Xbox One X Equivalent HTPC Build (2018)

That's... Pretty expensive.  But I've found that 'console equaling' HTPCs are a losing proposition when buying new.  It's a lot better when using used/decommissioned parts.  While my HTPC is -huge- in an ATX case since it's made from my old desktop effectively, it's i7 3770k, 16GB of RAM, R9 390X 8GB and it's price cost to me was very few new purchases at all.  Ever two years I buy a new GPU for my workstation desktop, that means the old workstation desktop GPU gets hand-me-downed to the HTPC and so on.

I'm not sure why small form factor PC's are being put under such scrutiny in this thread.   With wattages and storage drives needed reducing, it's even less intuitive to have an overwhelming dominance of large builds that take up more space and resources.

Honestly, this is more a problem of complacency and bias toward tradition.  This industry still uses the PS/2 port, which was made in 87 and died in the 90's.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

That's... Pretty expensive.  But I've found that 'console equaling' HTPCs are a losing proposition when buying new.  It's a lot better when using used/decommissioned parts.  While my HTPC is -huge- in an ATX case since it's made from my old desktop effectively, it's i7 3770k, 16GB of RAM, R9 390X 8GB and it's price cost to me was very few new purchases at all.  Ever two years I buy a new GPU for my workstation desktop, that means the old workstation desktop GPU gets hand-me-downed to the HTPC and so on.

A capable gaming PC is expensive in any regard.  Compared to a mid-range build, a HTPC sized build maybe would cost $30 more for ITX board, $30 more for SFX PSU and some more for the case depending on budget.  At the moment, of course, there's an added cost to having HTPC form factor which a lot of builders would rather spend on other aspects.  However, there's no real bargain in building a PC that can game like the X1X in any event.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

1 hour ago, minervx said:

I'm not sure why small form factor PC's are being put under such scrutiny in this thread.   With wattages and storage drives needed reducing, it's even less intuitive to have an overwhelming dominance of large builds that take up more space and resources.

Honestly, this is more a problem of complacency and bias toward tradition.  This industry still uses the PS/2 port, which was made in 87 and died in the 90's.

The scrutiny is this -> Xbox One X Equivalent HTPC Build.  Meaning, a comparison to the Xbox One X console since the HTPC is to be an equivalent to it (with no UHD HDR playback makes it not equivalent).  That title and the comparison to a console is just asking for scrutiny.

Also, can we stop having red herrings here.  PS/2 has no bearing on this topic.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 hours ago, minervx said:

I'm not sure where you're coming from. I don't think anyone in this thread has made a comment from that angle. I certainly haven't as I am a massive fan of small form factor PCs and the idea of a HTPCs. Have been for decades. I'm just questioning what value a HTPC has in 2018 when pretty much everything I'd want to do on my TV can be covered by the TVs built in functions.

Really the only thing a HTPC can offer that I can think of is the ability to play PC games at a higher quality than you would games on other platforms. None of the other things you can do with a HTPC have much value at all because most modern TVs can do all of that out of the box. The only thing that's kinda missing out of the picture is BluRay playback, especially UHD BluRay playback. And for that it makes far more sense to get an XBOne S.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

As someone with a 980ti equiped HTPC, PS4 Pro, and Switch. The Xbox One X can't be beat as a media device. 

Storage is expensive and data caps are a thing for storing movies on your PC.

HDR is a joke on Windows.

Streaming takes most of the advantage of viewing a movie at 4k away. 

The One X takes up almost no room, and is next to silent.

No screen tearing in games using the One X verses Windows. (even at 60fps)

No need for a Keyboard and mouse with the One X.

These points totally ignore the obvious price to performance of the One X. 

I get it, PCs are cool. You can't beat a One X using a PC for the same price though. Just facts. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

14 minutes ago, App4that said:

HDR is a joke on Windows.

Which is sad and bad, you would think Microsoft get that straightened out and make UHD HDR content runnable in that OS.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

Just now, Ithanul said:

Which is sad and bad, you would think Microsoft get that straightened out and make UHD HDR content runnable in that OS.

