Networking Noob

What I Know and What I Have

So recently I've been watching some networking videos on YouTube and people setting up overkill networks at home with Ethernet ports in many rooms, using patch panels, and huge managed switches. I got really interested in this stuff and want to know more about this and would like to clear up some of my assumptions. Unrelated, but my current WiFi setup is this

5b1a8c56cc1d2_NeatInternetLayout.thumb.png.509876089b57daf379f4ef48d2249ac2.png

I usually get around 350 to 400 megabit per second. what I know about networking is the difference between bits, bytes, mega-, giga-, tera-, etc. I know my computer units of storage and display and other stuff. I know that a switch gives you more Ethernet ports.

What I want to know

• What do you configure when people say "managed switches have to be configured"
  • Most people who install in overkill router use a router that's good from the same people they get managed switches and what is the difference from that and let's say a google wifi, I think it's just that the google wifi probably isn't made for enterprise networking stuff.
  • And please just tell me stuff I might need to know when trying to get into networking.

Retrowave

Air cooled version of my first PC.

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K

Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste

Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

SSD 2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

HDD: WD Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda PRO 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Case: LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case Fans: Corsair LL120

Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro

Set Up

• Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
  • Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Gaming Mousepad
  • Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR
  • Audio
    • AMP: Sennheiser GSX1000
    • Headphones: Sennheiser 58X
    • Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III
  • Oculus Rift + Touch 3 Sensor Roomscale Setup

Managed switches are build more for a business/high end home lab application.

People who install overkill routers in their homes are just dumb. Nothing else. I have gigabit internet at home, and the modem provided with the plan works awesome. i get my full 1000mbps download.

What do you want to know to get into networking? Personal stuff just at home or SMB/Enterprise stuff?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

To elaborate more, managed switches are good for stuff like port isolation, different subnets, disabling ports, lots of other things i cant really list off the top of my head.

Another thing you pay want to investigate is POE(Power over Ethernet). It can be awesome for IoT devices.

Managed switches can't be compared to google wifi. a managed switch is basically just a switch with more settings as described above. Many businesses will go with an enterprise solution like ubiquiti Access Points or a firewall like a sonicwall with sonicpoints(Their brand of access points).

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

A switch has 2 options.

It's managed, or unmanaged.

Unmanaged (aka a dumb one) means it basically makes more ports available. 1 goes to the router, the other ones to other devices and it all works.

Managed is more advanced stuff. These switches allow you to create for example VLAN's, change port speeds, aggregate ports, stuff like that.

The term "router" is only partially correct for the ones you buy. Technically it's a router and an AP.

That's why you search for a pro-grade router it basically looks like a switch with only a few ports with no wi-fi.

A router manages connections between switches and the outside world. (not completely correct).

If you have the OSI-model, switches work at layer 2, routers at layer 3. Google is your friend :)

Layer 2 uses MAC-addresses, layer 3 uses IP's.

If you want to learn how it all works, learn what exactly a router, switch, firewall and AP does and how the technologies they use work.

Also learn stuff like DNS, DHCP, NAT-translation, port-forwarding (can't think of anything else atm but there are a lot more).

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 minutes ago, Jrock said:

People who install overkill routers in their homes are just dumb. Nothing else. I have gigabit internet at home, and the modem provided with the plan works awesome. i get my full 1000mbps download.

Didn't realize control, customization, better wireless coverage, manageability, and in some cases better security where dumb =/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Didn't realize control, customization, better wireless coverage, manageability, and in some cases better security where dumb =/

Overkill routers are dumb. Something like that.

https://www.amazon.ca/Linksys-AC5400-Wireless-MU-MIMO-EA9500-CA/dp/B01IF7ROV2/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1528489441&sr=8-27&keywords=netgear+router

That's what i was talking about.

3 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Ah, so you mean like the "ultra 20 terabits per second with a trillion antennas that blast out ionizing radiation for GAMERZ!!!!!!1!! YOU'LL GAIN A MILLION FPS!!!!**" routers

**In lab conditions on the moon while blinking and might not reflect real world performance

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Ah, so you mean like the "ultra 20 terabits per second with a trillion antennas that blast out ionizing radiation for GAMERZ!!!!!!1!! YOU'LL GAIN A MILLION FPS!!!!" routers

Yesyes...

