New IT at a School District

Get typewriters. Kids need to learn to type qwerty properly. I see so many young adults typing with just two fingers. Their left index and their right middle finger. Bad bad bad....

many of of them can’t even hold a writing utensil like pen and pencil properly. Some hold them in a fist style as if using a hammer. Teach the kids how to properly write with a pen and pencil.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

So I can give you a bit of background on my schools multi media classes. We had about 1 t5i/t6i per 5 students in the largest period (it is much better around 3). We then have some misc cameras because we were created in early 2000s. Get some normal t5 with some different lenses if you plan on having some photography focused classes.

An interesting but not an easy or budget option would be to build out a TV studio. 

Find industry people to work them or at least get people who are interested in this and get them trained. 

(note I am using all canon models because that is what we have)

I am an alum from the school and I remember them having a greenscreen (the pop out kind) and some video equipement but once I start on the first I will have an idea. 

22 minutes ago, wasab said:

Get typewriters. Kids need to learn to type qwerty properly. I see so many young adults typing with just two fingers. Their left index and their right middle finger. Bad bad bad....

many of of them can’t even hold a writing utensil like pen and pencil properly. Some hold them in a fist style as if using a hammer. Teach the kids how to properly write with a pen and pencil.

I know the school has those plastic covers for keyboards that cover the letter to prevent looking and pecking.  So Check there

If you're into motherboard repairs then check this guy out 

On 5/8/2018 at 8:47 PM, Sierra Fox said:

that part of the movie always confused me. why not just start with the one you can't get passed?

On 5/9/2018 at 12:35 AM, VegetableStu said:

because AI thinks like a videogame

Increased power draw, heat output, and component degradation. Course, there was no reason for the cross-hatching. Horizontal lines top to bottom would have worked just as well.

At the school I go to, they have docks - these docks are TB3, which maybe the teachers at your school don't have? If that's the case, just get a different connector.

Basically, these docks allow non tech-savvy teachers to plug one cable into their computer and instantly connect to the projector, internet, printers, and whatever else is in the room.

"Shashabooey" - Po

On 5/8/2018 at 9:27 PM, Negamatt said:

Hello All,

I just got hired at a local school district and they are looking for me to not only fix computers and tech but also implement new tech into the schools system

So I turn to LTT Forums full of tech people; What tech do you think would benefit a school?

The school already has smart boards, chromebooks, etc.

School info:

In USA, Ohio in a well off area

EDIT:

I am not a teacher there, just going to be doing IT work and implementing new Tech\Fixing existing tech

So, you and I have the same job. LOL

We're rolling out Chromebooks to our kids right now. It's a year by thing since we don't have the budget to drop the hammer all at once.

Watch out for Apple, and not even for reasons that LTT followers will know. They are a GIANT pain when it comes to account management. If you need an account unlocked by them you pretty much need your deity of choice to float down to the giant glass donut and service all the executives to get anything done. Applying VPP credit to the app store is insane, even after they cash the check, where repeatedly ask which account to which to apply the credit and then threaten to return the money.

Other than that, special ed (like autism) classes definitely benefit from iPads.

Casper will help with Apple products if configured correctly.

SCCM sucks. Get KACE for managing imaging and installations that can't be handled by Group Policy.

Keep your AD clean. I'm still dealing with a shitpile of an AD setup and I'm slowly reorganizing everything, carefully so I don't blow shit up as far as GPOs and whatnot.

As I think of things I'll probably reply further. I'm in the middle of PARCC, though, so I might also just go jump off a bridge. LOL

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

On 5/9/2018 at 3:36 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Make tracking system where you "allow" students to access otherwise restricted sites in sandbox-style environment and then go on busting them.

That's called entrapment.

Also, make sure you have a good web filter. My kid's district has one called Rocket that not only filters local traffic but installs as a plugin when logged into Chrome (and Chromebooks) using their school accounts to filter traffic even offsite. We're using Barracuda where I work and it's been a giant pain in the ass so we're looking at switching to something else, possibly Rocket.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

On 5/9/2018 at 5:58 PM, jefire411 said:

Say, are the schools you are referring to located in California? In Florida, I have yet to see a school do something like this.

That's because in Florida you have... [GilmourD has been banned, his account deleted, and existence wiped off the face of the Earth]

On 5/10/2018 at 10:50 AM, geo3 said:

Make all required texts available electronically.

That's something you need to work on with the director(s) of curriculum. IT doesn't purchase texts, even if they're electronic. 

However, that is the idea behind us having the one-to-one Chromebook project in my district.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, wasab said:

That's a curriculum thing. There's no typing classes anymore. There's "computer applications" but that just teaches kids to use Office, Google, etc.

2 hours ago, GilmourD said:

That's called entrapment.

So? If they want to break rules, its their own fault.

And have you ever heard multiquote? Handy feature.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I say this non ironically:

VR based learning

https://thejournal.com/Articles/2018/01/11/Making-Virtual-Reality-a-Reality-in-Todays-Classrooms.aspx?Page=1

http://www.classvr.com/school-curriculum-content-subjects/virtual-reality-resources/

Otherwise, do some stuff with RP, and make a school coding club and encourage students to learn and they can help you and tell you other things/projects they would like to see done in the school

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

RTLS to track the location of school equipment.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎10 at 7:50 AM, geo3 said:

Make all required texts available electronically.

That would seem to be outside of the I.T. department's control. That would be probably under the control of the library. Though there are copyright laws for educational use, etc. so not certain how that would play out. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 hours ago, GilmourD said:

That's because in Florida you have... [GilmourD has been banned, his account deleted, and existence wiped off the face of the Earth]

I simply can't wrap my head around why a school would not have a more advanced computer program aside from the simple MS Office stuff.

6 minutes ago, jefire411 said:

I simply can't wrap my head around why a school would not have a more advanced computer program aside from the simple MS Office stuff.

Think about this. If you teach a class on Computer Science that's more than office, you have to have to have a teacher teach it. How many teachers do you know that can even use excel with a decent level of proficiency?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

9 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Think about this. If you teach a class on Computer Science that's more than office, you have to have to have a teacher teach it. How many teachers do you know that can even use excel with a decent level of proficiency?

My whole county is reportedly in a Teacher and bus driver shortage. Last year it became the norm for my brother to return him at like 4-5 PM when they get out of school at 3:10 PM becuase the bus was so late (It kinda is still the same now, hardly any changes). One time the bus never even came and they had all the kid's parents come pick them up. Teachers have to use up their planning period to fill in other Teacher's absent days. I don't like my county all that much TBH. They are also making a new middle school for some reason.

what country is that if you don't mind me asking

On 09/05/2018 at 2:47 AM, Sierra Fox said:

that part of the movie always confused me. why not just start with the one you can't get passed?

It's simple, that AI is a sadistic bitch! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/11/2018 at 5:00 PM, jefire411 said:

Budget. Office 365 is free for K12 school systems. That said, my district has a print tech class where they learn all about Adobe Creative Cloud. We also have 3D printers.