IMO it's the best argument for a One X over a HTPC. Forza 7 looks amazing taking advantage of HDR, AC Origins as well. AMD has their own work around, but that doesn't help Nvidia users. I can run Forza 7 back to back on Windows and the One X on the same television. The 980ti gives the HTPC enough headroom to run MSAA, which clears up the game, most noticeable in the guiding lines and fences. The One X takes the win with HDR and not having screen tearing during lightning. 

I got the One X mostly for the Ultra HD Blueray player, as it was the cheapest. But it's amazed me in how well it can compete with a 980ti. 

HTPC is inferior as a media device, but it can at least fill that role.  An HTPC can do productivity, workstation/creative work, browsing/messaging/social media whereas X1X is very limited for those things.  Granted, if someone already has a laptop that can do most of those things and media is a top priority, maybe an X1X is the best option for them.

For the comments above about cost, yes, as a direct comparison X1X is much cheaper but only assuming a PC is also not being built.  Compact PC's maybe cost $50-150 more to build than regular ones but that's cheaper than building an ATX and then buying an X1X.

Regarding X1X still being smaller, same logic.  Yes, it has a smaller footprint, but if you're using X1X and a PC, that's more space being taken up.

Tossing a couple of cents into the ring.

I'm starting to see a less of a need for HTPCs what with smart TVs and streaming boxes capable of pulling content not only from the internet, but from LAN sources as well. The only time I'd see a need something more powerful than say an off-the-shelf NAS kit is if I want real-time transcoding to another format (but either most of my media is compatible already or most of my smart devices have a player than can play the odd format). And if I wanted to watch UHD Blu-Ray, I'd rather just get a dedicated hardware player for that considering the DRM hellhole on PCs (you need either a GeForce 10, Kaby Lake, or Ryzen or later... and then you need the software that can actually play it)

16 hours ago, Ithanul said:

It likely isn't bad, but nobody has really tested it. I've noticed some odd quirks when running UHD HDR video samples and I believe the UWP video player app is the only video player that will play those samples properly. In that when I go to the NVIDIA control panel and play around with the brightness settings on the video playback area, it significantly alters the brightness of the video in a way that makes me feel like I'm controlling the exposure of the camera. Granted that doesn't really help, so I just play them on MPC-HC with MadVR to "downsample" the video.

Also again, the DRM hellhole makes playing UHD content on the OS a joke.

10 hours ago, minervx said:

HTPC is inferior as a media device, but it can at least fill that role.  An HTPC can do productivity, workstation/creative work, browsing/messaging/social media whereas X1X is very limited for those things.  Granted, if someone already has a laptop that can do most of those things and media is a top priority, maybe an X1X is the best option for them.

For the comments above about cost, yes, as a direct comparison X1X is much cheaper but only assuming a PC is also not being built.  Compact PC's maybe cost $50-150 more to build than regular ones but that's cheaper than building an ATX and then buying an X1X.

Regarding X1X still being smaller, same logic.  Yes, it has a smaller footprint, but if you're using X1X and a PC, that's more space being taken up.

Have you tried using a HTPC as a workstation? You either need a purpose built lapboard, keyboard, and mouse that cost close to the One X, or type awkwardly on a wireless Keyboard/mousepad combo. MS actually makes a 20 dollar one I use, if you see me post odd typing mistakes it's a fair guess to say I'm on the HTPC LOL

Long story short working on a HTPC sucks balls. PC is just out gunned here, the Xbox One X is a unitasker. The One X is purpose built from the ground up to give the best experience possible for 500 bucks on a 4k HDR television, while taking up as little room and making as little noise as possible. It's only competition is other consoles, not PC. 

How would a HTPC be much different than an ATX build?  If it has a good processor, good graphics card and a lot of RAM, it should perform well.  The size wouldn't be a limitation thermally, unless of course we're talking about a 1080 Ti and a fully overclocked.  Which I doubt even most enthusiasts are doing. 

How is it the fault of an HTPC that you chose a crap keyboard?  If I got an Xbox and decided to use a bad $20 madcatz controller with it, I wouldn't say consoles are crap.

