PC in Motorcycle Pannier?

Wouldn't it be cool to have a PC that you could pick up and mount right on your bike for transport? There are a number of hard case panniers that even look a bit like mid towers, and if anyone could make something like this work, LTT can. Linus even has a bike to test them on!

Which would be easier, modifying an existing pannier, or modifying a beefy PC case to fit with a mounting system?

I'd love to see this happen, I think it's exactly the kind of wacky thing LTT does so well.

A bike ride can be very bumpy and a desktop is not really made to be transported continuously. I can only imagine the amount of reinforcements you need to add to protect the GPU from snapping right off the motherboard’s PCIe slot. A heavy or bulky CPU cooler is also problematic for the same reasons. The use of an HDD is a no-go as well.

You should consider adding decent dust/mud filters to keep the inside of the case clean when riding the bike.

Nevertheless, it would still be a nice a fun idea though.

Anything with fans... yeah nope. You'd need quite shockmount system to give it chance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'd like to think this is what the original designers had in mind when laptops started being sold :P 

That's an F in the profile pic

4 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I'd like to think this is what the original designers had in mind when laptops started being sold :P 

Considering their size back then, hell it might have been on the table but back then solid storage wasn't feasible :P

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

IIRC Linus doesn't have the type of motorcycle you can attach a pannier to ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Ive transported a PC on my bike before but I used a crapton of rope but it was attached to the top box with tie down straps and rope. 

0/10 would reccomend due to crappy weather and roads

PC survived though

the main problem with computer on cars /bikes is  movement, that can kill your pc faster than a lighting storm, you are hitting constantly all the joints , the only way i think is dumping all with some kind of rubber on the joints and all around the pc xD 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

the only way i think is dumping all with some kind of rubber on the joints and all around the pc xD 

Even that might not be enough I'm afraid. A graphics card or a bulky/heavy CPU cooler can simply snap off the motherboard.

well you can use a evo 212 that is easy to remove and remove de gpu also (dont care about applying new thermal paste) but the screews from the mobo to the case can kill it too, all screws & joints are fatal to bumps , metal with metal hiting constantly :( 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

18 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

How about no openings while riding a bike and a motor or you removing a panel with a rubber grommet when the pc is started?

For bumps it would help to use a pcie riser and water cooler or light air cooler 

Building everything reinforced in a way it could still move/swing would reduce the impact for example with rubber blocks below the gpu mounts.

Other approach would be to look at how rugged PCs are build and mimic it.

True, these are all good ideas. I haven't said that it was impossible, haven't I? ;):)