Senate votes to overturn ajit pais net neutrality repeal

Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Keep this non-political.

3 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

Well, we'll probably need more legislation, but I would say this is a good start.

People who aren't in favor of net neutrality always act as if it will create a law that will never change. Meanwhile, I'm just here thinking, "Okay, Net Neutrality as a principle is good, and the laws being implemented to uphold this principle are a good start, but ISPs are dickheads, so we probably need some changes in the future to ensure they can't take advantage of loopholes." We just need to get our collective foot in the door, keep it there, and move forward from there.

Also, if it never stopped throttling, why are ISPs so opposed to it being implemented? Wouldn't they rather have a useless law in place that placates the consumer? They obviously don't like it, and from what we've seen, it's not because they care about the consumer, so it must be detrimental to them in some way. You know, cutting into their profits, preventing them from taking advantage of the consumer, things like that. Or is there some other reason?

Large corporations, especially ones with massive infrastructure ownership, will always seek out as much latitude as they can manage. Government is viewed as a Risk Premium they deal with, so the rule changes would have put limitations upon their future actions that might adversely effect them in the future.

For all of the ranting & raving that happened, most of "#Net Neutrality" was a Google propaganda campaign, started back when people didn't know Google was extremely evil. This has always been about one faction of corporations vs another faction, it's just that all of them happen to be massive. All of the campaigning was emotional appeals on the fear that you might "lose" something, yet this has always been about costs & revenue streams for all of the companies.

On the practical end, I still don't get why Google didn't get legislation passed in 2013 over this. Yes, things changed because of successive legal findings in the years since, but Google has massive influence, lobbying power and access to the then-sitting President. The Internet is, in historical terms, a brand new communication technology. I think it could use its own, separate, Federal oversight board. I still don't get why the didn't happen, though maybe Google was just asleep at the wheel at the time.

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

Who the hell takes surveys xD

Did you see election polls prior to Trump winning

Sorry, but polls being wrong in the 2016 election do not make all poles “fake news”

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sorry, but polls being wrong in the 2016 election do not make all poles “fake news”

This is true but it does mean that I can ignore them without much care without other evidence, people can use them as supporting evidence but they are not something that can stand alone, the results of elections and referendum would be far more conclusive and worth discussing.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

This is true but it does mean that I can ignore them without much care without other evidence, people can use them as supporting evidence but they are not something that can stand alone, the results of elections and referendum would be far more conclusive and worth discussing.

Then you clearly don’t care about critical thinking or analyzing statistical data or even understand the point of a poll. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

25 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Then you clearly don’t care about critical thinking or analyzing statistical data or even understand the point of a poll. 

The point of a poll is projection of outcome, preference or current standing if polls have become less accurate (which they have) then these projections are less meaningful, as to why they've become less accurate I can't be expected to know more than billion dollar information collection agencies but it is clear that they have become less accurate when comparing projections to outcomes in more than just the US election (pollsters even admitted it)

As for statistical data I would be fine with it if it wasn't manipulated in some manner the vast majority of the time there is a reason why "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a saying.

However it is becoming quite clear I should just post memes on threads about this topic as it would accomplish far more.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

16 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

As for statistical data I would be fine with it if it wasn't manipulated in some manner the vast majority of the time there is a reason why "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a saying.

That’s where the critical thinking comes in. 

8 hours ago, AkatsukiKun said:

Feels bad knowing people voted for a party that consistently screws people over, but it is a relief that it didn't happen because Canada usually looks south for some directions.

Decided it was political *self censored*

You all keep misspelling the guy's first name. It's Ejit, not Ajit. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

18 hours ago, Shakaza said:

People who aren't in favor of net neutrality always act as if it will create a law that will never change.

Except that NN was never a law, it was a regulation.  That's why it was so easy to repeal (and in my opinion, deservedly so).  If Congress wants it, they should pass it as a law, not rely on a panel of 5 to vote it up or down.  Congress gets paid to write laws, so they should just do their jobs.

linus_yes48x48.png.15d7c5547f939669ef731692395a09b4.png UUUUhhh take this mr Pai

Sadly it still has to go through the house and the annoying orange himself...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

For not meeting the posting guidelines.

-= Locked =-

This thread is just spiraling.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER