Meshify c case and my 1080 gtx high temps :(

killsign

So I built my pc a few months back and wasnt really noticing how hot my 1080 was getting until I installed CAM software with my cryorig cooler. Its constantly yelling at me that im hitting 81c with my gpu. I have 2 fans intake in front, 1 exhaust on the back. Theres also the battery intaking from bottom and out the back. Im wondering if maybe I need to switch to a triple fan setup on front and switch to an aio cooler to reduce heat so my gpu can get some air out. I just dont want to ruin my 1080 as I have never owned a card this nice and I understand it can take 100c but the fans are sucking in air like crazy.( tried a custom fan curve) Also little bit of dust in my fan although I thought I had pretty good pressure with 2/1. The fans are also nothing special and just left over case fans from this case and my last build, so maybe that alone is the problem. Just cant afford to buy a bunch of stuff if its pointless.

(added pics if it helps)

https://imgur.com/a/7i0A5Bp

17 minutes ago, killsign said:

So I built my pc a few months back and wasnt really noticing how hot my 1080 was getting until I installed CAM software with my cryorig cooler. Its constantly yelling at me that im hitting 81c with my gpu. I have 2 fans intake in front, 1 exhaust on the back. Theres also the battery intaking from bottom and out the back. Im wondering if maybe I need to switch to a triple fan setup on front and switch to an aio cooler to reduce heat so my gpu can get some air out. I just dont want to ruin my 1080 as I have never owned a card this nice and I understand it can take 100c but the fans are sucking in air like crazy.( tried a custom fan curve)

Are you setting a fan curve on the card itself? With MSI Afterburner or EVGA Percisionx16? I dont believe CAM has the ability to control the speed of the GPU fans, just the CPU and case fans

image.png.a2172a9dc37a7947cdc6208e2eaaf639.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Your rear fan is currently an intake and facing the opposite direction of the other fans in your system. Flip it to exhaust instead.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Are you setting a fan curve on the card itself? With MSI Afterburner or EVGA Percisionx16? I dont believe CAM has the ability to control the speed of the GPU fans, just the CPU and case fans

image.png.a2172a9dc37a7947cdc6208e2eaaf639.png

Yeah on that msi afterburner I have tried default one and messed with another varient but not sure if there's a perfect set up to run on it.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your rear fan is currently an intake and facing the opposite direction of the other fans in your system. Flip it to exhaust instead.

Really? Could sworn I did the paper test but maybe I'm an idiot will check again tommorow after work

7 hours ago, killsign said:

So I built my pc a few months back and wasnt really noticing how hot my 1080 was getting until I installed CAM software with my cryorig cooler...

Firstly, CAM software is well known to be inaccurate. Its not terrible, but its certainly not even CLOSE to the most accurate. HWiNFO64 is widely accepted as the most accurate, so I would start by downloading that.

Next, if there is any overclocking currently enabled, then disable it. GTX 1080's and 1080 TI's are known to run hot and most cant handle OC thermally without an extreme cooling solution. In fact the only 1080's on air cooling that Ive seen handle OC with decent temps is the Strix and EVGA Triple-Fan editions with dedicated bottom-mounted intake fans constantly providing fresh intake air to the cards.

Thirdly, definitely adjust the fan curve to something more aggressive.  Every default fan profile no matter the software or the card is ALWAYS optimized for silence, NOT performance.

A decent curve I use with my GTX 980 is: 0-50C: 30%, 55C: 40%, 60C: 50%, 65C: 70%, 70C+:100%. Note: I have a dedicated bottom-mounted intake fan for my GPU + extreme case airflow with 7 upgraded Phanteks Case Fans, so don't expect my same temps.

Results: During most gaming at High-Ultra settings @2560x1440, the fans don't even need to hit maximum speed, because most of the time it stays below 70C. This means the rig is near-silent even on air-cooling at full load or gaming, most of the time. During synthetic stress loads, the rig gets loud but CPU stays under 70C and GPU goes just above 70C maximum after 2 hours stressed separately.

If you want info on my build, its in my build log in my signature. Keep in mind that replicating my airflow is impossible without spending quite the chunk of cash, so just use it for ideas. Its one of the most extreme Air-Cooling rigs on LTT, and that was its intended theme.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

4 hours ago, killsign said:

Really? Could sworn I did the paper test but maybe I'm an idiot will check again tommorow after work

The side of the fan with the sticker / frame is the exhaust. 

faqs_airflow_rotation.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Before adding fans, try to move the upper of front fans lower. Your CPU probably doesn't need fresh air that much that it would need own intake. Usually GPUs need more fresh air and CPUs are fine with whatever is left.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

your back/top fan is not a exhaust right now, turn it around and test again

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15