Hacking?

NerdNinja

When I started to code, this is exactly what I said too,  I want to "hack" but it's not as simple as that. It's not like movies where you see green numbers moving down really fast. 

Depending on what you're trying to gain access to, it's not as hard as it may seem, but it's also not easy, you HAVE to think outside the box. Outsmart your enemy or target. 

PLEASE, don't make hacking your goal, doesn't matter what your intentions are. Start off by making small games and programs, get used to reading and writing code. Hacking, is something you learn while trying to code (At least for me). When you learn how to read code, you can see the loop holes in the program. You then a) Fix them or b) Exploit them.

Also, it's impossible to say how long it will take you to get to the level of most hackers. Everyone has a different learning pace, you might accomplish something that take 4 years in only 1.5 but remember DETERMINATION AND MOTIVATION are KEY

Source: I'm a 17 year old White Hat Hacker, meaning, I'm a good guy hacker or on the good side :) 

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

As this man says you need to learn how to code games.

and just saying it will take FUCKING ages to learn and is probably A LOT harder then you think.

Not really, I mastered multiple languages by 17............which is the age I am right now...............

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Against CoC, I think. Also illegal.

Well, this is incorrect on many levels, hacking is making some work the way you want it to, that doesn't mean only computers. You can hack a toilet paper roll onto a broom. That is one form of hacking.

Depends on what you do, friends are just less likely to call the cops.

Doing something without their permission is not right. Get a separate computer in your house, and use THAT, instead of someone else.

Depends on what you mean by hacking.

Cracking software would require programming knowledge.

Bypassing network security/accessing otherwise secured databases would require sysadmin/networking knowledge, not necessarily programming knowledge.

True, network and security stuff is more physical though, you can only do so much with coding, hacking is also where everything you've learnt comes together to form something greater.

Not really, I mastered multiple languages by 17............which is the age I am right now...............

Well done, congratulation for having easy to learn computer coding, do you want a cookie ?

Well done, congratulation for having easy to learn computer coding, do you want a cookie ?

lol, "computer coding" 

anyone can code, sure, it's intimidating but there are many things in life that are intimidating, it doesn't mean you stop. I pushed my self, isolated myself from friends and family, and only coded. I'm not a prodigy nor a genius. I'm just determined. 

lol, "computer coding" 

anyone can code, sure, it's intimidating but there are many things in life that are intimidating, it doesn't mean you stop. I pushed my self, isolated myself from friends and family, and only coded. I'm not a prodigy nor a genius. I'm just determined. 

You must have something going for you if you managed to learn more then a few code languages by your age.

You must have something going for you if you managed to learn more then a few code languages by your age.

Meh, I don't believe I'm smart in any way shape or form. I've been told I'm stupid because my marks in school aren't great. 

I'm always on forums or hanging out with smarter people, and on the internet, there are much smarter people. So I guess I put myself down by comparing myself to people that are in a completely different league 

Meh, I don't believe I'm smart in any way shape or form. I've been told I'm stupid because my marks in school aren't great. 

I'm always on forums or hanging out with smarter people, and on the internet, there are much smarter people. So I guess I put myself down by comparing myself to people that are in a completely different league 

Obviously, do you spend the same amount of time & effort in your studies you can bet your ass you would get better marks, you do not have to be smart to get okay grades.

(since even someone like me managed to graduate and get a very nice diploma in mechanical engineering and i am about as smart as a brick that got dropped a set of stairs.)

Obviously, do you spend the same amount of time & effort in your studies you can bet your ass you would get better marks, you do not have to be smart to get okay grades.

I have a 77% average. But I'm constantly around people with 85% - 90% average. 

I have a 77% average. But I'm constantly around people with 85% - 90% average. 

I do not know what that point system your country mean, but that looks good too me, do not compare yourself to other people, only compare yourself with yourself.

I do not know what that point system your country mean, but that looks good too me, do not compare yourself to other people, only compare yourself with yourself.

