Is a 1050ti worth it in 2018?

rnhbs

I was thinking of building a PC and since gpu prices are still crazy, my budget is forcing me to buy a 1050ti and i want to know if it is worth it in 2018 and if popular titles like PUBG, Fortnite, Rainbow Six Siege etc. can run on a 1050ti paired with an i5-8400 at over 60fps.

Look for a used 1060 6GB or a used 1070's. Those cards will perform much better with the i5.

hi.

Depends mostly on your graphic settings of the game you're trying to play. Set it low, definately. I have a 1050 ti and its pretty decent.

31 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Look for a used 1060 6GB or a used 1070's. Those cards will perform much better with the i5.

I mean, I have a 1050ti paired with a 8700k for some reasons.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'd say no at this point and especially if you want to stay at that FPS as the years move on. How much are you dedicating towards a GPU purchase?  

And just to add, I wouldn't purchase a used GPU. Some may disagree with me but I'm from the cloth that says it's better safe than sorry. 

16 minutes ago, seoz said:

Of course, just remember to get a 4GB version and it'll be fine.

I dont know if there's a 2gb version of the 1050ti.

22 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

I'd say no at this point and especially if you want to stay at that FPS as the years move on. How much are you dedicating towards a GPU purchase?  

$250AUD-$300AUD (approx. $185USD-$220USD)

2 minutes ago, rnhbs said:

$250AUD-$300AUD (approx. $185USD-$220USD)

or $240CAD-$290CAD

Probably. Depends on your budget, if you can spend a little more do so. The 1050ti is a very good card, though it's a bit outdated. A lot of 10 series cards have been on sale lately too, try to maybe score a 1060 (should run just about any game you throw at it).

Hi, Todd Howard here. Have you considered buying Skyrim for the Nintendo Switch?

4 minutes ago, rnhbs said:

or $240CAD-$290CAD

IMHO I'd wait until you have some more cash in pocket and go with a 1060 or a 1060ti. 

18 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

IMHO I'd wait until you have some more cash in pocket and go with a 1060 or a 1060ti. 

Do you have any specific one to recommend?

25 minutes ago, rnhbs said:

or $240CAD-$290CAD

I don't know what it's like in Australia right now, but I just bought a 1060 3gb for 310 canadian dollars from amazon, very good card and seems to be just over your budget (runs doom 2016 ultra settings 60fps).

Hi, Todd Howard here. Have you considered buying Skyrim for the Nintendo Switch?

1 hour ago, rnhbs said:

I was thinking of building a PC and since gpu prices are still crazy, my budget is forcing me to buy a 1050ti and i want to know if it is worth it in 2018 and if popular titles like PUBG, Fortnite, Rainbow Six Siege etc. can run on a 1050ti paired with an i5-8400 at over 60fps.

As a proud owner of a GTX 950 (purchased at a steal of a deal price of only $125 CAD ish boxing day 2016) I can say that a 1050Ti will totally run games like Fortnite, Rocket League, and Overwatch around 45-60 FPS on medium-high settings at 1440p or on 1080p probably on high or better settings.

However, you really have to decide what you're looking to do when it comes to this, because unless you can snag a 1050Ti at a sick price, it's probably better to go with a 1060 6GB card. PS: there's no such thing as a 1060Ti @farmfowls... at least not yet. :P 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

As a proud owner of a GTX 950 (purchased at a steal of a deal price of only $125 CAD ish boxing day 2016) I can say that a 1050Ti will totally run games like Fortnite, Rocket League, and Overwatch around 45-60 FPS on medium-high settings at 1440p or on 1080p probably on high or better settings.

However, you really have to decide what you're looking to do when it comes to this, because unless you can snag a 1050Ti at a sick price, it's probably better to go with a 1060 6GB card. PS: there's no such thing as a 1060Ti @farmfowls... at least not yet. :P 

Very good point, a lot of this comes down to preferences and what kind of games you want to play. The latest triple a games will have very different graphical demands than indies and older titles.

42 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

Does a 1060ti even exist?

1 minute ago, StarfleetCap said:

Not to my knowledge, but the standard 1060 is an incredible card.

30 minutes ago, kirashi said:

1060 6GB not a 3GB one?

3 minutes ago, rnhbs said:

1060 6GB not a 3GB one?

If you plan on playing more demanding games, or at 2560x1440, yes, otherwise the 3GB is fine too if you can save some money on it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 minutes ago, rnhbs said:

1060 6GB not a 3GB one?

They're both very good cards, I personally have the 3GB. The 6GB will set you back about 100 dollars more I believe, but the Vram is good for modern titles.

22 hours ago, StarfleetCap said:

22 hours ago, londen said:

Not to my knowledge, but the standard 1060 is an incredible card.

22 hours ago, rnhbs said:

1060 6GB not a 3GB one?

Misspoke there. Meant to add the 1070 to that list. 

So 1060, 1070 or 1070ti. 

If you can still get more money, go for a brand new 1060 or 1070. The 1060 6gb will do perfect while the 1070 will go above. Probably on high settings @1080p Both cards do well with triple A games. If you can't wait look for a good second hand deal based on the same cards that I mentioned. If you'll go for a 1050 ti you have to sacrifice your settings and bring them to low. 

If you're willing to go used there are many cheaper options. The 960, 680 and 770 perform basically the same and are much cheaper, and getting a 780 and up will yield basically 1060 performance. 970 and up are big improvements while still being cheaper used. I paid the price of a new 1050ti for a 980ti this week and I'm really happy since I upgraded from a 1050ti in my laptop to my desktop

That's an F in the profile pic

On 14/07/2018 at 4:57 AM, rnhbs said:

Hey I have a 1050ti and an i3 6100, PUBG = 60-70 FPS on low settings (everything on low except textures on ultra because the rest don't make a difference but eat up your fps), Fortnite = 70-90 FPS on high settings, Rainbow six siege = 40-60 FPS on medium to high setting. They are all playable but all of this wont matter if your not good at the game :D.

On 14-7-2018 at 5:57 AM, rnhbs said:

yes you can do that but the card is only going to be good for 1-3 years(after year 1 your probly not going to find 60fps with custom setting and high texture)

maybe go for second hand cards