Speeds up to 5.3 Gbps for faster downloads, seamless HD streaming and uninterrupted VOIP calls

Yes, because everyone in their home has 5+gbps. 

Routers around the 100-150 mark are great with speed, wireless coverage etc everything you said. They're not really overkill. 

Just now, Jrock said:

Yesyes...

Yes, because everyone in their home has 5+gbps. 

Routers around the 100-150 mark are great with speed, wireless coverage etc everything you said. They're not really overkill. 

Agreed, especially considering most consumer devices don't have more than 1x1 or 2x2 MIMO on them

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

21 hours ago, Jrock said:

Overkill routers aren't dumb. But i think i agree with your sentiment, overkill overpriced consumer routers promising wireless speeds not possible on planet earth, gaming performance enhancing lies (crappy QOS), and lots of other pointless over-hyped "features" are meant to rob money from dumb consumers. No router is overkill if it has wireless built in. Do you really want to replace your processor, memory and nics every time a new wireless technology comes out? A router isnt overkill unless its running pfsense, and no matter how overkill it is, its a computer, and can be repurposed in the future. I don't know what $400 routers are going to hype to gamers when everyone has gigabit in the future and no need for QOS. My router has trunked connections to my switch, thats overkill, and probably soon to be replaced with SFP+. A router with a cell phone processor with 512mb of memory and 12 antennas isn't overkill, its just poor use of money.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Sorry, I forgot to address the OP's question. You'll know when you need a managed switch. You'll be researching vlans or link aggregation and realized your switch can't accomplish those things.

The big difference between other routers and google wifi is that you have bought a turn key solution... most of the configuring has been done for you, simple to get going, but the con is you can't configure it much. If its preconfigured setup doesnt meet your needs, there's not much you can do about it.

The second difference would obviously be quality of components and the level of concurrent traffic the device can handle.

If you are really interesting in learning networking... just get a hand me down pc with 2 ethernet ports and install pfsense. If you want to play with managed switches pick up the TP-link TL-SG108E. Its $35 on amazon and is more than enough to get your started with vlans and trunking.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

20 minutes ago, ltguy said:

Sorry, I forgot to address the OP's question. You'll know when you need a managed switch. You'll be researching vlans or link aggregation and realized your switch can't accomplish those things.

The big difference between other routers and google wifi is that you have bought a turn key solution... most of the configuring has been done for you, simple to get going, but the con is you can't configure it much. If its preconfigured setup doesnt meet your needs, there's not much you can do about it.

The second difference would obviously be quality of components and the level of concurrent traffic the device can handle.

If you are really interesting in learning networking... just get a hand me down pc with 2 ethernet ports and install pfsense. If you want to play with managed switches pick up the TP-link TL-SG108E. Its $35 on amazon and is more than enough to get your started with vlans and trunking.

I was just curious so that when I started, probably in a few years, I would kinda know what I'm getting myself into. Also, I should've really rephrased myself cause when I said overkill routers, I was talking about the routers that were super basic and just install into a rack mount with the power strip, patch panel, and switch.

Retrowave

Air cooled version of my first PC.

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K

Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste

Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

SSD 2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

HDD: WD Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda PRO 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Case: LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case Fans: Corsair LL120

Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro

Set Up

• Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
  • Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Gaming Mousepad
  • Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR
  • Audio
    • AMP: Sennheiser GSX1000
    • Headphones: Sennheiser 58X
    • Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III
  • Oculus Rift + Touch 3 Sensor Roomscale Setup

Another great solution is Mikrotik Routerboards, they have a ton of features and are great for small network labs. They can use VLAN’s and LAG as well as a ton of other features. I use them for several networking classes I teach. They are a solid solution for learning and work really well as home networking equipment. Be forewarned, they are very configurable devices which can be overwhelming, but they have fantastic support on the Mikrotik Wiki and Forums. I also know many people here also use them.