I'm in Canada, but my parents were born in India, they're too strict because they compare me to my cousins, so it's never enough, to the point where I stop trying because I will never reach that point that they want me to

and just saying it will take FUCKING ages to learn and is probably A LOT harder then you think.

The use of then/than also takes FUCKING ages to learn.  ;)

Wanting to learn to "hack" usually means you aren't up to the task.  Hackers are just programmers, programmers with very specific interests but still programmers.  I also highly doubt that a 17 year old is fluent in several programming languages and has a grasp of the more technical concepts and hurdles since at that point you have literally zero real world experience.  Just because you can underestand the basic concepts and know some syntax doesn't mean you "know" multiple languages, it means you've looked at a couple. 

I'm 34, I'm a senior systems programmer and I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science.  I have been coding since I was 16 years old and I would only consider myself to be fluent in a handful of languages, and even then most of my knowledge except for in the ones I work with on a daily basis (vb.net, asp.net, oracle SQL, etc) is pretty out of date.  Could I learn c#?  Yeah, it's virtually identical to vb.net but for a couple syntax differences and a handful of quirks...but the point when you're an actual programmer isn't the language...it's knowing how to solve problems. 

The things you learn is school, the things you learn from tutorials, pretty much everything you don't learn at a job is just a groundwork to prepare you for work...and to be brutally honest it's mostly worthless.  The skills I use on a daily basis are largely things I learned from my first couple classes, the tough part of coding is being able to identify problems and knowing how to solve them and that's something you only get with experience.  Not knowing how to write a program or build a webpage or "hack" into a database to retrieve information. 

Unless you want to pursue coding as a career, don't bother with hacking, cracking or scripting.  Especially if your intent is to play "pranks" on your friends.  Pranks can quickly be misunderstood and you could find yourself in a very bad situation with some authority figures knocking on your door.  I know people that's happened to, trust me when I say you don't want to be in that position.

The use of then/than also takes FUCKING ages to learn.  ;)

If english is your third language, yes.

*Insert argument about white/grey/black hat hackers here*

Unless you are going to pursue a career in writing software, or are heavily self-driven, it is very hard to learn how to program and be fluent in the myriad of languages. Additionally, with such a weak starting point as "Wanting to screw around with friends" will not give you the determination to bring you far. Also, if you mess with your friends with modifying programmes, many authorities see this as a grey area of the law and you could land yourself in trouble.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

If english is your third language, yes.

Scandinavia ftw!

• 4 weeks later...

I guess you should say "Ethical Hacking". It would be more better

Learn to code.

Get a Linux distribution.

Break it.

Learn how to fix it.

Learn to code some more.

Rinse, repeat.

Hacking is largely learning how to code, finding out how to exploit code, then fixing said exploit. At least, that's the "ethical" form of hacking. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Change programs? Mod them? Then you my friend are talking about reversal, not hacking. To alter programs and make mods for stuff you need to know assembly. Which is one step up above machine code, its used so us humans don't need to know machine code by heart. You can start with the Lena's tutorials, and playing around in Ollydbg.

Get OllyDB and learn to hex edit and other things. Basically you need to learn to code.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Against CoC, I think. Also illegal.

people like you shouldnt be here just saying 

I claim bullshit, I learned game dev in less then a year and also the sort of hacking he's looking into is something like reflection, injection so it won't take "FUCKING ages" to learn how to hack anything like that. But also we've gotta keep in mind that not everyone can be self taught and learn differently then other's so where I can pretty much learn anything programming, IT related with no problems other people might struggle because they might not have the right colleges/schools around them. I'm self taught so I have no problem learning by myself at home.

And now for my recommendation.

If you're new to programming and have no experience at all then look into basic networking tutorials/books from then on maybe buy a arduino or raspberry pi and start going crazy with it and if you still believe that you need help after mastering the basics of networking then maybe look into arduino/raspberry pi books/tutorials. Also look into I/O tutorials/books for raspberry pi because the things you can do with a pi is crazy.