So you want to buy a Dell R710?

4 hours ago, panther420 said:

bump just because I like mac pros lol I have an early 2008 

I have (or rather had) one and am in the process of converting it into an ATX compatible case.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

13 minutes ago, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

I used to work for Dell. I still have my complimentary genuine leather laptop messenger bag they give you when you get hired.

Wow I was actually joking about that but that is interesting to know. I started this topic to give perspective of someone who knows next to nothing about these servers. Only posting information I have gathered that would have been helpful to know before hitting the bid button.

I am not a fan boy of these servers...I spent over 2 hours last night posting this topic about the bull crap I went through to get a half decent machine. I'm just glad I have something that can store files and run some VMs. It's all just a hobby for me.

I'm sure people will take your opinion into consideration if they stumble on this thread while researching R710.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

6 hours ago, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

I have (or rather had) one and am in the process of converting it into an ATX compatible case.

Oh, that's really cool! I'd be interested to see what you do with it. I saw someone turn a PowerMac G5 into a Ryzen watercooled PC, so maybe you could do something like that. Anyway, they're excellent little, or should I say, enormous machines. They're one of the only still existing examples of now dead way to compute: specialized unix workstations. Even so, they're not quite as specialized as SGI systems were back in the day for instance, since they still use x86 rather than MIPS, PowerPC, SPARC, etc. SGI, Sun Microsystems, and many many others seemed untouchable in the 90s, but they've all either been acquired into companies that rarely continue their unix workstation legacy or went bankrupt.  The workstation space has been pretty much completely dominated by wintel systems, y'know, the stuff that mostly powered home and office computers in the 90s. Macs of course are also used, but like I said, they've moved over to x86 and are much more like their PC counterparts than older macs were. It's unfortunate, since SGI octanes, powermacs, etc really had that extra level of thought put in to them. That's what made them unique, and stand out from the crowd of beige and black computers at the time. 

That's just my opinion. In a way, it's good that we've all converged into two major architectures for software: x86 and arm. Makes it easier for software developers.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

2 hours ago, panther420 said:

Oh, that's really cool! I'd be interested to see what you do with it. I saw someone turn a PowerMac G5 into a Ryzen watercooled PC, so maybe you could do something like that. Anyway, they're excellent little, or should I say, enormous machines. They're one of the only still existing examples of now dead way to compute: specialized unix workstations. Even so, they're not quite as specialized as SGI systems were back in the day for instance, since they still use x86 rather than MIPS, PowerPC, SPARC, etc. SGI, Sun Microsystems, and many many others seemed untouchable in the 90s, but they've all either been acquired into companies that rarely continue their unix workstation legacy or went bankrupt.  The workstation space has been pretty much completely dominated by wintel systems, y'know, the stuff that mostly powered home and office computers in the 90s. Macs of course are also used, but like I said, they've moved over to x86 and are much more like their PC counterparts than older macs were. It's unfortunate, since SGI octanes, powermacs, etc really had that extra level of thought put in to them. That's what made them unique, and stand out from the crowd of beige and black computers at the time. 

That's just my opinion. In a way, it's good that we've all converged into two major architectures for software: x86 and arm. Makes it easier for software developers.

If I wasn't already in love with my Cougar MX330 mid tower I'd probably use the Mac Pro case. It's also beat up a little, the handle thingies are separated from the rest of the chassis on the corners and it's extremely difficult to fix that without workshop grade tools. There are always a ton of these on Craigslist though so it's not a concern.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

9 hours ago, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

If I wasn't already in love with my Cougar MX330 mid tower I'd probably use the Mac Pro case. It's also beat up a little, the handle thingies are separated from the rest of the chassis on the corners and it's extremely difficult to fix that without workshop grade tools. There are always a ton of these on Craigslist though so it's not a concern.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be a tough project to make the mac pro into a usable ATX case.

I see a lot of mac pros on craigslist but unfortunately many of the sellers know the value they have for video editors and audio producers. That's why they're still several hundred dollars despite their age. I got mine from a local PC parts shop (Freegeek, you've probably heard of them) for $200, since I don't think they really cared about it. That's the thing: in their store, they have so much junk sitting around, that if you ask them for something in their pile and go through the trouble of digging it up, they'll give you a really good ballpark deal. The reason why is because it doesn't go through their main line of sale, that is, it doesn't get refurbed by volunteers. Refurbed computers have strict price guidelines at freegeek. I also got a DVI KVM switch for $5 from them just because "it's better than ending up in a landfill" or something like that. Lmao

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

The copper heatsink

oooooooh

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

12 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The copper heatsink

oooooooh

Image result for pure copper heat sink

58 minutes ago, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

tru. that Dell one though. Mad fin density.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

16 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

tru. that Dell one though. Mad fin density.

That copper cooler I posted would cool that server better than the stock fans and copper cooler would. Too bad that would make it 4 or 5u.