Apple banned cryptocurrency mining on ios devices

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

what if malicious app mines in the background?

7 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I'm pretty sure ARM based devices like the iPhone or any other phone aren't meant for cryptomining. Besides, if a person wants full control of their device, then the iPhone shouldn't be the phone they're getting. Also, cryptomining on a phone can turn it to a lovely black brick especially when it's a malware in disguise so I applaud Apple for doing this.

Remember that when it comes to Apple: Their platform, their operating system, their rules.

nobody is saying that malware shouldnt be removed. and plus this measure only stops non programmers from mining. people who can code their own apps can still mine. also i never said that mining on your phone is a good idea but if people want to they shouldnt be prohibited from doing so. also mining on your phone might not be as dumb 10 years in the future

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

nobody is saying that malware shouldnt be removed but people who purposely mine shouldnt be prohibited from doing so. and plus this measure only stops non programmers from mining. people who can code their own apps can still mine. also i never said that mining on your phone is a good idea but if people want to they shouldnt be prohibited from doing so. also mining on your phone might not be as dumb 10 years in the future

That is why if someone wants to mine crypto on their phone, they shouldn't get the iPhone. If someone wants to mine crypto on their phones, get an Android phone with a high end SoC with an unlocked bootloader then load whatever kind of cryptomining on that phone. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

that makes no sense, there are games that can tax your phone, should they be disallowed as well? someone may want to play 24/7

should we not be allowed to run benchmarks on a PC like prime95 and the likes for the same reason?

if the phone is in danger by running something for to long do as intel and amd does, throttle it. In fact Apple already does it. And they also warn you when it gets to hot

1) I highly doubt someone plays games 24/7/365, they would probably be dead.

2) benchmarks only last minutes, not days or months

3) throttling only prevents the device from instantly overheating. It still keeps the processor at high temps. Notice how in benchmarks when the CPU is throttling it stays at like 95-100C, the throttling only prevents it from reaching 105C and shutting down. If you have a computer that is continuously throttling it will cause very rapid degradation and failure.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

someone may want to play 24/7

I'm pretty sure that even if there's a person who would want to play 24/7 (which is unlikely) on their iPhones, they need to take a piss and eat or whatever so the iPhone then takes a rest.

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

I'm pretty sure that even if there's a person who would want to play 24/7 (which is unlikely) on their iPhones, they need to take a piss and eat or whatever so the iPhone then takes a rest.

they could rotate with another person and they can play while peeing and eating

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

they could rotate with another person and they can play while peeing and eating

eww ?

eww ?

i use my phone all the time when im on the bathroom

Just now, spartaman64 said:

i use my phone all the time when im on the bathroom

i find that gross. i just hope you wash your hands after ?

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

We need this for Android. And not just as a rule, but to be actively enforced as well. Stat

The part where apps perform unrelated mining in the background or users mining on purpose, can be dealt with using just common sense.

I'm surprised Apple would be the first to catch wind of those scammy apps that reward users for viewing/liking content and downloading certain apps. People are bring enticed with greed to be manipulated into breaching their own phone security/privacy, and being turned into a human botnets used to raise popularity of dishonest people and questionable agendas.

those apps are probably already illegal and if they are not then there are ways to make them illegal without making purposeful mining illegal

i find that gross. i just hope you wash your hands after ?

ofc i always wash my hands after going to the bathroom

I find this a great move. Why should anyone mine on their iPhone or iPad in the first place anyway? It's not like those devices can do anything significant in cryptocurrency mining. Also, these rules stop the average people from falling into 'get free money by mining' apps who wouldn't normally know how detrimental it is to the device itself

Not sure what the actual policy is preventing specifically, but this concept people have that because it's not viable justifies apple banning it is just crazy.

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Also, cryptomining on a phone can turn it to a lovely black brick especially when it's a malware in disguise so I applaud Apple for doing this.

How would you feel if I said:

Also, cryptomining on a PC can turn it into a lovely black brick especially when it's a malware in disguise so I applaud MS for banning it.

