs on the screen at once.

I think it'll make it easier for companies to get more out of their phablets.

Which, in a way sucks. Phones are already getting too big.

I love the advancement. It's supposed to be 50% faster and use 40% less power. Sure RAM doesn't use a ton, but any power savings is better than nothing.

all good points

Just a guy with a beard

Why? x86 is just an inefficient ARM architecture and eventually ARM chips will exceed the fastest chips intel can make on the current x86 architecture.

DDR4 will consume less power than the current DDR3. Even if we don't need 4GB right now, the lower power consumption is always best.
Also, Bill Gates said no one will ever want more than 64KB....

Why? x86 is just an inefficient ARM architecture and eventually ARM chips will exceed the fastest chips intel can make on the current x86 architecture.

Cause I want full Windows 8 or Ubuntu

I have a Nexus 7 2012 version which has 1GB of ram and I never use it up. It would need alot of applications open to fill it up and I don't think 64bit processors won't take alot of ram.

That's because your Nexus 7 is very quick to expunge data saved in RAM to keep memory free. If you had more RAM it would keep the data for longer which would make the device faster. You can clearly see this with the iPhone. Since it only has 1GB of RAM, it removes websites saved in the cache very quickly. If you open up a few tabs in the browser and leave them for a little while, you will have to reload the whole website again when you switch back to that tab. That's because it deleted that data from the cache. On a phone with more RAM, the site might still have been in the RAM and not have needed to be fetched again. Oh and that's by the way one of the reasons why iOS is very high up in the "mobile web browser market share" statistics, because the iOS users has to fetch more websites than on higher end Android users with more RAM.

You mean like full linux on a phone?

We already have that. It's called Android. We also have other Linux based distros that can run on phones.

There are so many things wrong in this post I don't know where to start...

Also, Bill Gates said no one will ever want more than 64KB....

Well we don't actually have any proof that he said it, and he has denied it himself as well but yeah, I bring that up when people say "we don't need X and Y in phones, they are already powerful enough!". It always boggles my mind how people that are interested in computer hardware can be so against improvements in smartphone hardware. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

even if you were able to use 4gb of ram on a phone, you can only look at 1-2 applications on the screen at once, so whats the point lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

even if you were able to use 4gb of ram on a phone, you can only look at 1-2 applications on the screen at once, so whats the point lol

I wonder why phones are getting bigger and bigger and phablet became a common term now. :)

The same reason you water cooled your system. Because they can.

Higher numbers sell. Perhaps someone will make a program now that needs a lot of RAM to run. Maybe it'll allow them to run processes in the back we didn't think of before.

There always has to be a step forward somewhere for the rest to advance. I'm sure people back in the day thought no one would EVER need more than a 1 GB hard drive.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

People quit comaining about phones not needing it etc it's more performance who cares I'm sure u wouldn't care if it was intel pushing out an affordable 20 core CPU! Who complains about the industry moving forward and getting more powerful I don't get that! I would have a phone with a 16 core and 16gbs of ram even tho I would never utilize it doesn't make me not want it!