Repost: The iPhone X is the best selling phone in the world in Q1 2018

avg123
1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, because all investigations and lawsuits end in the parties being guilty, there are never false investigations. That's why we have court systems -- to argue something everyone accepts as truth.

In the majority of cases yes they do.

No smoke without fire.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

2 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

Intent is a US legal point, not a European one when it comes to anti-competitive and anti-consumer practices.

Its the action, and effect that matter. Intent is harder to prove. Isn't needed in this case.

Except that intent is required for planned obsolescence. Otherwise it's just fixing a mistake that ultimately also caused a slow down.... Unless you're also telling me that the Spectre patches are also planned obsolescence.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Except that intent is required for planned obsolescence. Otherwise it's just fixing a mistake that ultimate caused a slow down.... Unless you're also telling me that the Spectre patches are also planned obsolescence.

No. We in Europe have something called the Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.

If a company sells a product and that product still under warranty does not perform as advertised to consumers, that supplier is breaking the law. Because its the action - regardless of intent - of misleading consumers - that is itself illegal.

This is even before getting into other areas of consumer and anti-competition law areas.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

1 minute ago, mark_cameron said:

No. We in Europe have something called the Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.

If a company sells a product and that product still under warranty does not perform as advertised to consumers, that supplier is breaking the law. Because its the action - regardless of intent - of misleading consumers - that is itself illegal.

This is even before getting into other areas of consumer and anti-competition law areas.

I'm not saying there aren't possible legal ramifications for Apple's actions, but that's still not planned obsolescence.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, mark_cameron said:

Regulators do not open investigations on a whim. They do so when they have evidence that is sufficient for a potential prosecution.

In other woulds they suspect and have evidence that supports the opening of the investigation. Indeed if they want to seize evidence they have to demonstrate that a crime may have been committed.

Additionally, it doesn't matter if Apple claim they did this with the alleged 'benefit' of consumers. If there is ultimately a negative effect against consumers having to replace phones more frequently because of artificially diminished performance.

The pleading ignorance defence of Apple isn't going to work.

Ah, but you claimed it was intentional obsolescence.  This isn't true as far as we can tell.  France may ultimately decide that Apple's move had the net effect of prompting people to upgrade earlier, but there's a big difference between that and purposefully slowing things down for the sake of selling more phones.

Well profit is profit I suppose xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

Ah, but you claimed it was intentional obsolescence.  This isn't true as far as we can tell.  France may ultimately decide that Apple's move had the net effect of prompting people to upgrade earlier, but there's a big difference between that and purposefully slowing things down for the sake of selling more phones.

'Intentional' obsolescence matters not in my legal view. Because Apple are already undermining the performance of their product within the 2 year warranty period - regardless of the circumstances - and therefore are in breach of commercial contract with consumers in the EU/EEA.

For this reason - regardless of the French or Italian national laws - I believe Apple are breaking EU/EEA law.

I could technically demand Apple replace the battery and I believe they would be obligated to do so after 12 months and I should have ZERO loss in advertised performance. Or I am entitled to a free refund under contract.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Just now, mark_cameron said:

'Intentional' obsolescence matters not in my legal view. Because Apple are already undermining the performance of their product within the 2 year warranty period - regardless of the circumstances - and therefore are in breach of commercial contract with consumers in the EU/EEA.

For this reason - regardless of the French or Italian national laws - I believe Apple are breaking EU/EEA law.

I could technically demand Apple replace the battery and I believe they would be obligated to do so after 12 months and I should have ZERO loss in advertised performance. Or I am entitled to a free refund under contract.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

@Misanthrope goal post shifting please.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

@Misanthrope goal post shifting please.

Apple have zero legal leg to stand on in Europe.

There are multiple avenues to attack them on their recent conduct.

This is why they are facing investigations.

Apple have zero legal leg to stand on in Europe.

There are multiple avenues to attack them on their recent conduct.

