Macbook Pro Rant: Turbo boosting, technology that many don't understand

PeterBocan

This will be a little rant of mine on Tech Youtubers who clearly don't understand the whole concept of Turbo boosting (Namely this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ikBgdkbvgI ) in the latest drama of Macbook Pros, so I will write up a little rant in here: 

The whole idea of computing is to crunch the numbers and have the correct result on the table as soon as possible. One of techniques deployed is to raise the clock (frequency) to raise the number of operations/instructions executed within a second. Having a CPU which executes 40-60 % less operations in a second means a lot of lost potential, it's like having a 100mph speed limit on a highway and your car is going only 50 mph because your engine is overheating and you can't push it to the limit because of bad engineering... 

Apologising for Apple or somehow trying to "fix" the unfixable which is clearly a problem with a design of heatsinks and heat dissipation is inexcusable, especially when you are a youtuber who should know a thing or two about the whole idea around computing. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Well the guy also recommended upgrading to 32GB in a laptop that throttles. Yeah thats really futureproof! Like those POS are gonna last when they overheat out of the box. That video is rant worthy. 

The excuse making he does is ridiculous. "All laptops throttle" ok bullshit. Poorly designed junk laptops throttle. Not boosting to max boost speed all the time isnt the same as throttling below base clock.

Someone should send him laptops that dont throttle. Like actual professional mobile workstations.

13 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

This will be a little rant of mine on Tech Youtubers who clearly don't understand the whole concept of Turbo boosting (Namely this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ikBgdkbvgI ) in the latest drama of Macbook Pros, so I will write up a little rant in here: 

The whole idea of computing is to crunch the numbers and have the correct result on the table as soon as possible. One of techniques deployed is to raise the clock (frequency) to raise the number of operations/instructions executed within a second. Having a CPU which executes 40-60 % less operations in a second means a lot of lost potential, it's like having a 100mph speed limit on a highway and your car is going only 50 mph because your engine is overheating and you can't push it to the limit because of bad engineering... 

Apologising for Apple or somehow trying to "fix" the unfixable which is clearly a problem with a design of heatsinks and heat dissipation is inexcusable, especially when you are a youtuber who should know a thing or two about the whole idea around computing. 

Apple's engineering is one of a kind. Their engineers clearly do not understand the laws of thermaldynamics. They are very good at making the products all shiny though. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

The excuse making he does is ridiculous. "All laptops throttle"

The fanboys would say anything to support Apple

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 minutes ago, wasab said:

Apple's engineering is one of a kind. Their engineers clearly do not understand the laws of thermaldynamics. They are very good at making the products all shiny though. 

They put a CPU with 45 W TDP into this thin, one long heatpipe shared with discrete GPU. The CPU will not push over 3 GHz clock which is TWO THIRDS of the TurboBoost's Maximum. Absolutely abhorrent.

15 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

In HPC, that kind of jittery line leads to nondeterministic performance and would be totally unacceptable. 

And wow, same heatpipe for the CPU and GPU. THAT is poor design.

2 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

In HPC, that kind of jittery line leads to nondeterministic performance and would be totally unacceptable. 

And wow, same heatpipe for the CPU and GPU. THAT is poor design.

Yep. The design clearly was given no thought. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, wasab said:

To be fair I have a mac and really don't do anything CPU-intensive. I bought it for university work such as word processing etc. It's a very reliable laptop and its my personal choice. The most I do is play SC2 and I don't have any thermal throttling. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

To be fair I have a mac and really don't do anything CPU-intensive. I bought it for university work such as word processing etc. It's a very reliable laptop and its my personal choice. The most I do is play SC2 and I don't have any thermal throttling. 

Then Core i5 with 15 W TDP is good enough. But you are not buying a professional portable workstation to do Excel spreadsh*ts.

38 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

Then Core i5 with 15 W TDP is good enough. But you are not buying a professional portable workstation to do Excel spreadsh*ts.

I am and I did. I have an i7 6700HQ. It's my money and I like Apple products. 

Okay, so now it's #AllNotebooksThrottle it seems. Apologetics 101... or shall we start flinging shit around?  

EDIT: Water is wet, an i9 which has base clock of 2.9 GHz is faster than an i7 which is 2.2 GHz baseclock. I love these kind of "benchmarks" with clickbaity headlines. 

2 hours ago, PeterBocan said:

Okay, so now it's #AllNotebooksThrottle it seems. Apologetics 101... or shall we start flinging shit around?  

Jonathan in that video is basically moving the goalpost by bringing up Adobe Premiere not being optimized for the Mac to accusing Dave2D of skewing the results when in fact it looks like Jonathan rigged his own results and he failed to address the main issue which is the i9 MBP can't maintain the base clock speed of 2.90 GHz.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Jonathan in that video is basically moving the goalpost by bringing up Adobe Premiere not being optimized for the Mac to accusing Dave2D of skewing the results when in fact it looks like Jonathan rigged his own results and he failed to address the main issue which is the i9 MBP can't maintain the base clock speed of 2.90 GHz.

Exactly, he started with throttling and video transitioned into comparing i7 with i9 performance...Clickbait much?