Should I Trust this PSU?

Hi guys! I am currently searching for a new powersupply since I will soon receive an aged mid tier graphics card (r9 270x TOXIC). I encountered this fairly cheap branded PSU which is an FSP Raider 650w 80plus Silver in a local website, but it has a different packaging compared to FSP's website. My guess is that it comes from a korean retailer/manufacturer which explains the difference in packaging. I've done quite a few research about PSU and I know it belongs to Tier 6 in LTT list and tier 4 in tomshardware, but I'd like to know if there are any cases of fraudulence happening in PSU just like what we can see in ebay selling fake bios-flashed gpus. Here are a few pictures from the retailer.

EDIT: If you goodle the product code in the pic (RA-650s) you'll get some korean/japanese sites. Amazon jp has 4 star avg customer review. so is it legit? (brand claims and 80plus rating)

My system
i5-4460

8gb HyperX fury 1600mhz

currently a GTX 750 OC (switching to: r9 270x)

1TB WD Blue

500gb Toshiba 

online PSU calculators say that my system eats about 491W 

Thanks!

32190896_417272328736068_2408035433830154240_n.jpg

32313359_417272322069402_2581778027868323840_n.jpg

that build does NOT eat 490 watts.. my 4790k + GTX970 + SSD & HDD uses just below 300 at full tilt.

if its bellow teir 4 i wouldnt use it, if its in teir 6 its probably garbage

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that build does NOT eat 490 watts.. my 4790k + GTX970 + SSD & HDD uses just below 300 at full tilt.

I know I just cited what was mentioned in PSU calculators although plus it was calculated with the 270x and not 750 OC. But the review in Andandtech would say that a full system with i7 would eat up about 286 under synthetic furmark load. i don't know how much to deduct if it were an i5 4460. also doesnt include some peripherals 

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

if its bellow teir 4 i wouldnt use it, if its in teir 6 its probably garbage

Why so? I'm on a budget and also an 80plus silver would be nice to electricity consumption

3 minutes ago, jmu599 said:

Why so? I'm on a budget and also an 80plus silver would be nice to electricity consumption

Shit quality

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Shit quality

But would it work fine with a power hungry card? How will it affect stability? I need to do some more reading about powersupply qualities... but what lured me in the most is the price at around 30 USD I think the retailer buys surplus goods overseas.

11 minutes ago, jmu599 said:

anything thats teir 6 has a reason to be there, could be shitty protections, caps that blow even under normal load, not living up to what it promises or that it cant handle working at anything above room temp to name a few reasons i can think off. i dont know what of that that applies here but @STRMfrmXMN should know, seeing as he pretty much put that list together and knows a load about PSUs

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

anything thats teir 6 has a reason to be there, could be shitty protections, caps that blow even under normal load, not living up to what it promises or that it cant handle working at anything above room temp to name a few reasons i can think off. i dont know what of that that applies here but @STRMfrmXMN should know, seeing as he pretty much put that list together and knows a load about PSUs

Wish he would notice this lowly thread lol hahaha  but well I might as well reconsider this secondhand seasonic 500watts screw online psu calculators why do they mark up so much watts 

Just now, jmu599 said:

Wish he would notice this lowly thread lol hahaha  but well I might as well reconsider this secondhand seasonic 500watts screw online psu calculators why do they mark up so much watts 

they aim for doubble your comsumption to put you at around peak efficency of the PSUs afaik, and he will come here, he pretty much always helps out cuz he is awesome

Builds:

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, jmu599 said:

online PSU calculators say that my system eats about 491W 

Online Calculators calculate with worst case TDP values. Just add/remove DIMM Sockets and Harddrives and see how much that changes. The Drives might consume that for an ms or two until the Motor starts spinning.

Either way, its bullshit and way too much. With those Components your system won't even consume hallf of the estimate. I'd guess you'd be under 200W most of the times...

So with that knowledge, you should look for better 400-450W units like be quiet Pure Power 10 or other units with DC-DC.

What's available in your region? Where are you from?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

27 minutes ago, jmu599 said:

Group Regulated.

That means that +12V and +5V are dependant on each other -> low load on one and high on the other causes the lightly loaded to rise and the havy loaded to fall and go out of spec.

That's why you should avoid it if possible, especially on units over 400W. Under 400W there is no alternative...

But would it work fine with a power hungry card?

Where is the power hungry card??
The R9-270X is a renamed Radeon HD7870 wich isn't really power hungry and around the same level as modern mid range cards such as GTX1060, something like that.

The used chip was the most efficient AMD had at the t

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

What's available in your region? Where are you from?

I'm from the PH, I'm having second thoughts on buying 500W psus because of these calculators and also I want that peak efficiency so my mind leans to these cheap PSUs with 80 plus silver efficiencies. But I guess I have to reason with myself that 500W would be find under load and alongside peripherals (gaming keyboard, LED fans, and a USB audiohub) 

I can spot some seasonic S12ii up for grabs secondhand might consider those.

