Dual Channel, 4x4g?

Go to solution Solved by DildorTheDecent,
6 minutes ago, Doja said:

So, in Your opinion, 2x8gb 2400mhz is equal to, lesser/greater than 4x4gb 2400mhz?

It's generally safe to assume that 2 DIMMs would be less IMC stress + less issues (overclocking/XMP). You could even save a few watts since your just using 2 DIMMs over 4.

Performance however, there will be next to no impact.

I guess you could make the argument that 4 looks cooler but 2 gives you the option to properly expand the configuration. Maybe even all the way to the limit.

So, one guy told me that my cpu did not support quad channel, so 4x4g would be useless, someone told me the same for my mobo. But on Toms, this guy tells me there will be no issue. I don't know what's real anymore... Help? 

My PC below without the addition 2x4g.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CJvQGG

20180722_075339.jpg

Just get a kit of 2X8GB. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

You can run 4x4 but its normally slower as it won't clock as high. 

Id get 2x8 gb, I see no point of 4 dimms here, just get 2.

also why that old hdd, get a ssd and a newer hdd. 

What are you doing on here? 8700k + 1060 isn't a good gaming combo for the price.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get 2x8 gb, I see no point of 4 dimms here, just get 2.

also why that old hdd, get a ssd and a newer hdd. 

What are you doing on here? 8700k + 1060 isn't a good gaming combo for the price.

I have a 480gb sandisk ssd, the hdd was just picked off a list, did not know the model, and did not think it relevant to my issue in particular. And the rig itself was on sale for $1000, so I figured it was a good foundation. 

The only reason I am considering 4 dimms, is because my pc came with 2x4gb and it would be cheaper to buy 2 more as opposed to switching to 2x8gb

11 minutes ago, Doja said:

Your processor only supports dual channel operation as its highest. You can run a "quad channel" kit/configuration no problem though.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

OP isn't even stressing the IMC with that 2400MHz kit. There's absolutely no reason as to why it won't run 2400MHz across all the DIMMs.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, Doja said:

The only reason I am considering 4 dimms, is because my pc came with 2x4gb and it would be cheaper to buy 2 more as opposed to switching to 2x8gb

That will work fine then. Probably should have told use that eariler that this was already made and your upgrading.

9 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Your processor only supports dual channel operation as its highest. You can run a "quad channel" kit/configuration no problem though.

OP isn't even stressing the IMC with that 2400MHz kit. There's absolutely no reason as to why it won't run 2400MHz across all the DIMMs.

So, in Your opinion, 2x8gb 2400mhz is equal to, lesser/greater than 4x4gb 2400mhz?

6 minutes ago, Doja said:

It's generally safe to assume that 2 DIMMs would be less IMC stress + less issues (overclocking/XMP). You could even save a few watts since your just using 2 DIMMs over 4.

Performance however, there will be next to no impact.

I guess you could make the argument that 4 looks cooler but 2 gives you the option to properly expand the configuration. Maybe even all the way to the limit.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III