general discussion sucks it's just full of tech questions in the wrong place

Locked, more suited as a status update /s

Yeah, it is filled with questions in the wrong place, but it's all noobies who have no idea how to use the forum. It's not a big deal and most of the topics get moved to right subforum very quickly (thanks to our excellent mods compared to other tech forums I've used).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Glad to see we're not the only ones who notice this.  I've once seen it so bad that about 90% of topics on the first 1.5 pages were things that were moved.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Again, I feel it's because this is the only way for questions to have a chance to reach a larger audience for help. I for one, don't even bother venturing into the workbench, let alone GPU, Displays, Audio, etc. sub forums. I'm not going to go out of my way to religiously venture into those sections just to help someone. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Again, I feel it's because this is the only way for questions to have a chance to reach a larger audience for help. I for one, don't even bother venturing into the workbench, let alone GPU, Displays, Audio, etc. sub forums. I'm not going to go out of my way to religiously venture into those sections just to help someone. 

Agreed, the only places I browse on a regular basis are the sidebar with new topics and The Hub. I rarely venture down to the hardware section and whatnot, unless I have to make a topic of my own there.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

General Discussion is the best place to start a thread for any topic because it is the place most people are lurking and thus likely to get more eyeballs. If you start your thread in some other section, it will most likely not get any views or replies.

Mods will move your thread to appropriate section anyways after sometime.

Should this thread be in forum information?   xD

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

49 minutes ago, avg123 said:

General Discussion is the best place to start a thread for any topic because it is the place most people are lurking and thus likely to get more eyeballs. If you start your thread in some other section, it will most likely not get any views or replies.

Mods will move your thread to appropriate section anyways after sometime.

How can that be an excuse for posting in the wrong section? Seriously?

Do people go to the nearest convenient store and yell that they want to buy a new car because they are to lazy to go to a car dealership? Would you just go: - Oh, let me help you,  what maker and modell do you want on your new car? You made the right decision to come here and ask instead of going to the right place to begin with.  

My theory on why so many post is this section is because it's the first topic on the forum. Rename it and people are still to lazy (or dumb, plain and simple) to manage to post in the correct topic of the forum.

I would be driven crazy as a mod and just delete all the posts that are posted in this forum instead of the correct one so people just had to learn how to read. It's basic knowledge on how to behave, for christ sake. I frequent many forums and have never seen anything like this and in this scale of not comprehending how  to start a topic in the right place, LTT forum is by far the worst place, in that regard.

1 minute ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

How can that 

How can that be an excuse for posting in the wrong section? Seriously?

Do people go to the nearest convenient store and yell that they want to buy a new car because they are to lazy to go to a car dealership? Would you just go: - Oh, let me help you,  I what maker and modell do you want on your new car? You made the right decision to come here and ask instead of going to the right place to begin with.  

My theory on why so many post is this section is because it's the first topic on the forum. Rename it and people are still to lazy (or dumb, plain and simple) to manage to post in the correct topic of the forum.

I would be driven crazy as a mod and just delete all the posts that are posted in this forum instead of the correct one so people just had to learn how to read. It's basic knowledge on how to behave, for christ sake. I frequent many forums and have never seen anything like this and in this scale of not comprehending how  to start a topic in the right place, LTT forum is by far the worst place, in that regard.

It works. Especially if it is about some obscure topic. I speak from a point of experience, not morality.

4 minutes ago, avg123 said:

It works. Especially if it is about some obscure topic. I speak from a point of experience, not morality.

I can give you that. But 99% of all posts are not about some obscure topic and could easily been posted in the right sub-forum if they just took 30 seconds to see what different topics of sub-forum the question would/could categorize in.

15 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

It's right in the title of this topic: 

Yeah... about that... Nobody actually reads that.

I bet most of the forum members did not even realized that little piece of text was there in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Yeah... about that... Nobody actually reads that.

I bet most of the forum members did not even realized that little piece of text was there in the first place.

Mmmm... that's the problem. People don't bother to read or to take five minutes to search to see if there already is a answer or a post with a similar problem that is ongoing they can chime in on. 

I agree with this thread. I think mods need to do more work in sorting out the questions.

hi.

22 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Mmmm... that's the problem. People don't bother to read or to take five minutes to search to see if there already is a answer or a post with a similar problem that is ongoing they can chime in on. 

Why would they, their questions get answered, the mods move their thread to the appropriate sub,  why bother looking or thinking about where to post if you don't have to.

Also they might get more answers in general than in the specific subs, I started two threads in the appropriate subs and no one responded, I would have thought at least one person might know something but alas not.  

I suggest if I had posted these in general I might have had a few suggestions before they got moved.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, avg123 said:

FYI, we do issue spam warning if all your threads are posted in the General section and if you're ignoring mods asking you to take some time to post in the appropriate section.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

10 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

It's right in the title of this topic: 

Can mods just lock General threads a d say “post in the right subsection” because if they’re purposely breaking the rules to get more eyes, it’s as immoral as clickbait. “10 great products Linus dropped. You won’t believe how much #pancake cost!” 

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

Why would they, their questions get answered, the mods move their thread to the appropriate sub,  why bother looking or thinking about where to post if you don't have to.

Also they might get more answers in general than in the specific subs, I started two threads in the appropriate subs and no one responded, I would have thought at least one person might know something but alas not.  

I suggest if I had posted these in general I might have had a few suggestions before they got moved.

Exactly my point. There has to be a better solution to this, like make General Troubleshooting part of the Hub rather than having it all the way down in the workbench area. People always complain about things being in the wrong sections, but they don't realise how useful posting things in the wrong place actually is when they have an issue that needs an answer ASAP. I've had threads about issues I'm trying to resolve, and the first response was about a month after the thread was originally posted. By then I would've figured it out myself after a few beers, some luck, and countless hours just throwing whatever I can at the problem. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580