Still not planned obsolescence no matter how badly you want it to be.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

But you claimed Apple was intentionally making phones obsolete, irrespective of what the law says.  This is false.  Will you retract that claim?

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

But you claimed Apple was intentionally making phones obsolete, irrespective of what the law says.  This is false.  Will you retract that claim?

No because there is ongoing French and Italian investigations looking into Apple's business practices in this area. There is ample suspicion and some evidence to suggest Apple is 'intentionally' obsoleting phones. In an effort to make Consumers in Europe have to replace them sooner.

No because there is ongoing French and Italian investigations looking into Apple's business practices in this area. There is ample suspicion and some evidence to suggest Apple is 'intentionally' obsoleting phones.

Maybe by issuing software updates that may be a bit much for older hardware to run efficiently, but not through the battery fiasco.

As far as I know, Apple screwed up big by not telling people about it until confronted. While that may not have been their intent, some people may have bought a new iPhone because of it, unaware that it was only from a degraded battery

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Maybe by issuing software updates that may be a bit much for older hardware to run efficiently, but not through the battery fiasco.

As far as I know, Apple screwed up big by not telling people about it until confronted. While that may not have been their intent, some people may have bought a new iPhone because of it, unaware that it was only from a degraded battery

Agreed.

Plus there is a MINIMUM by EU law - 2 year warranty on all goods and contracts.

If this is within 2 years what Apple has done is contrary to the consumer contracts people sign when taking out the phone.

No because there is ongoing French and Italian investigations looking into Apple's business practices in this area. There is ample suspicion and some evidence to suggest Apple is 'intentionally' obsoleting phones.

The air quotes suggest you're still being disingenuous.  You know as well as I do that it's very unlikely Apple purposefully set out to drive premature phone upgrades.  Why would it only affect a handful of models, with others from the same period unaffected?  Your original post directly asserted that Apple would intentionally obsolete any phone if it meant driving sales, which isn't true.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

The air quotes suggest you're still being disingenuous.  You know as well as I do that it's very unlikely Apple purposefully set out to drive premature phone upgrades.  Why would it only affect a handful of models, with others from the same period unaffected?  Your original post directly asserted that Apple would intentionally obsolete any phone if it meant driving sales, which isn't true.

I take a very dim view as to potentially seeing European consumers ripped off as opposed to people in North America where most of these technology conglomerates are based.

Apple was in receipt of payments from Qualcomm and no doubt will play the victim in all this.

21 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

Under British law, after 6 months it would be up to you to prove that the battery was defective from the beginning (as is explained in the material you link to). And that's no easy thing, often. 

9 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

I take a very dim view as to potentially seeing European consumers ripped off as opposed to people in North America where most of these technology conglomerates are based.

Apple was in receipt of payments from Qualcomm and no doubt will play the victim in all this.

No one is arguing whether or not Apple should get in legal trouble here. The problem is solely that it's not planned obsolescence like you want it to be. 

Oh and in terms of the North Americans not caring about consumer rights..... You do realize that your better warranties are subsidized by higher prices... Right? You're not actually getting more from these companies.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Not really surprising considering how few models Apple has to choose from. I reckon it's about half the selection when you compare to somebody else like Samsung, from stores near me anyways. It's interesting to note that the article still remains positive despite market-share decreasing YoY and the older models having greater popularity compared to previous years. In fact if you compare the Q1 sales performance of 8/+ and X  to that of the 7/+ of Q1 last year you'll find that overall sales are down 5.5%. The X alone is 9% below last years flagship.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

I have to say, anecdotally this is a very popular phone. A lot of my friends and colleagues have the iPhone X. Surprisingly, considering the price tag! Never thought this phone would be this popular. I would assume more people would have gone for the iPhone 8.

I guess people like spending a lot of money. I could NEVER see myself spending this much on a phone. The risk of losing / breaking / theft is just too big.

hell, a colleague of mine is on her second iPhone X, after the first got stolen, and she just cracked the screen on the second one O.o

Spoiler