Running android on new iPad (2018) possible ?

Saiyan

From what I can tell looking at the specs the iPad 2018 is a good bang for the buck. Just curious if there is a way to run or simulate android running on the new versions of iPads. I'm looking for a budget tablet with decent performance and the closest thing I can find for my price range is the about the tab a 10.1 from 2016 (which my family has and is too slow at this point) or the Zenpad s3 10. I need android OS for apps I use daily and was wondering if it's worth it to try and run android on the newer iPad or try something else out. 

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

The Android Apps you use don't have an iPad app equivalent? xD.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

The Android Apps you use don't have an iPad app equivalent? xD.

No unfortunately, most are apks I download from github. 

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

Just now, Saiyan said:

No most are apks I download from github. 

Specifically?

Also, which country do you live in? In some countries there are huge used devices stores that you might be able to buy from.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Specifically?

Also, which country do you live in? In some countries there are huge used devices stores that you might be able to buy from.

so pretty much the Chinese market where you can modify an iphone pretty much how you want lol add 128gb of ram

Just now, RoyalGamer1 said:

so pretty much the Chinese market where you can modify an iphone pretty much how you want lol add 128gb of ram

Nah. I was reffering to buying used devices like Android tablets with warranty for cheaper than new.

just don't bother and get a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3

CPU Intel i7 6800K  Unlocked CPU/Processor

Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Intel X99 RGB LED GAMING ATX Motherboard

RAM Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz RAM/Memory Kit 2x 16GB 2x

GPU ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL O.C. 6GB - Graphics Card

Case Corsair Carbide SPEC-ALPHA Black/Red Gaming Case with Window

Storage 250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD

PSU Corsair RMi Series 850W Fully Modular Power Supply

Display(s) AOC E2460SH 24" LED Full HD 1ms Gaming Monitor

Cooling Pure Rock Slim Compact Intel/AMD CPU Air Cooler

Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire Cherry Red Mechanical Backlit Gaming Keyboard

Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 Performance FPS  Laser Gaming Mouse - Black

Sound Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64Bit English OS DVD

23 minutes ago, Pingu2001 said:

23 minutes ago, Pingu2001 said:

Normally I would go samsung. But the even the last s2 is the same cost as the newest iPad. An s3 for $500 is out of my price range. From what I can tell samsung hasn't answered apples newest ipad installment with a good tablet aimed for a good budget price. 

The amount of work it would take to get ios off of it is ridiculous. Not possible rn

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Huawei Media pad M5.

The iPad 2018 has a great bang for buck - but because it has iOS, and not Android (MUCH superior for Tablets, better optimized, better Apps, longer support etc.

Getting the iPad, and installing Android (that would, if that would be possible, probably run very buggy, because of missing Drivers for the CPU/GPU, Modules (Bluetooth, wlan, etc)). So yea... The reason, to get an ipad, is to NOT use Android. it's like getting a Macbook for 2500 bucks, and then install Windows on it.

Get the HuaweI mediapad M5 (8.4" or 10.8", both 2560x1600 resolution in a 16:10 format). Between 300-400€, very good stereo speakers, etc yadda yadda. There are several reviews out there, and it's one of the best Android tablets right now - also because it comes with the latest Android 8 version.

And much cheaper  than the already 15~ Month old Galaxy Tab S3, that is right now getting security patches only every 3 Months~).

@dieegoperi What? iPads are weak? o.O Based on what exactly do you claim that?

In Fact, based on pure hardware, iPads and iPhones are mostly FAR superior than the competition (Android) has included. Just this year, Samsung with their latest Exynos chip, made an incredibly huge jump in terms of Single Core performance, and still can't beat the A11.

