As you all know, as of April 26, 2018, Microsoft added BFII and BF to the backwards compatible list. They however, failed to add multiplayer compatibility or any way to emulate a LAN connection, thus dooming the game to single player only. My friends and I have been looking forward to recapturing the days of Galactic Conquest in our college dorm; many nights fueled by poorly made Starbucks coffee and breakfast burritos from the Highland market. We've even tried to set up an intricate VPN net through our laptops to try and run a pseudo-LAN connection (mc0023 is the genius behind that one). If GoG can put those servers back online, what is stopping Microsoft? What we want is very simple: Microsoft gets the servers back online, or we the community do it in spite of them. 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, TheBaconator11 said:

As you all know, as of April 26, 2018, Microsoft added BFII and BF to the backwards compatible list. They however, failed to add multiplayer compatibility or any way to emulate a LAN connection, thus dooming the game to single player only. My friends and I have been looking forward to recapturing the days of Galactic Conquest in our college dorm; many nights fueled by poorly made Starbucks coffee and breakfast burritos from the Highland market. We've even tried to set up an intricate VPN net through our laptops to try and run a pseudo-LAN connection (mc0023 is the genius behind that one). If GoG can put those servers back online, what is stopping Microsoft? What we want is very simple: Microsoft gets the servers back online, or we the community do it in spite of them. 

giphy.gif

Cool, next we can riot about EA and a bunch of other issues, and how Windows 10 doesn't support Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed (am I the only one who still cares about that game?) and etc.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Its a very old game/games at this point. Microsoft will have no desire to set up servers for very obvious financial reasons. On PC, player run servers are usually easy to do, but on a console it is a restricted ecosystem and unlikely/impossible.

Although disappointing, its just how it is. 

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Well, it's unreasonable to expect them to add server support for an original XBox game. I mean, the actual Live service shut down for the XBox in like 2010 so why would the games still have servers?

I'm with you on the LAN support though...

How dare they offer a free service to you. You poor thing 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:49 AM, suchamoneypit said:

Its a very old game/games at this point. Microsoft will have no desire to set up servers for very obvious financial reasons. On PC, player run servers are usually easy to do, but on a console it is a restricted ecosystem and unlikely/impossible.

Although disappointing, its just how it is. 

Not impossible, but unless you got a big fan base/user base that demands the servers for the console version.  Most will not bother doing so.

Heck, PSO ep1&2 servers exist still and those chaps managed to even support the Gamecube version after they managed to figure out the server hosting code.

But yeah, expecting old games like these to still have servers on consoles is wishful thinking and probably won't  happen as the company sees no point (profit) in doing so.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 5/7/2018 at 11:18 PM, Cvet76 said:

Porsche Unleashed <3

by far still the best NFS game out there...even after all these years. (sorry for no topic)

Totally! That is the whole purpose for 5 of my (ultra antiquated) computers, because that game was/is amazing, and I am still tuning my 911 GT1 to crush the Autobahn

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!