Phantom X58 Xeon Scrap Build Challenge

wildgg

Hello LTT, welcome to the Phantom X58 build log!

Intro:

Inspired by the Scrapyard Wars series i wanted to see if i could build a respectable Gaming PC for around 200€, after getting parts from different places it became clear that 200€ was going to be hard, so the budget was going to be 350€.

After a few months i got every part i needed to start the build, most parts are bought of ebay but some of the parts i bought new like the PSU and HDD, i couldn't find a decent PSU on ebay and the HDD i bought about a year ago brand new for my Gaming PC but ended up not using it.

After completing my main Gaming rig (check my profile for specs) and not needing upgrades i wanted to build something that was a challenge but could also be a learning experience, this is why i went for the X58 platform.

Overclocking on a older platform was way harder then i was used to, with newer platforms like z97/z370 where you only really need voltage and multiplier settings to get a decent overclock.

It's been a really fun experience doing this and i actually learned some things from this older platform and this build in general.

Below will be a listing of all the Parts and for the people asking why the GPU was only 20€ you can check THIS link out for the topic where everything is explained.

When i extended the budget to 350€ i ended up on a total of 305€ which i pretty good for what i got. ( i think :P )

NOTE: the motherboard/ram/cpu cooler i got as a combo. 

Specs:

- Xeon X5660 6C/12T 45€

- Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev 1.6 75€

- OCZ 6GB (3x2) (combo with motherboard)

- Noctua NH-D14 NF-F12 (combo with motherboard)

Sapphire vapor-x r9 280x 3G 20€

- Corsair CX650 Bronze 60€

- NZXT Phantom 30€

- Seagate 1TB 45€

- Fans (mixed ones) 30,-

Total: 305€

Mods:

Not allot of mods and definitely not done professionally :P

i did not have to many tools to work with so that didn't help.

Alright, i wanted extra intake fans for when ever i needed the extra cooling so i thought the best place to put them was behind the front door, this way i can open the door for extra intake or have it closed for the nice looks.

Another little thing i had laying around was a start button for a race car and it matched the color so why not add it.

Side panel window, i wanted to make a cutout in the original side panel and put Plexiglass behind it for the window but again limited by tools i decided to get a piece big enough that fit the whole side of the case and i like how it turned out, it is super easy and no cutting needed, i drilled one little hole that fits a tiny screw to hold the panel in place.

(pictures of these mods will be below)

Pictures:

Just some picture i took while building it nothing to special.

Thank you for checking it out and let me know what you think!

OnkGAmr.jpg

gwJhJ4J.jpg

AiUsrTJ.jpg

O67XQpE.jpg

CtmsESj.jpg

X8YrsPs.jpg

B8PbShz.jpg

MgfYrsE.jpg

wmltot7.jpg

7pjDPVO.jpg

ZEwxfa6.jpg

LSvRMsW.jpg

KvS3kYe.jpg

1I5L2kB.jpg

47Qw2wb.jpg

NJe1uB1.jpg

AyPLe4v.jpg

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Once you OC that Xeon this thing would even be half decent at the current AAA titles, and with just 2GB more of RAM which is like a fiver lol. Nice deals!

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Once you OC that Xeon this thing would even be half decent at the current AAA titles, and with just 2GB more of RAM which is like a fiver lol. Nice deals!

Thank you! and yes i really wanted to get 8GB and i will keep looking for a good deal on that.

Working on the OC :)

O3B5Rvi.jpg

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

what a beauty! :o

Thank you!

1 hour ago, wojtepanik said:

i've got e5645 and it works like a champ, really cool and well performing are those xeons :)

yeah i love these xeons, if people are getting older xeons i would get at least the 6c/12t or higher if you can i'm not sure if the 4c/8t are worth it if you're going for a xeon.

1 hour ago, AskTJ said:

You got it to 4.6GHz???

yes i did! and that's the limit i found out today, 4.7GHz is not happening on this chip sadly :(

i'm really happy with 4.6 :)

On 28-6-2018 at 3:31 PM, AskTJ said:

You got it to 4.6GHz???

tried all day to get 1100 points but no luck

my last post showed 1025points, i couldn't up the core clock any higher or it wouldn't boot, so been busy tuning the uncore and got that to almost 4ghz but ran into a wall again.

so this is the MAX i can get.

0YpgECO.jpg

UPDATE:

this is where it ends, i cannot push any higher because i'm limited by cooling at this point

7th place on hwbot for the x5660

image_id_2036329.png