The now 1,5 Year old A10 Fusion from the iPad 2018 (recycled from the iPhone 7, late 2016) still beats a Desktoip Intel Core m3 (basis Surface devices, etc), and pretty much all Android SoCs^^

3600~ Single Core poitns in Geekbench 4, a Snapdragon 845 from this year only manages 2200-2400~. (Snapdragon 835 only 1900~, which is like half of what 1 single A10 core can do) Exynos from Galaxy S9(+) 3600, and is on the same Level as the 1.5 year old A10 chip (A10x, and A11 are both faster). Only in Multicore the A10 is slower, because the others have much more Cores.

Latest Exynos manages 9000 Multicore points, snapdragon 845 8300 points. Snapdragon 835 only manages 6000-6100 Multicore points with a 4+4 Core configuration. A slight little bit more than the 1.5 year old A10 chip which has a 2+2 Core configuration (and can NOT run all cores at the same time, so best is 2 strong cores).

So idk where you got that from, that Apple devices have low performance compared to others. it's the other way around, by FAR.

You can't just read the specsheet, and cmopare Core count + Clocks. These 2 only have NOTHING to do with real world Performance.

Look at the AMD FX 8350. Can OC it's 8 Cores to 5 Ghz, and the Performance is still bad.

4 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Snippity

It's because the iPad has such strong single-core performance that would make it potentially a great Android tablet.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I strongly disagree. Android does NOT need single core performance, it needs MULTICORE performance.

i've had the Nexus 9 Tablet, with Nvidia K1  SoC. It offered just a Dual Core (while competition had A57 quad cores). Single Core performance was 1800-1900 in Geekbench 3 back then, while every other CPU Cores (except Apple) had like 1200-1300 max.

It was not smooth, despite pure stock android. It was laggy, and as soon anything else happened in background, there were framedrops without end.

I switched over to a Pixel C after almost a year. Also a Tegra, but 4 Cores instead of 2, and based on Cortex A57 Cores. Single Core performance droped down to those 1300~ points, but the performance was by far better, and more stable.

5 hours ago, Darkseth said:

I strongly disagree. Android does NOT need single core performance, it needs MULTICORE performance.

i've had the Nexus 9 Tablet, with Nvidia K1  SoC. It offered just a Dual Core (while competition had A57 quad cores). Single Core performance was 1800-1900 in Geekbench 3 back then, while every other CPU Cores (except Apple) had like 1200-1300 max.

It was not smooth, despite pure stock android. It was laggy, and as soon anything else happened in background, there were framedrops without end.

I switched over to a Pixel C after almost a year. Also a Tegra, but 4 Cores instead of 2, and based on Cortex A57 Cores. Single Core performance droped down to those 1300~ points, but the performance was by far better, and more stable.

Well, those Denver cores weren't exactly ARM compatible cores either, rather it translated the ARM code to whatever internal ISA it uses, so not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

The community gave up on Android on iOS devices a long time ago. You can get it running well on an iPod Touch 1G, iPhone 1G/2G/3G and it has been tested with limited functionality on an iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 3GS. Devices above that have no hope of running Android ever and the project is now dead. 

• 10 months later...

???? Yes, it can be done. No, it’s not hard to do. Everyone always jumps to the Jailbreak method for some reason and that’s an unnecessary procedure. All you’ve got to do is extract iOS from the iPad so that the device is essentially a paperweight and install your desired version of Android OS on it. If you’re really skilled, you can even partition the iPad to run multiple operating systems and switch between them as desired. I run iOS 12.1.4, Windows 8, Mac OS Mojave, and Android OS 7.1.2 Nougat on my iPad 6th Gen (2018 model.) Why? Because I can!

On 4/27/2018 at 8:42 AM, Saiyan said:

Normally I would go samsung. But the even the last s2 is the same cost as the newest iPad. An s3 for $500 is out of my price range. From what I can tell samsung hasn't answered apples newest ipad installment with a good tablet aimed for a good budget price. 

How about the Galaxy Tab S5e?  It's still not cheap at $400, but it's one of the few modern Android tablets that isn't either a pricey laptop replacement or a sluggish entry-level model.