After all it is their platform so they can do what they want with it,  right?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So apps that reward the user with currency without any hardware work still can't work?  Sadface

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

39 minutes ago, mr moose said:

How would you feel if I said:

Also, cryptomining on a PC can turn it into a lovely black brick especially when it's a malware in disguise so I applaud MS for banning it.

After all it is their platform so they can do what they want with it,  right?

I don’t care because I don’t mine cryptoccurency. Besides, you’re comparing a desktop OS that runs on more powerful hardware and can run any program as long as it’s Win32 regardless where it comes from to a mobile OS like like iOS which runs on a low powered SoC that is passively cooled and is restricted to a single app store. 

Besides, Microsoft is already trying to make Windows 10 an iOS-wannabe with Windows 10S so I wouldn’t be surprised if cryptominers can’t run on a 10S device. Also, between fiat currency circulated by banks and cryptoccurency that is decentralized and harder to trace, between the two which in the recent years has been greatly associated to:

• Tax Evasion 
  • Money Laundering 
  • Cybercrime (cryptojacking attacks without consent and ransomware decryption keys in exchange of bitcoin) 

It’s probably the reason why Apple banned it in the first place. Has there any application that jacks up computer resources while it mines fiat currency and automatically deposits the mined money in an offshore account and will also cause a device to be bricked? I don’t think so. Anyone who is insistent in mining crypto with their phones are better off with an Android phone with an unlocked bootloader. 

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I don’t care because I don’t mine cryptoccurency.

If you don't care why post let alone make such a detailed response?

Besides, you’re comparing a desktop OS that runs on more powerful hardware and can run any program as long as it’s Win32 regardless where it comes from to a mobile OS like like iOS which runs on a low powered SoC that is passively cooled and is restricted to a single app store. 

None of that changes the ethics or rights of the end user.   You specifically said Apple have the right to ban it because it's potentially dangerous and their platform.  Both arguments apply equally to MS with windows.

Besides, Microsoft is already trying to make Windows 10 an iOS-wannabe with Windows 10S so I wouldn’t be surprised if cryptominers can’t run on a 10S device. Also, between fiat currency circulated by banks and cryptoccurency that is decentralized and harder to trace, between the two which in the recent years has been greatly associated to:

• Tax Evasion 
  • Money Laundering 
  • Cybercrime (cryptojacking attacks without consent and ransomware decryption keys in exchange of bitcoin) 

Has there any application that jacks up computer resources while it mines fiat currency and automatically deposits the mined money in an offshore account and will also cause a device to be bricked? I don’t think so. Anyone who is insistent in mining crypto with their phones are better off with an Android phone with an unlocked bootloader. 

This is just whinge about MS and has nothing to do with the topic.  If you want to bash MS start a new thread.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

While it is pointless to mine with ios devices I don't like the aspect where Apple is telling you what you can and cannot do with your device.

It's not yours, it's Apple's.

Users only pay for the right to use the device.

Also there good things that can come out from mining on mobile, just take this extra credit episode for reference

bringing a good use that would make f2p games without lootboxes reality.

Instead of just going "muh GPUs, miners stole them all by paying them", which isn't even the subject of the topic

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

While it is pointless to mine with ios devices I don't like the aspect where Apple is telling you what you can and cannot do with your device.

So basically you don't like Apple, since that's what they do :P

6 hours ago, NMS said:

You sure about this? The GPU prices didn't skyrocket because of DRAM shortage only.

That clearly isn't in conflict with "doing whatever you want with your device as long as you don't hurt anyone". No, "your demand for a product indirictly 'hurts me' through higher prices" is not doing other people harm. Just like listening to the Rolling Stones is not an evil thing you do to increase the price of the Stones' concert tickets.

6 hours ago, NMS said:

Good for Apple, that's another good thing they did out of 100 shitty ones.

What do you mean? It's just the same thing they've been doing since forever.

10 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Well I mean think of the price of an iPhone to the crypto that you would get. Not exactly a goldmine. 

Well I think that applies to pretty much every smartphone out in the market. Unless it's one of those 10 dollar ones from India I guess it makes sense. You wouldn't feel bad for dropping or loosing those anyways. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Good for Apple. The policy may be able to prevent pathetic fools from destroying their phone by mining and then claiming a warranty.