Air cooling for i7 7700k that is compatible with my case?

Hi everybody, so this will be my first build, but first let me explain the scenario, I really really enjoy micro and mini pc builds, and I am an avid gamer, I also have to travel from Florida to Texas every month, and need the smallest gaming rig possible, I have settled on this build, but am quite worried that my CPU will stay hot while gaming and want the temperatures to stay somewhat lower than 80 to 90 degrees I DO NOT want water cooling at all, as I have no idea how to upkeep it and the thought of water in a pc really sketches me out, so would the CPU fan in the list below be sufficient enough to keep the build from being slow or dying.

Build list- https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NBQGq4

Maybe a laptop..?

As for the build everything seems fine except that CPU is a bit old, I mean if you have the choice of a 8700k, why not.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

2 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Maybe a laptop..?

As for the build everything seems fine except that CPU is a bit old, I mean if you have the choice of a 8700k, why not.

A laptop would be great but a laptop with similar specs as far as I have seen cost double a pc, and it has taken me 3 months to save enough to build this, would the 8700k really be worth the extra money though?

5 minutes ago, I_Tried said:

A laptop would be great but a laptop with similar specs as far as I have seen cost double a pc, and it has taken me 3 months to save enough to build this, would the 8700k really be worth the extra money though?

How much extra would it be for you? Also what type of gaming are you doing at what refresh rate and resolution?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

6 minutes ago, I_Tried said:

Yes, it would be worth it. Id also get a 1070ti instead of a 1080

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

10 minutes ago, I_Tried said:

Hi everybody, so this will be my first build, but first let me explain the scenario, I really really enjoy micro and mini pc builds, and I am an avid gamer, I also have to travel from Florida to Texas every month, and need the smallest gaming rig possible, I have settled on this build, but am quite worried that my CPU will stay hot while gaming and want the temperatures to stay somewhat lower than 80 to 90 degrees I DO NOT want water cooling at all, as I have no idea how to upkeep it and the thought of water in a pc really sketches me out, so would the CPU fan in the list below be sufficient enough to keep the build from being slow or dying.

Build list- https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NBQGq4

Most of the low profile coolers on the market dont have the mass and fan to be able to cool a 7700k quietly and efficiently. That being said there are a few options to look at

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9FGj4D/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk002

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mPbp99/cryorig-cpu-cooler-crc1a

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fhqbt6/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9x65

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hbnG3C/noctua-nh-l12s-554-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-l12s

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, QuantumBit said:

How much extra would it be for you? Also what type of gaming are you doing at what refresh rate and resolution?

My build doesn't seem to be compatible with an 8700k and I already have bought the motherboard, so the 8700k is out of the question, but here is the monitor I have if that helps at all

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PmyFf7/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01

Just now, I_Tried said:

My build doesn't seem to be compatible with an 8700k and I already have bought the motherboard, so the 8700k is out of the question, but here is the monitor I have if that helps at all

Why not liquid cooling? It is the most efficient space saver on the SFF builds... Just curious, but why not? Just get an AIO so your CPU doesn't combust

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Most of the low profile coolers on the market dont have the mass and fan to be able to cool a 7700k quietly and efficiently. That being said there are a few options to look at

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9FGj4D/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk002

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mPbp99/cryorig-cpu-cooler-crc1a

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fhqbt6/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9x65

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hbnG3C/noctua-nh-l12s-554-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-l12s

Ah thanks man, I'll be sure to look at these

2 minutes ago, I_Tried said:

Well you bought a generation old motherboard... I guess the performance different isn't much but still.... Also a 1080 is overkill, a 1070 is enough for 1080p @144hz

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

1 minute ago, jtmoseley said:

Why not liquid cooling? It is the most efficient space saver on the SFF builds... Just curious, but why not? Just get an AIO so your CPU doesn't combust

I'm really sketched out about CPU cooling as I haven't any clue how to set it up maintain it etc, plus I work part time minimum wage and people have told me that liquid cooling's upkeep it somewhat pricy as far as buying fluid for it, not sure though as I thought it was just water Lol.

