Macbook Pro 2018 - Dont listen to the reviewers

I'm not sure why everyone jumping on the bandwaggon to dis the new MacBook Pro. The core i9 isn't the only version available. The i7 is working just fine for me.

I think there are a lot of people who do not get the point of a MacBook. When reviewers have the ability to get this souped-up prosumer item some seem to nitpick from a consumer standpoint.

If you are going to buy a MacBook you are buying it to use for a certain application. If you do not realize what that application is then you to use an ultrabook for heavier workloads as you discover its limits, that's on you.

The 2018 core i9 MacBook Pro is such a specific item for such a specific user base. I feel that reviewers can go out of their way just bash it all the live long day generating clicks for their reviews, and an unintended negative mob mentality to a prosumer platform.

So let's address the thermal throttling issues.

Nobody should or think about buying an i9 MacBook pro because its an i9 MBP. Just use common sense, Six cores with overclocking abilities to 4.8GHz for an ultrabook is silly. I think there is a very destructive ignorant side to the consumer market to go out and say "OK APPLE. HEX CORE 4.8 GHZ HUH? Let's just see about that." Then they go out, buy themselves an i9, wrap the 2018 model idea as just the i9 and torture it until it breaks easily then go around the internet saying "LOOK AT THIS PIECE OF JUNK."

I can't tell you why anyone would need an i9 MacBook Pro. For me, the i7 is just fine for my workload. Web browsing, writing, light programming and photo editing for personal, and educational use.

Conclusion.

If you want a MacBook Pro, Just go out and get one. If you want anything else, just go out and get that. 

Spend your money on something that's going to suit your needs now and for years to come.

2 minutes ago, Jsmith said:

I'm not sure why everyone jumping on the bandwaggon to dis the new MacBook Pro. The core i9 isn't the only version available. The i7 is working just fine for me.

I think there are a lot of people who do not get the point of a MacBook. When reviewers have the ability to get this souped-up prosumer item some seem to nitpick from a consumer standpoint.

If you are going to buy a MacBook you are buying it to use for a certain application. If you do not realize what that application is then you to use an ultrabook for heavier workloads as you discover its limits, that's on you.

The 2018 core i9 MacBook Pro is such a specific item for such a specific user base. I feel that reviewers can go out of their way just bash it all the live long day generating clicks for their reviews, and an unintended negative mob mentality to a prosumer platform.

So let's address the thermal throttling issues.

Nobody should or think about buying an i9 MacBook pro because its an i9 MBP. Just use common sense, Six cores with overclocking abilities to 4.8Ghz for al ultrabook is silly. I think there is a very destructive ignorant side to the consumer market to go out and say "OK APPLE. HEX CORE 4.8 GHZ HUH? Let's just see about that." Then they go out, buy themselves an i9, wrap the 2018 model idea as just the i9 and torture it until it breaks easily then go around the internet saying "LOOK AT THIS PIECE OF JUNK."

I can't tell you why anyone would need an i9 MacBook Pro. For me, the i7 is just fine for my workload. Web browsing, writing, light programming and photo editing for personal, and educational use.

Conclusion.

If you want a MacBook Pro, Just go out and get one. If you want anything else, just go out and get that. 

Spend your money on something that's going to suit your needs now and for years to come.

Nobody should or think about buying an i9 MacBook pro because its an i9 MBP. Just use common sense, Six cores with overclocking abilities to 4.8Ghz for al ultrabook is silly.

If you make a laptop, it should be functional, reliable and tested to ensure that it works.

You don't excuse the fact that it runs unsuitably hot by saying it is because it has an i9, Apple knew what they were getting themselves into when they decided to release it, and should have made the correct and suitable cooling solution to cope with it. There is no excuse.

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Units named after scientists are spelled by capitalizing their first letters, regardless of whether they're preceded by a prefix. So it's GHz, not Ghz.

Problem is that reviewers always get the highest end model to review.

In this case, that top end model shouldn't have existed because clearly it's not designed to run at full load.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Problem is that reviewers always get the highest end model to review.

In this case, that top end model shouldn't have existed because clearly it's not designed to run at full load.

inadvertently this creates or multiplies a toxic environment. 

1 minute ago, Jsmith said:

inadvertently this creates or multiplies a toxic environment. 

Yeah I agree with your point, the i7 and other models are perfectly fine, still better than previous generation.

Most of this negative press is just for clicks, as with almost everything on the internet these days.

But hey, negative exposure is still exposure. It's not like apple cares about it with how much money they make regardless.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That does not make overloaded VRMs any less unacceptable 

Long story short, if the 8950HK is too much for the MBP’s cooling and VRM solution, then it should not have been offered, period.

Also, the 13” MacBook Pro is technically the ultrabook. The 15” models are only that in terms of their size. Ultrabooks usually have U-Series CPUs. You don’t usually see H-series CPUs in them

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I think that these reviews are actually very informative especially towards the "whales" that always buy the highest spec models of Apple tech. They now know that it's not worth getting the latest and "greatest."

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I think that these reviews are actually very informative especially towards the "whales" that always buy the highest spec models of Apple tech. They now know that it's not worth getting the latest and "greatest."

Jon’s already said it.

Best bang-for-buck variant is the i7 8850H variant 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Jon?

Jonathan Morrison 

The part that really just makes me wish apple would go bankrupt is that lack of research, testing, and the "fuck it buy a new one" repair policy over the past couple years. like the 2011 Macbook GPUs,the deceiving "warranty programs", the fact that they design the laptops to run insanely hot so they fail in a couple years, The Bullshit keyboards, the soldered on board Drives, the removal of the life boat connector for said drives, I could go on for days.

With this stupid i9 laptop I know that they are just going to ignore everyone until they decide to either discontinue the model or release revision to in 3-5 years from now and if enough people complain/ threaten class action lawsuits about it in 2 years they will open another warranty programs that covers laptops bought 2 years ago for 6 months and if you don't take advantage of the ultra tiny window or your laptop fails after program ends its your fault. After all the best way to make sure your apple device has the longest lifespan it can have is to just not use it so it can't fail in the first place. The best part is they were bragging about how they fixed the bullshit keyboard while the only laptop they fixed it ($3000 btw) on has an even more catastrophic problem.  

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

1 hour ago, Jsmith said:

Isn't the point of these reviews to demonstrate the capacity of the new model to people that might be interested in buying one?  When you say "that's on you", these reviews are the way for people to know and make responsible decisions. 

Are reviewers bashing it to get views - probably.  But I think these also serve as a warning, especially to people that aren't as technically savvy as you :), to know that this is going to overheat with such as overpowered processor.

BTW, the new 2018 15" MacBook Pro is not available without a 6-core and these are I7s anyway, (I'm not sure why all the reviewers keep saying I9).  

In conclusion, for most use cases, these reviews have shown that you're better off getting one of the older models.  I think this is useful information.  Especially for me, as I am starting a new job and needed a new computer (I prefer PCs, but needed a Mac) and am not very familiar with Apple products.

Edit: I realized that the reviewers keep saying I9.  I'm not sure why.

Thank you for your input Lucas. Yes, I am aware all 2018 models come with 6 cores.

You are right to say some people need to be shown the i9 isn't a good option for the average or heavy consumer. The only way I could say anything further is if we go into "Controlling the media" and enforcing responsibilities of reviewers on a "free" platform. I do not think this is possible in our situation without major corporate intervention, and even then the problem gets more philosophical.

Avoid the keyboard problem by getting a 2018 model, or an older one pre butterfly key(board) design (a friend of mine has happily owned his for many years)

All around I think you have a very solid point.

Corporations have their responsibilities, and the consumers have theirs.