Why hasn't Linus tried soldering on an IHS?

Rockstar83
23 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

On an aside, now that I had some time to stew what I said, you could probably just do it yourself by:

• Delid the CPU
  • Put enough solder on the IHS where the CPU die is to hopefully make good contact
  • Bake it in the oven at just over the melting point of the solder (so like what, 200C-220C?)

... and then realize the solder probably just spread out all over the place and now you have shorted out components. :/

He could do another collab with louis rossman? He seemed to have the stuff necessary for this kinda job.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Intel doesn't use "catshit" TIM. Reportedly they use Dow Corning TC-1996. The only review I've found of it is at https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/thermal-compound-roundup-august-2011/5/  and it shows it's a pretty decent performer.

Also some of Dow Corning's other stuff is pretty impressive. The National Renewable Energy Lab did some testing on various thermal compounds (https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy08osti/42972.pdf). Dow Corning's product (TC-5022) is a much better performer than Arctic Silver 5, while costing a lot less per unit mass.

The only thing missing is the long term viability of thermal compounds. Considering that people here are still using Core 2's (which appear to be the earliest thermal grease was used) without reporting any real thermal issues, that seems to breed confidence that the TIM Intel chose lasts well after the processor becomes irrelevant to the mainstream.

I don't know man.  My personal experience delidding is way different than what should have been if this is true.  

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Are we talking about the IHS application? It has been reported that yes, Intel spaced the IHS too far from the die and so the thickness of the TIM was just a wee bit too much.

You could be exactly right there.  Maybe they should try to con intel out of a sample so they can test that theory.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Are we talking about the IHS application? It has been reported that yes, Intel spaced the IHS too far from the die and so the thickness of the TIM was just a wee bit too much.

Yeeeeep. 

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

No reference, but I vaguely recall apparently it isn't tin based solder, but indium that's used. Lead is long gone outside rare niches due to environmental concerns. Indium apparently melts at 156C, a lot easier than 232C of tin. Tin-lead as commonly used in general electronics before the ban could go as low as 183C. 

Also I vaguely recall reading somewhere if you get the process wrong, the different cooling rates of the solder and die could cause thermal stress and break it. That might be a further contributing factor. In a manufacturing process they could control the temperature profile. To do it by hand is much more risky.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, porina said:

No reference, but I vaguely recall apparently it isn't tin based solder, but indium that's used. Lead is long gone outside rare niches due to environmental concerns. Indium apparently melts at 156C, a lot easier than 232C of tin. Tin-lead as commonly used in general electronics before the ban could go as low as 183C. 

Also I vaguely recall reading somewhere if you get the process wrong, the different cooling rates of the solder and die could cause thermal stress and break it. That might be a further contributing factor. In a manufacturing process they could control the temperature profile. To do it by hand is much more risky.

https://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

Based De8auer and his handy "guide".

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

15 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Looks kinda familiar, might have been that I saw before. Indium isn't as expensive as mentioned in the guide, at least the lump I got off ebay wasn't. Used it in part to make brew liquid metal so I'm not going to run out any time soon...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, Rockstar83 said:

liquid metal probably creates almost identical

the $1000 per ml liquid metal isnt as good as solder or other traditional electrical connection methods.

Whats IHS?

Why would he? It is over complicated, and delidding is cheaper, and simpler.

hi.

They need specialized equipment for that and I'd much rather for Linus to write titles that actually tells us what a video is about instead of the current ones that have little to do with the products they are looking at.

Seriously they are showcasing an Asus ROG phone and they make zero mention of Asus, ROG or even Phone in the title... but they effing put Razer for some reason. What is wrong with the person writing the video titles.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 06/06/2018 at 12:10 PM, TetraSky said:

They need specialized equipment for that and I'd much rather for Linus to write titles that actually tells us what a video is about instead of the current ones that have little to do with the products they are looking at.

Seriously they are showcasing an Asus ROG phone and they make zero mention of Asus, ROG or even Phone in the title... but they effing put Razer for some reason. What is wrong with the person writing the video titles.

I highly agree. 

hi.

8 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

In order to melt lead based solder you need about 190C. Add about 20C at the worst for lead-free solder.

If you don't do it right, and it's likely very hard to do it right, you're going to outright fry the CPU.

Sadly it's nowhere near that simple. You need to pretreat the die and IHS and then use a specialized indium based solder, rather than your typical Tin solder. And even then doing it at home you'd be *very* likely to destroy the CPU with the thermal expansion of the pretreat and solder. I'd suggest giving Debauer's guide as mentioned by @DildorTheDecent a read. It's a good read and gives an idea of just why they moved away from soldering them.

6 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

6 hours ago, porina said:

Looks kinda familiar, might have been that I saw before.

Did you read this? The diagram we used is very similar, although his article isn't talking about the same thing and it's far better written.  My post was simply about how much difference getting rid of (or minimizing) the amount of adhesive makes.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Maybe Intel or AMD should just give enthusiasts what they really want: bare dies.

You should be pro enough to torque the screws to spec ;)

I've been thinking about this for a good while. Why not give the K-series chips with unattached IHS's? Intel can supply each box with gasket maker (RTV or whatever else might work) and a basic list of TIM's that they have approved. They can then have a page where they ask for community feedback, with data to back up claims, for other third-party pastes that Intel can then test first-hand for qualification. This would make their enthusiast K platform marginally better than the respective non-K CPU. Those CPU's have to be pasted and adhered with approved products and carry a paid-for (by the consumer) warranty for overclocking and stock performance for a longer time by requiring a picture in a specific format where the TIM, adhesive, and IHS are shown for Intel to prove against should a warranty claim be needed. 

Is it more work for enthusiasts? Yes. 

Is it something we need? Not really.

But it would show that they do care for small segments of their community and enthusiasts aren't exactly smaller than 20% of their sales. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

23 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I've been thinking about this for a good while. Why not give the K-series chips with unattached IHS's?

Because you're far more likely to break it, and they'll either have to give no warranty, or they'll constantly have to replace them.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

11 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I agree.

What I especially hate is when they review or showcase a product, and don't mention the product name or model number in the title.

It'll be like:
"Is this the BEST GAMING MONITOR Ever???"

I don't even have a problem with that kind of title, if it was like this instead:

"Is this the BEST GAMING MONITOR EVER??? ROG Swift PG247Q Review"

Just, throw me a bone. I don't want to waste my time watching a review of a product I'm not interested in.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)