Well you bought a generation old motherboard... I guess the performance different isn't much but still.... Also a 1080 is overkill, a 1070 is enough for 1080p @144hz

So a 1070 would be better for this?

1 minute ago, I_Tried said:

I'm really sketched out about CPU cooling as I haven't any clue how to set it up maintain it etc, plus I work part time minimum wage and people have told me that liquid cooling's upkeep it somewhat pricy as far as buying fluid for it, not sure though as I thought it was just water Lol.

AIO's require 0 maintenance whatsoever, they just exist. Make sure to get a good brand, but they should work out of the box, you just need to put the fans on. Its about as complicated as an air cooler. You don't need to mess with the fluid, its pre installed. You just screw it in. 

1 minute ago, I_Tried said:

So a 1070 would be better for this?

Yes

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

1 minute ago, jtmoseley said:

AIO's require 0 maintenance whatsoever, they just exist. Make sure to get a good brand, but they should work out of the box, you just need to put the fans on. Its about as complicated as an air cooler. You don't need to mess with the fluid, its pre installed. You just screw it in. 

So there would be no refilling the coolant liquid etc? just install it and that's all?

Yes

Alright thanks, let me go ahead and reconfigure the list with a 1070 instead.

3 minutes ago, I_Tried said:

So there would be no refilling the coolant liquid etc? just install it and that's all?

yes, just install it. Corsair makes good AIO's, just check radiator compatibility in your case on PCpartpicker and choose one. They should handle your 7700k a lot better 

32 minutes ago, I_Tried said:

Why are you buying Kaby Lake?

Just get an R5 2600 because it's more efficient than the intel parts a bit, and has a soldered IHS for better cooling.

The Core 500 supports taller air coolers, just gotta double check on that, though the ryzen stock cooler is alright. get a 240GB SSD minimum, the 1070ti makes more sense than an a 1080.

It supports up to 170mm CPU coolers
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/core-series/core-500

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KrBGq4
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KrBGq4/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.90 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($73.39 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($529.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1262.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-27 14:06 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why are you buying Kaby Lake?

Just get an R5 2600 because it's more efficient than the intel parts a bit, and has a soldered IHS for better cooling.

The Core 500 supports taller air coolers, just gotta double check on that, though the ryzen stock cooler is alright. get a 240GB SSD minimum, the 1070ti makes more sense than an a 1080.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KrBGq4
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KrBGq4/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.90 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($73.39 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($529.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1262.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-27 14:06 EDT-0400

The problem is I already have the motherboard and virtually everything else other than the CPU, the cooler and the card itself, so it's a bit to late x.x

4 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

yes, just install it. Corsair makes good AIO's, just check radiator compatibility in your case on PCpartpicker and choose one. They should handle your 7700k a lot better 

Alright, imma go with it, thanks for the help.

2 minutes ago, I_Tried said:

The problem is I already have the motherboard and virtually everything else other than the CPU, the cooler and the card itself, so it's a bit to late x.x

I'm so sorry. Could always just return/resell the motherboard and keep the rest though...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

I'm so sorry. Could always just return/resell the motherboard and keep the rest though...

I honestly might, considering people are telling me that I picked an older motherboard, I would rather work some more and save up enough to ensure a good build than make do with problems and age.

Just now, I_Tried said:

I honestly might, considering people are telling me that I picked an older motherboard, I would rather work some more and save up enough to ensure a good build than make do with problems and age.

It's more that you can get 6 cores 12 threads on the cheap for Ryzen with a soldered IHS which might be better for ITX overall, or just an i7 8700 on coffee lake. instead of a 7700K.

The Core 500 case also supports 240mm AIOs if you end up switching that as well. Or 170mm CPU coolers

Rather than the pitiful
" Ample space for CPU cooling (82mm in height) "
in your current case
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=413

You could also just go MicroATX with a Q300L which is still pretty small...L is the one that actually has airflow.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, I_Tried said:

Yeah, but i think it allows 240mm AIOs... So https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CW-9060025-WW-Radiator-Advanced-Lighting/dp/B019EXSSBG