17 minutes ago, minervx said:

How would a HTPC be much different than an ATX build?  If it has a good processor, good graphics card and a lot of RAM, it should perform well.  The size wouldn't be a limitation thermally, unless of course we're talking about a 1080 Ti and a fully overclocked.  Which I doubt even most enthusiasts are doing. 

How is it the fault of an HTPC that you chose a crap keyboard?  If I got an Xbox and decided to use a bad $20 madcatz controller with it, I wouldn't say consoles are crap.

Have yoiu seen the size of a One X? 

You don't NEED a keyboard with a One X, that's the point. To get into Steam I NEED a keyboard with the HTPC. You brought up workstation tasks with a HTPC, I let you know that requires a lapboard and they are not cheap. Even with one it's not like sitting at a desk.

You don't have a Xbox One X, and a HTPC to compare it with. Why you're having a hard time understanding. 

my desk is right next to my living room in my apartment so my pc shares both functions.  i should realize other people setups are much different

1 minute ago, minervx said:

my desk is right next to my living room in my apartment so my pc shares both functions.  i should realize other people setups are much different

I know on the surface it seems a HTPC should compete with a console, just not the case. If Microsoft could get their HDR support active and working, screen tearing wasn't an issue, gamepad support was as strong as console, Ultra HD Blueray drives came way down in price or we didn't live with data caps, graphics cards didn't cost you an organ, and we could use a gamepad to navagate Windows. Then the two can compete. 

Windows is the problem.  It's not a pleasing GUI for a game library or a home theatre.  Poor bluetooth support.  Not much of a controller interface. 

Pretty much it. Which pisses me off since the idea behind the Xbox was to keep developers from going Sony centric. Microsoft should be doing everything possible to support PC gaming on a television, not being the worst part of it... 

MS made Xbox just to protect Windows from Sony.  But they didn't bother to modernize Windows

On 5/1/2018 at 12:39 PM, minervx said:

HTPC is inferior as a media device, but it can at least fill that role.  An HTPC can do productivity, workstation/creative work, browsing/messaging/social media whereas X1X is very limited for those things.  [...] my desk is right next to my living room in my apartment so my pc shares both functions.  i should realize other people setups are much different

This isn't what a HTPC is. A HTPC is specifically a PC that slides into an AV rack, is connected to a TV and is controlled from a comfortable viewing position. Really if you want to get into the specifics of the term it's something that was at its peak in the early to mid 2000s. Microsoft was the one pushing the idea the hardest and the original XBox was seen as part of that push. It was never about productivity, it was always purely a Home Theatre PC not a home office PC.

Once you start talking productivity of course a PC wins hands down. But at that point we're not talking HTPCs anymore.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

16 hours ago, skywake said:

This isn't what a HTPC is. A HTPC is specifically a PC that slides into an AV rack, is connected to a TV and is controlled from a comfortable viewing position. Really if you want to get into the specifics of the term it's something that was at its peak in the early to mid 2000s. Microsoft was the one pushing the idea the hardest and the original XBox was seen as part of that push. It was never about productivity, it was always purely a Home Theatre PC not a home office PC.

Once you start talking productivity of course a PC wins hands down. But at that point we're not talking HTPCs anymore.....

Yeah, that's a bit like buying a sports car that has room for the kids. I get why some do it, but not something I'd ever do. I want to game. 

On 4/28/2018 at 8:08 AM, dieegoperi said:

So much hate in this post

Just wanted to see some constructive answers but man, this is...

Here is a good answer that you may have been looking for.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:42 AM, AshleyAshes said:

This is the best way to do it but if you need to purchase something that can do HTPC and everything else for about half the cost see below. Hell remove the UHD HDR blu Ray drive to save almost $200USD

On 5/1/2018 at 6:58 PM, minervx said:

Windows is the problem.  It's not a pleasing GUI for a game library or a home theatre.  Poor bluetooth support.  Not much of a controller interface. 