37 minutes ago, jmu599 said:

But would it work fine with a power hungry card? How will it affect stability?

My explanations are pretty bad so let other PSU experts like @Stefan Payne, @STRMfrmXMN, @JDE etc answer

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Don’t worry about that “peak efficiency”. Because the “peak” is different for every PSU - for some it’s at 30%, some 50%, some 70%. And the efficiency difference between those loads (~30% - 70%) will be very small.

And every PSU will be more or less efficient, because they’re built differently.

For example, a 400w be Quiet! Pure Power 10 at any load may be more efficient than that FSP 650 at its ‘peak’, simply because it’s an overall more efficient PSU.

So don’t waste time doubling your required wattage. Just choose a quality PSU that can support your build.

And S12ii power supplies are still group regulated, along with missing protections. You want to look for a DC-DC PSU.

2 hours ago, jmu599 said:

I'm having second thoughts on buying 500W psus because of these calculators

Get a Power Meter and look at that.

I have measured my Ryzen 7/1700 with _TWO_ Radeon HD7970GHz Edition and even that isn't overloading a 550W PSU (without OC)...

and also I want that peak efficiency

*sigh*...

That shit again...

Peak Efficiency is somewhere between 30 and 70% load and the difference between Peak and 80% is something like 1%, maybe 1,5%. Is it really worth to think about that?!

I doubt it.

And in the last 20% of the PSU it looses another Percent.

And with other words, you prefer a shitty 600W over a good 400W one??

For what reason exactly?

so my mind leans to these cheap PSUs with 80 plus silver efficiencies.

Problem is that Silver is Rare and there aren't really many decent PSU with that efficiency level - never were. Silver is something like the Lost label nobody cared about...

The be quiet Pure Power 10 is the only somewhat decent 80plus silver unit right now. The reason for that is that the cost advantage of Silver over Gold just isn't there.

You can go from Bronze to Gold for a couple of bucks, why shouldn't you do that insted??

But I guess I have to reason with myself that 500W would be find under load and alongside peripherals (gaming keyboard, LED fans, and a USB audiohub) 

Even 400W is good.

You should look for a good PSU first, Wattage second.

And more than 550W also doesn't give you any advantages either because Watt you don't use is useless.

So get a good quality 400W PSU like be quiet Pure Power 10, Corsair CX450 (a bit loud) or Cooler Master Master Watt (without anything).

Another possibility could be HEXA 85+ and II, but only those.

I can spot some seasonic S12ii up for grabs secondhand might consider those.

Don't.

PLS DON'T!

Those are even worse than the FSP one you were considering in the beginning...

People still recommend those ancient things that were introduced in 2010 or so...

And even had a false Label that mentioned two +12V Rails, when the unit clearly didn't have it...

45 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Don't.

PLS DON'T!

Those are even worse than the FSP one you were considering in the beginning...

People still recommend those ancient things that were introduced in 2010 or so...

And even had a false Label that mentioned two +12V Rails, when the unit clearly didn't have it...

Wow I really need to read more about these things, I could've thought that getting that Seasonic s12ii would be alot better since its in the higher tier atleast. Do drop me some useful links I can read in my freetime.

5 hours ago, jmu599 said:

Wow I really need to read more about these things, I could've thought that getting that Seasonic s12ii would be alot better since its in the higher tier atleast. Do drop me some useful links I can read in my freetime.

I dunno about a Raider being better than an S12 as they're both old and group-regulated, but you definitely should get a better unit than you have now. You don't need a whole lot. A CX450M would be perfect for your system. Your system only uses maybe 130-140W under full stress.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

10 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I dunno about a Raider being better than an S12 as they're both old and group-regulated...

Yeah.  Both are pretty much in the same boat.

11 hours ago, jmu599 said:

Naa, its the same shit on the electronics side with the same voltage regulation problems, that totally can destroy your PC.

The difference is that the FSP has some decent protection while the Seasonic has not...

And the only reason why the Seasonic is regarded as a better PSU is because of the Name of the unit and probably because of the "Wapanese Capacitors" (MADE IN CHINA!)

And some people (still) think that the capacitors are the most important thing of a PSU. In reality its the other way around. you want good quality caps when the rest is in order (=independently regulated, good fan and good/working protection)...

Wow, everytime I scroll through the listings I see a good deal psu with no reviews from any websites, how about this FSP AURUM S 500W 80+gold? would it be worth it to buy? 

32 minutes ago, jmu599 said:

Wow, everytime I scroll through the listings I see a good deal psu with no reviews from any websites, how about this FSP AURUM S 500W 80+gold? would it be worth it to buy? 

NO!
Group regulated garbage...

Same shit as the Raider, just higher efficiency...