There is many ways to change the layout of windows. Heck a simple VB 6.0 program for the GUI and to pull DIR and APP launch is pretty easy to do. There is also a ton and I mean more than should be of programs that either change windows layout and theme type stuff to outright changing how windows loads. So running instead of the explorer.exe at startup. These systems run a custom and customizable Explorer.exe which though I personally have never used have seen in use and they look great and operate perfectly.

On 5/1/2018 at 7:03 PM, App4that said:

Pretty much it. Which pisses me off since the idea behind the Xbox was to keep developers from going Sony centric. Microsoft should be doing everything possible to support PC gaming on a television, not being the worst part of it... 

This is why you STILL have to install the xbox controller app for windows just to use a PS4 controller. FYI this does work through bluetooth if you have a V4.0 (or newer) Bluetooth receiver

On 4/24/2018 at 6:42 PM, minervx said:

Right next to the VCR player.  But I do see your point.

I have looked and there is actually a ton of internal and external drives that do it all plus burning of common formats. (IDK if u can burn UHD per say as it is still a blu ray disc)

On 4/24/2018 at 7:16 PM, Ithanul said:

Considering the Xbox One S/X can play CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and UHD HDR discs.  If you want to do a comparison, then an UHD HDR player is in order.

Microsoft built the console to act as an all-in-one media box.

Also, re-looking at the list, OS cost is not included either.  I sure hope you don't plan on Linux.  I can tell you right now, trying to get certain streaming sites to work in it is a big headache.

A legal version of windows 7 x64 pro is all you would need for most stuff. I personally hate windows 10. Especially with all the broken updates and telemetry. Though I do recall that you need windows 8.1 for full bluetooth compatibility in all devices.

HERE IS MY SUGGESTION THAT IS 50% CHEAPER THAN SUGGESTED AND WILL WORK AS WELL!

I believe if I read lg.com site right. This drive supports all formats. $122USD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136307&cm_re=UHD_HDR_ble_ray-_-27-136-307-_-Product 

I recommend a cheap fx-8350 mobo ddr3 combo. (cheap on ebay) Especially with the current cost of RAM $260USD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMBO-AMD-FX-8350-AM3-CPU-8GB-DDR3-RAM-GIGABYTE-GA-78LMT-USB3-R2-Motherboard/112905235822?hash=item1a49ad2d6e:g:ofsAAOSwx2hav3~R 

The 1050 Ti goes for about $150USD atm so I'd personally get a 1050 Ti or 1060 6GB video card (one with extra GDDR if you can)

3TB drive that is actually cheaper than the 1TB u got listed $44USD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1Z4-002P-001F3

750W g3 psu. Always better to have more power than not enough. $80USD
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438093&ignorebbr=1 

and lastly save yourself $$ and get the mouse & keyboard in a combo $20USD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126332&cm_re=wireless_keyboard_and_mouse_combo-_-23-126-332-_-Product 

Total without a case $676USD

The reason I didn't do a case is it depends on what CPU cooler you go with and what you like the look of.

Personally though I highly recommend getting a Corsair H80i v1 or the H100i v1. you can overclock the shit out of it than. I have a one system that is a 8130 3.1GHz OC'd to 4.4Ghz. I also have a 8350 like above on a H80i OC'd to 5.2Ghz. Both have been used daily for 9 and 5 years respectively.

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

This is hilarious.. hook a keyboard up to your xbox and you can browse whatever webpage you want... oh yes if forgot its stuck to EDGE ;)

Pc are great 
Consoles are becoming great.. 

Neither is a king overall but in their own space yes ;)

7 hours ago, STRESSMASTER said:

A legal version of windows 7 x64 pro is all you would need for most stuff. I personally hate windows 10. Especially with all the broken updates and telemetry. Though I do recall that you need windows 8.1 for full bluetooth compatibility in all devices.

W7 can't do UHD HDR and does not support DX12.  Along with the fact its support is ending. 

Anyway, don't see why you quoted me.  I have no interest in building a HTPC, already have Xbox One S that does it media box duty pretty well (for 200 bucks, it hard to beat as a cheap media box).